• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Can’t really fault the tactical set up.
I struggle not to. We simply are not scoring and look so blunt in attack. We have scored two goals in five matches! Yes, we have won the last two matches, but still that is absolute poverty. Whatever you want to say about Arteta, but we aren't exactly lighting up the league with our attacking football.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

1 goal from open play in 5 games, that's worth repeating.

We maybe 13th but we're 15th for 'expected points' from our play on understat.com.

Second from bottom on goal difference, equal bottom on goals for, and we've played the worst two teams in the league.

Good job the leagues getting harder or this would be a disgrace for a club like Arsenal.
Our attack is just absolute poverty right now. The team cannot get any attacking fluidity going. At least the defence looks a bit better, but that is like you say against two bottom teams. Southampton went to Man City and got a 0-0 draw, while we were done over 5-0. Hope we can improve, but it sure doesn't look good.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I do like what he’s trying with Ödegaard + ESR, our Silva/KDB combo. Will always back an attacking mentality. Need quick succes with it or we’ll see Xhaka back in again.

I think gk, defense and midfield are all correct. But can you play this city football with attackers that have such a poor touch and final bal?

Alexs

I do like what he’s trying with Ödegaard + ESR, our Silva/KDB combo. Will always back an attacking mentality. Need quick succes with it or we’ll see Xhaka back in again.
Last year's 'discovery' happened when Willian was no longer available. This year's 'discovery' when Xhaka was unavailable. The few things he gets right he stumbles into and it looks like we're stuck with this nincompoop until May at least.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

That's your **** manager lad. Your wet dream come true. Cheers for this.
Who the hell actually wanted him in here in the first place? Is there some old poll we had before Emery and/or Arteta became managers that someone can dig up? Feel we need a South African style of Truth and Reconciliation Commission on A-M for the hiring of Arteta. To start the healing process...

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Last year's 'discovery' happened when Willian was no longer available. This year's 'discovery' when Xhaka was unavailable. The few things he gets right he stumbles into and it looks like we're stuck with this nincompoop until May at least.
Oh yeah I know, he stumbles into it. December January the kids saved him or he would have been gone already. He only played them because nothing was available.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Not a good sign when the answer is staring you in the face but you refuse to see it. Wouldn't actually surprise me one bit if Xhaka plays again once his suspension is over. "Stupid red card, play like ****? No problem, slot right back in my friend!"

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
No change from all the other games. Slow transitions, clueless in the final third, spamming crosses to nobody. Lucky win again thanks to a ridiculous foul by Westwood in a superb area.

That's not entertainment watching us back off and defend most of the match against relegation fodder
It's not a sustainable way to play, we were getting dominated by Burnley at times and they don't even want to play with the ball on the floor.

GunnerShy

There is no fight for the Top Four this season...City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United will all get in, and that will be the Top Four for probably a few more years in the future...just like in the late 2000s it was always United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

A few years ago you had...City and Liverpool neck in the neck for the title, with Arsenal/Chelsea/United/Sp**s going for Champions League.
A few years before the late 2000s Top Four era you had...Arsenal and United going for the league, with Liverpool/Newcastle/Leeds/Chelsea going for Champions League.

I don't see the difference, same thing with some different teams...it's always been a competitive competition.

Only reason I post so much about this, is I feel people are trying to diminish what Arsenal achieved back then, by saying the league is tougher now...that's not on, especially on a ****ing Arsenal forum of all places!

Arteta Out, btw...to keep things on topic
The position to target is Liverpool's.

Not this year. But Firmino, Mane, Salah, Van Dijk, Henderson, Thiago are or will be 30+ by the start of next season. That's the spine of the team that will decline. If they recruit well, they'll stay competitive, but that's a really difficult list to replace.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Never seen attacking players in such interesting spaces and situations perform so badly (Pepe, Saka, Auba). It was rather surreal. (The simple pass from Pepe to Auba which should’ve been a sure goal and he hit so softly was to kill him for) I guess the bad pitch will have affected a bit but still, really poor.

Can’t really fault the tactical set up. Not an inspiring performance but the spaces were there on a normal day to score 4 with these players putting in a better performance.

Auba is starting to worry me a bit, really poor today.

Let's not pretend like this is a new issue. Ever since Arteta has been here we have struggled to score goals and create chances. Now that can be down to two things, the tactics or the players (in reality it's both). He's had nearly 2 years to improve both of these departments now, and he's failed. Rather than adress the most obvious issue in the team, he's spent over 100million on defenders and keepers. No excuses for this bloke anymore.

GunnerShy

We are terrible.
0 points from 3 games and a -9 goal difference.

Played two absolute relegation favourites and scraped 1-0 wins.

The Norwich one was deserved, but the Burnley one could have gone either way. What's he doing with this squad during the week? Watching re-runs or MASH?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I don't think we have, but hypothetically even if we have turned a corner we probably still finish well off top 4 simply because we're not better than any of those 4 sides or anywhere close to them. I thought our best bet would've been Liverpool falling off and even that was realistic but now they seem firmly in the title race. Other than that you look at United because of Ole but their attacking qualities and a pretty decent defence make up for his poor coaching.

mpower2540

All his own players in arguably our best XI and we still played the same slow uninspiring football and struggled to a win against one of the worst sides in the league? What now?
This really really worried me. As an attacking force in the second half we were awful. We were so deep and being penned back by Burnley of all teams. You can’t play like that and expect to pick up wins consistently.

Lewis Ambrose said something along the lines of “well funnily you’d put Burnley in one of the tougher away games in this league” despite having not won at home since January or something ****e.

It was very Emery esque to me. Take the lead then try defend it by dropping deep while having zero counter threat.

I must admit I thought our forward line messed up the few situations we did have but I expected a lot more from what I think is actually a pretty good team

GunnerShy

This really really worried me. As an attacking force in the second half we were awful. We were so deep and being penned back by Burnley of all teams. You can’t play like that and expect to pick up wins consistently.

Lewis Ambrose said something along the lines of “well funnily you’d put Burnley in one of the tougher away games in this league” despite having not won at home since January or something ****e.

It was very Emery esque to me. Take the lead then try defend it by dropping deep while having zero counter threat.

I must admit I thought our forward line messed up the few situations we did have but I expected a lot more from what I think is actually a pretty good team
The positive is ESR and Saka could hardly have played worse. They will find form. Saka strangely looked timid to me. I hope he isn't carrying something.

REWB

Our best players are all Arteta/Edu signings...yet you *****'s aint trusting the process. Ramsdale, Gabrial, Tomiyasu, Tierney, Partey.

The only ones you guys moan about are the low risk, low reward cheap ones, like willian and mari. Pathetic and clutching at straws.

What players did Wenger or the past regime leave us with? Dross. 35m Mustafi, old aging Auba etc i dont need to go on...

Last edited:

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
Our best players are all Arteta/Edu signings...yet you *****'s aint trusting the process. Ramsdale, Gabrial, Tomiyasu, Tierney, Partey.

The only ones you guys moan about are the low risk, low reward cheep ones, like willian and mari. Pathetic and clutching at straws.

What players did Wenger or the past regime leave us with? Dross. 35m Mustafi, old aging Auba etc i dont need to go on...
Yes, those are his players. And I am willing to back those players. But the problem is tactically. It's stale, boring and very predictable. I don't really see any ways that that will be improved.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

The only ones you guys moan about are the low risk, low reward cheep ones, like willian and mari. Pathetic and clutching at straws.

Right well offer Arteta a new role as head scout and get in someone capable of coaching these amazing players because so far he seems incapable of getting the full potential out of this team.

Also Tierney was signed well before Arteta and we were linked with him before Edu was in the door so not sure you can give either credit for that.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom