• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: Saka The Net

Is Saka a world class player?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 48 38.7%
  • Close, he’ll get there soon

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • No no at all

Votes: 14 11.3%

• Total voters

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I gotta shout out my man @razörist here. He made an interesting comparison. The way Di Maria was used in Madrid’s La Decima season, in a 4-3-3 is how we could use Saka. I think his potential in that role is huge.

Around the 70th minute yesterday we went to a 4-3-3 with a midfield of Partey - ESR - Ødegaard. Ødegaard and Saka would interchange and we started playing some free flowing football. With the likes of Saka and ESR getting into promising positions.

Uncle Mikel said he eventually wants us to play in a 4-3-3 shape. I think now we have more players suited to a 4-3-3 midfield than a 4-2-3-1.
Yeah, that's an interesting comparison, Di María and Saka certainly have some similarities. But Di María is a much better passer tbf and just more of a midfielder.

I do like the idea of going with a rather radically attacking 4-3-3 against lesser sides though, the 4-3-3 you say we went to yesterday. Burnley next week could be a good opportunity to try it, honestly, though I suspect Mikel will try to fight fire with fire (not something I'm much of a fan of, but yeah) by trying to match their physicality and playing Lokonga alongside Thomas.

Saka is fine on that LW though, he gets into channels and creates problems, and while he doesn't get involved as much in the game as he would at RW facing the play and being able to be a bit more creative, that's just the reality of having two left footed wide players who are best on the right.

I'm not seeing how Sterling is not going to end up fed up at City at this rate; might be a good idea to look into selling Pepe and buying Sterling, as he'd basically do all that Pepe does for us, but allow us to play Saka in his best position on the right and Sterling on the left.

But for now Saka-Auba-Pepe looks our best front 3, and I think you're right, in certain matches, providing full fitness, we should try to stuff all our best players into the lineup with a 4-3-3 with Thomas-ESR-Ødegaard, and Saka as always helping out in midfield duties. But that can only work against sides like Burnley that don't complicate too much our getting out with the ball in our own half. Burnley, Newcastle, maybe Southampton?-- there aren't too many teams that fit this description in the league. Maybe Tottenham under Nuno honestly.

But it's one of the things I really love about the White and Tomiyasu signings. This is now at least an option, whereas against Villarreal for example it was just a disaster, in part because we just didn't have the defenders with capability on the ball and composure to make it half viable.

REWB

Saka was fine besides end product yesterday. He’s much better on rw, pepe will be benched soon based on the stinkers he’s had so far.

The posting in this thread is an embarrassment, you lots heads are gone :lol:
what? You really need to stop dismissing end product, its an extremely important thing. Its literally the difference between a good player and a crap player. He needs to improve it, and fast - because at the moment he literally has none.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It was quite interesting what we did with Saka against Norwich, he almost came into the left sided AM area quite a lot.

I think thats the kind of area he thrives in, but he just isnt in top form at the moment + is tired. I think that if you give him a bit of freedom to sometimes come deep and pick the ball up + link with Ødegaard, we have some player there. You miss that when he plays really wide right. Only issue is it leaves our left side a bit bare, but he would be able to put Tierney in and support him better rather than get in his way (the issue when you dont have an inverted winger).

I bet there would have been some managers who would be playing Saka as an LCM in a 433 right now. He looks so smooth when he comes into that channel between the wing and the middle of the pitch. I see him playing there later in his career.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I gotta shout out my man @razörist here. He made an interesting comparison. The way Di Maria was used in Madrid’s La Decima season, in a 4-3-3 is how we could use Saka. I think his potential in that role is huge.

Around the 70th minute yesterday we went to a 4-3-3 with a midfield of Partey - ESR - Ødegaard. Ødegaard and Saka would interchange and we started playing some free flowing football. With the likes of Saka and ESR getting into promising positions.

Uncle Mikel said he eventually wants us to play in a 4-3-3 shape. I think now we have more players suited to a 4-3-3 midfield than a 4-2-3-1.
Thank you bro. Thats exactly how I see Saka in an ideal world, but he is so talented, he could work anywhere on the pitch almost if we had a half decent coach.

GoonerJay24

I dont think he had a great game yesterday but he still had moments and looked dangerous.
The problem we have is getting enough goals.
The downside of young players at times is they are not always gonna produce 'numbers'
For us to have a really good season, Saka, ESR, Ode all have to be getting goals/assists. You certainly need more experienced players such as pepe & your main striker to be hitting very good numbers.

The thing is we dont know if Saka, ESR & Ode are capable of it just yet.
This has little to do with the coach tbf. Its mainly down to the players. Im sure they are all working on their finishing in training

The reason Man U transformed was fernandes coming in getting crazy numbers.

We need all our young players to up their number. a breakout season from one of them would be great.

I do think Saka is more than capable of a decent numbers and will develop that side of his game..

Van Persie alone carried us in 2012. I dont think we should expect double digits goal and assist from the younger players.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

There's always been fan speculation to whether we could use him in midfield similar to Silva/De Bruyne, think he has had a couple of games against Brighton and Sheff Utd there and looked bright. Whether that happens long term I'm not sure.

His ability to play a number of positions may hinder him in the long run. I like him on the left as I think he's better dribbling towards the byline on that side and it also keeps Pepe on the right. Tbh I still think he's looked his most dangerous at LB for us. He was the big focal point of the team from there, similar to Tierney now, but I genuinely think he was better at it.
I’d only want him at LB on a super team who are going to basically use him as an extra attacker.

He’d be wasted there at Arsenal as he’d just spend a lot of time defending. He would boss it though, there was a game he played at LB late last season where he had a ridiculous stat line. He’s basically our best attacker when he plays there which kind of sums up Arteta’s tactics.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Check last season’s thread, I been saying this! I think there was a poll about his best position back then.

give me my accolades Kmt.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I’d only want him at LB on a super team who are going to basically use him as an extra attacker.

He’d be wasted there at Arsenal as he’d just spend a lot of time defending. He would boss it though, there was a game he played at LB late last season where he had a ridiculous stat line. He’s basically our best attacker when he plays there which kind of sums up Arteta’s tactics.

Yeah I think that was the West Brom game towards the end of the season if I'm remembering right. Had some quality performances there in the early part of Arteta's time.

I should clarifiy in Arteta's system I think he's looked at his most dangerous from LB. Under someone else I don't know how they'd use him.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
what? You really need to stop dismissing end product, its an extremely important thing. Its literally the difference between a good player and a crap player. He needs to improve it, and fast - because at the moment he literally has none.

So I guess assist don't count as end product lol. The guy had the most assists of any player on the team last season and should have had more if Auba, Laca, Pepe finished all the chances he created. Holding was also another one that missed on so many headers laid to him on a platter.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Should of been benched at the end of last season when he came into poor form and should be benched now.

Won't happen though as Saka is the media darling and everyone likes him as he comes across such a nice guy.

I swear at the start of the season the sentiment was that he was not going to be playing till late Sept and maybe into early October.

The guy played so much last season, then in the summer went to play in the Euros. And had to deal with the whole race propaganda.

Saka now the face of racism being sent condescending messages to make him feel better. The guy has been through so much mentally and physically in the last year it unreal. I think he is mentally strong, but he might be burnt out pretty soon.

Plus I think people for whatever reason are trying to act like he is some generational talent like young Rooney, Fabregas, Mbappe type, but he is clearly a tier below that level. Still love the kid and believe he is our only youngster currently in the first team with world class potential.

Ciscoo

Yeah I think that was the West Brom game towards the end of the season if I'm remembering right. Had some quality performances there in the early part of Arteta's time.
Not just for us, he ran the show for England vs. Ireland at LWB. If he really wanted, I think he’d get into any side in the world as an attacking LB.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I get the points about end product and they are fair to a degree. We are never doing anything with this team unless we get more goals.

However, I thought Saka looked good against Norwich. He usually looks like one of our best players, even when he's not having an amazing match. Was heavily involved in the goal in this case. He's a useful option to have as LB/LWB in Arteta's system, agree with @AberGooner that he is a similar level to Tierney there. I think with Tierney, & now Tavares we don't really need him there except in a crisis though. He's clearly in the left wing / right wing rotation with Pepe / ESR / Martinelli. I reckon when that lot click we'll start scoring plenty like at the end of last season. So much depends on Aubameyang but he looks a lot sharper to my eye so far this season for fingers crossed. He had rapid pace a couple of times against Norwich but has lacked a bit of composure.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He rarely has a bad game. We have to be careful with him after England matches as he's barely had a rest. He never stopped moving abd forced Norwuch in to some good defending. He's also getting fouled a lot but now getting the decisions so fingers crossed he continues his firm and adds goals.

bakaboo

There is some change of mentality with Saka after the Euro. It seems that he wants to prove himself more on the pitch. He tends to take on the game by himself and Abit more on the selfish side. It kinds of affect his all round play which was excellent pre Euros.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
He’s been developing so well up to the last few games. I wouldn’t worry that he isn’t Ronaldo yet even Pires wasn’t up to much when he was 20. Saka has plenty of time to develop and he will improve as a player as he grows older. Don’t let a few average games muddy the waters here on what a good player he is.

GoonerJay24

RVP was a far better player than Auba.
I know we have to give the kids time & i dont expect them all to get double digits but playing in a forward position they should contribute decent numbers.

Technically, yes of course but Auba should still be backed to score a lot of goals throughout the season. It's the coaches job to build the team towards his strengths.

The likes of Saka and Smith-Rowe will improve productivity, I have no doubts. However, there needs to be a season of continued development and adaptation.

Top Bottom