• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nuno Tavares: The False #3

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Definitely get the comparison, they both have that slightly unpredictable edge that can be spectacular or end down an alley.

Obviously Tavares is much younger and should have the capacity to improve. I actually think that Pepe is much more refined now than when he first joined as well. He works a lot harder out of possession and seems to give the ball away less.

I think Tavares is fortunate playing in this era. I don't think there's been a time in football where defensive ability matters less for a FB / WB. With his attacking inclinations and his athletic ability he's 3/4's of the way there already.

We've only really seen him up against pretty poor opposition though. For me he's got a long way to go if he wants to usurp KT, who admittedly hadn't been at his best recently but still has a hell of a lot of credit in the bank.

I prefer to see Tavares as a long term project and an understudy to KT as it stands.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I think Tavares is fortunate playing in this era. I don't think there's been a time in football where defensive ability matters less for a FB / WB. With his attacking inclinations and his athletic ability he's 3/4's of the way there already.
Saying that it makes it weird that you consider KT to be a starter in an era where there is a demand from defenders to be comfortable on the ball, something KT clearly isn't.

We have two very different LB's, which is perfectly fine, but I struggle to see Arteta benching KT even if he is out of form or for some games where it would be better to have Tavares. There are a couple of players with special status in this squad, and it sucks for Tavares that Tierney is one of them, and it won't matter much if he is better than Tierney or not. Tavares will play only as a backup option when Tierney needs a rest or he gets injured, and that will be decided purely on the status, not quality or form

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Saying that it makes it weird that you consider KT to be a starter in an era where there is a demand from defenders to be comfortable on the ball, something KT clearly isn't.

We have two very different LB's, which is perfectly fine, but I struggle to see Arteta benching KT even if he is out of form or for some games where it would be better to have Tavares. There are a couple of players with special status in this squad, and it sucks for Tavares that Tierney is one of them, and it won't matter much if he is better than Tierney or not. Tavares will play only as a backup option when Tierney needs a rest or he gets injured, and that will be decided purely on the status, not quality or form

KT's somewhat limited on the ball, I'll admit but I don't think it holds him back too much. He's usually pretty effective going forwards and is a little underated defensively.

I think we're putting the cart ahead of the horse with Tavares as it stands.
We're basically judging him on a PL match against a poor Villa side and 2 Carabao Cup matches against non PL sides.

He deserves credit for playing well and I hope he gets the start against Leeds tomorrow but I think it's way too early to be thinking of him as real competition for KT.

There are loads of good things I like about him but from what I've seen of him he's defensively pretty poor, his positional really needs working on and his decision making is fairly erratic at times. Nothing you wouldn't expect for a player of his relative inexperience.

I just get concerned that he'll get thrown in the deep end against good sides and his flaws get exposed.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

One of the best things with Tavares playing well is that it puts some pressure on KT to perform. We need more competition for spots and having another good LB is a big plus. We need good options everywhere. Will just help overall and keep starters on their toes.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Just realised he was robbed of what should have been a guaranteed assist but if I speak on that I’ll be in huge trouble.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Hes certainly great fun to watch, really exciting & has potential.
IMHO though I wouldnt want him starting tough games ahead of a fit KT.
Lets see how he develops though.
I think obviously having Tomi as defensive minded RB means we can use him at LB. Certainly can work against weak teams at home or when putting in a top performance like we did against Villa .
Would not feel so comfortable if playing Liverpool away.

Last edited:

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Tierney at his best is when he's able to time his runs well and overlap. He hasn't got much variation to his play. He's a kick and run merchant and quite brittle. As for Nino he's more durable and rangy. He's definitely in the Traore/Davies mould so he can take players on and be a nightmare to defend against. Personally, I think we should be rotating our fullbacks more often.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

For the £7m that he cost us, his age and relative inexperience you're not going to get a fully formed player.

From what I've seen of him so far, admittedly against poor opposition I'm putting him in the 'Good buy' category. Hopefully with a bit more experience he'll push on but even if not we'll be able to sell him on for a nice profit at some stage down the line.

Definitely one of the more fun players to watch in our squad. Seems a bit of a character too which I like.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I remember when we hyped up Andre Santos after one game....

Probably the most skilful fullback in the history of Arsenal football club, tbh.

Shame exercise to him, was just walking between Burger King and KFC.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Probably the most skilful fullback in the history of Arsenal football club, tbh.

Shame exercise to him, was just walking between Burger King and KFC.
You're forgetting about Silvinho - that dude was a proper baller.

TheIceman85

Just realised he was robbed of what should have been a guaranteed assist but if I speak on that I’ll be in huge trouble.
Nope, it’s true. Weak finish from Saka who needs to work on that because he gets in to good positions. He might have even had time to take a touch on to his left foot.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Think you'll see battlelines being drawn along the pro and anti Pepe lines with Tavares if he gets a prolonged period in the starting eleven.
If people don't exaggerate his sh*tness and take Nuno for what he is, an understudy - then no battlelines will be drawn.

People always overdo it on this forum and you end up finding yourself talking up the likes of Xhaka cause a group on this forum are convinced he's the worst player in the league.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Another solid display. Showed me something in defence today, never looked like an area Leicester could target.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I’ll be disappointed if Tierney starts once he’s fit. Tavares adds another dimension to our play. He can go outside you or inside and even has a few tricks in his locker. Tierney is just kick and run and that’s not working out for him at the minute.

Last edited:
Top Bottom