• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
But Everton were consistently pushing the top four under Moyes then Martinez?

They just fell away in May like Leicester have done in recent years.
I never mentioned Everton. There's always been teams pushing the top 4 if they have an outstanding season but for 7/8 the CL places were a foregone conclusion in August, that hasn't been the case in recent seasons.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I never mentioned Everton. There's always been teams pushing the top 4 if they have an outstanding season but for 7/8 the CL places were a foregone conclusion in August, that hasn't been the case in recent seasons.
That’s because us and Sp**s have dropped off considerably and let others take our place.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Their owner Matthew Bentham, is an Oxford physics graduate, and has spent years becoming a sort of football scientist. He made his millions through a company called Smartodds: a team of statisticians who calculate the outcome of football matches to gain an edge over bookmakers.

He’s using data and models to try and overcome the money disadvantage. It’s the closest thing to moneyball the Prem’s ever had and I wish him luck because the odds are stacked against him. But I respect people using ‘smart’ to try and level a very sloping playing field.

The odds aren’t really “stacked against you” as an owner if you can pump 200M plus into your club.

In my eyes the odds are against Norwich and Barnsley who try to outsmart the market with much less financial backing.

It’s easy to innovate when you’re richer than a lot of your counterparts.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah but aren’t Leicester just filling the void that Everton left at the start of the 2010s?

I mean they spent big on Lukaku without CL football and every year were knocking on the door.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Yeah but aren’t Leicester just filling the void that Everton left at the start of the 2010s?

I mean they spent big on Lukaku without CL football and every year were knocking on the door.
I think the difference is that Leicester have two trophies to show for it and look to have staying power. Everton were also rans apart from the 04/05 season.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The odds aren’t really “stacked against you” as an owner if you can pump 200M plus into your club.

In my eyes the odds are against Norwich and Barnsley who try to outsmart the market with much less financial backing.

It’s easy to innovate when you’re richer than a lot of your counterparts.
The Burnley, Watford Brentford and Norwich squad cost are so similar as to not make any difference (Sept 2021 figures ).

I'd rather the Brentford model of using ideas and data models to buy and sell players in a smart fashion than doing deals with dodgy agents like Kia. Respect to them.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The Burnley, Watford Brentford and Norwich squad cost are so similar as to not make any difference (Sept 2021 figures ).

I'd rather the Brentford model of using ideas and data models to buy and sell players in a smart fashion than doing deals with dodgy agents like Kia. Respect to them.

But you’re looking at solely on the field spend.

The club has had huge sums pumped into it which dwarfs Norwich and others so the squad cost angle is only part of the picture.

Yes they spend money well but it’s easier when you can throw more cash at cutting edge analytics, scouts and coaches.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think the difference is that Leicester have two trophies to show for it and look to have staying power. Everton were also rans apart from the 04/05 season.

Everton had staying power. They really should have got top four more but as with Leicester fell away at the end.

The cups are a bit of a lottery. Everton consistently went deep in the FA Cup but didn’t get the luck Leicester did when they won it.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

But you’re looking at solely on the field spend.

The club has had huge sums pumped into it which dwarfs Norwich and others so the squad cost angle is only part of the picture.

Yes they spend money well but it’s easier when you can throw more cash at cutting edge analytics, scouts and coaches.
I'm not sure how much has gone into the club, so I'll leave that one. But in principal the idea that you can beat the odds by being smart is one I applaud, and I really hope they do well. But more importantly can sustain it with a dynamic data model.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Everton had staying power. They really should have got top four more but as with Leicester fell away at the end.

The cups are a bit of a lottery. Everton consistently went deep in the FA Cup but didn’t get the luck Leicester did when they won it.
After Moyes left Everton haven't been a consistent top 4 contender:
Untitled.jpg

They finished 10th or lower in half of those seasons

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Guys like Antonio and DCL are statistically amongst the top strikers in the league,
Guys like Townsend and god knows who else are still kicking around in mid table clubs
be serious guys abeg

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

After Moyes left Everton haven't been a consistent top 4 contender:
Untitled.jpg

They finished 10th or lower in half of those seasons

Yeah but I’d say from 2004/05 until Martinez’ second season they should have got in a few times.

They contended quite a bit during that decade before they started blowing money on dross.

Reactions: A_G

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
Brighton will go top if they win their next match. Brentford almost beating Liverpool. But but but the league is getting harder. :lol:
What kind of logic is this even? You can litteraly apply this the other way around too.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
People acting like more teams competing for top 6 is a big deal when the reality is that after the top 3-4 teams, there are just equally mediocre teams fighting for top 6. Make no mistake, Arsène's squad with Squillaci and Chamakh would steamroll this Arteta XI and Nuno's Sp**s XI and also Aston Villa and Leicester (Who we beat even when they won the title)

Top Bottom