• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Xanth

People aren't basing this off 5 games, they're basing it off almost 2 years worth of evidence. We can't create chances, we haven't been able to since Arteta has been the coach, and this season is just more evidence of that.

Comparing us to other teams to justify what we are seeing is just burying your head in the sand, let's concentrate on what we see at Arsenal and not about other teams.

It’s not burying your head in the sand to “concentrate” on other team’s problems. I’m literally talking about a balanced view incorporating both. You’re going from one end of the spectrum to another. Discuss our problems but also on a comparative basis with other teams for a grounded perspective.

Two years of evidence with lots of change in not only personnel but also tactics to a degree. I’d argue that there have been four distinct phases in that time. The first one was the 19/20 half season where we were getting relatively good results with bad performances. The second was that horrific run from the start of 20/21 until Christmas. The third is basically the “Boxing Day narrative” encapsulating a period where we performed fairly well with the Villarreal games understandably being a black mark. The fourth has started this season with a very different squad and we don’t have remotely enough data to properly evaluate it.

I think it’s fair to criticise the first two phases. In fact, I would probably have been considered a “negative” fan when Arteta first took over because I wasn’t impressed with the performances and I certainly would have been fine with him being sacked in December. However, since basically the start of the year our performances and underlying stats have been on the level of the fifth best team in the league and that’s worth considering.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I'm actually fairly happy with the squad as it stands. Really it's on Arteta to start adapting to get the most out of our best players.

Seeing Auba get starved of real service while he's still in his prime years seems such a waste.

I think most would agree that top 4 is maybe a bit beyond us this year but top 6 should be very, very attainable with this group of players.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Our best players are all Arteta/Edu signings...yet you *****'s aint trusting the process. Ramsdale, Gabrial, Tomiyasu, Tierney, Partey.

The only ones you guys moan about are the low risk, low reward cheap ones, like willian and mari. Pathetic and clutching at straws.

What players did Wenger or the past regime leave us with? Dross. 35m Mustafi, old aging Auba etc i dont need to go on...

Mad Max Reaction GIF

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Did you see before right before the game? Burnley were still watering the pitch, obviously trying to slow it down. Smart from Burnley, would have done the same.
That (or the opposite) would explain why almost every single player on the pitch had issues with weighting passes.

I expect that from Auba but Saka, Pepe and ESR are all technically able to weight a pass yet all struggled with it.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I'm actually fairly happy with the squad as it stands. Really it's on Arteta to start adapting to get the most out of our best players.

Seeing Auba get starved of real service while he's still in his prime years seems such a waste.

I think most would agree that top 4 is maybe a bit beyond us this year but top 6 should be very, very attainable with this group of players.

Auba has something like 2 goals in his last 10 starts (league starts). If that carries on he’ll be lucky to get into double figures this season.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
We have a decent base of players yes, and credit to Edu and Arteta for that.

I still wouldnt want Edteta spending our next 100 plus million though, because then we are moving into actual starting players who would be responsible for taking this team forward and closing the gap on the current top four in the league.

Give me a proper DOF and manager combination by the end of the season, and we should be in a solid position.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

That (or the opposite) would explain why almost every single player on the pitch had issues with weighting passes.

I expect that from Auba but Saka, Pepe and ESR are all technically able to weight a pass yet all struggled with it.
Arteta said that the grass was long, and White said the grass was dry.

Both mean that the ball travels a shorter distance.

Burnley tried their tricks and almost succeeded. I just don't understand how Arsenal players aren't ready for such things.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Did you see before right before the game? Burnley were still watering the pitch, obviously trying to slow it down. Smart from Burnley, would have done the same.

Burnley do this all the time, it's a common theme across football, pitches aid the home club in certain way. Wenger spoke out about this alot.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Arteta said that the grass was long, and White said the grass was dry.

Both mean that the ball travels a shorter distance.

Burnley tried their tricks and almost succeeded. I just don't understand how Arsenal players aren't ready for such things.
I see, I’m willing to accept this as an explanation.

Pathetic stuff from Burnley but fair enough, it definitely cost us a few goals which means it was successful. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re the only PL club doing that, they need to get relegated.

GunnerShy

The reason why these players were offered extensions is because we cant just get rid without attempting to get value from them first, its the past regimes fault that these contracts were running so low without them being sold for good money.

Players like Xhaka are still one of our most experienced midfielders. This summer we might have not had the funds (or opportunity) to *significantly upgrade on him. He was our best midfielder last season, thats how bad Wenger left the state of this club. Xhaka was our best midfielder.... And still is our second best CM after Partey.

Auba is our best striker and played well in the FA cup winning season (under Arteta)...so we couldnt just get rid on a free. Yet he has gone off it because he is past his peak but now all of a sudden its "Arteta's system", when he was playing well before the contact...
This is up there with Billy Maddison's speech about the industrial revolution.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Question is, do they sack him if he finishes 8th again?

They should, but I don't think they will.
I imagine he’ll be sacked if we’re 8th and practically out of the race for 4th by Xmas. Absolutely no chance he’s allowed to continue if we finish 8th or lower again. 6th will most probably see him sacked, and so it should. Add to that the brand of football and he’s history.

drippin

Pathetic stuff from Burnley but fair enough, it definitely cost us a few goals which means it was successful. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re the only PL club doing that, they need to get relegated.
I put this in the match thread. I would think it's pretty normal stuff, so I'm baffled how our players can't handle such things.

Arteta:

on Kieran Tierney's substitution...
"He had a problem and he was cramping. The pitch was pretty difficult today. It was long and it was pretty warm to be playing here and some players suffered in the last 10 or 15 minutes."

White:

"It was a tough one...my heart skipped for a second, it was really really dry out there today, the pass back didn’t get there at all and luckily Aaron was there to save me."

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Holy crap, these excuses is crap.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
The position to target is Liverpool's.

Not this year. But Firmino, Mane, Salah, Van Dijk, Henderson, Thiago are or will be 30+ by the start of next season. That's the spine of the team that will decline. If they recruit well, they'll stay competitive, but that's a really difficult list to replace.
Just cos players turn 30 doesn’t mean they’ll decline straight away lmao a lot of
the best players in the world are 30+.

Arsenal fans too obsessed with youth they think anyone over 23 is a ticking time bomb. Liverpool still have some of the best players in the league and will compete at the top as long as they stay fit.

drippin

Your comments are crap, I don't care if they're excuses.

We're trying to understand what happened, and Arteta could even be blamed if the players aren't ready for away game pitches.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

It’s not an excuse it just is what it is.

In the heat of the moment, under pressure from a defender as a player who has always played on slick pitches I doubt the first thing that’s going to come to your mind is “oh the pitch is dry let me put a bit more weight on it”.

That’s exactly why Burnley did it?

Xanth

Any attempt at explaining something or discovering the reason behind it qualifies as an excuse, I’m afraid.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’m pretty sure the pitch was of poor standard, everybody even our most technically secure guys underhit their passes. Was plain to see.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom