• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rob Holding: Robbing a Living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I rate him as a 3rd choice CB for us, but damn he would be a starter for Man U. To this day I still can't understand how Maguire was a 70m transfer deal and what he offers more, it's just media propaganda and being at United that gives him the advantage

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Reminds me a bit of Johnny Evans.

No frills, gets the job done sort of CB who will never be flavour of the month. Solid performer when called upon though.

White, Gabriel, Saliba and Holding would be my preferred CB core next season.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Reminds me a bit of Johnny Evans.

No frills, gets the job done sort of CB who will never be flavour of the month. Solid performer when called upon though.

White, Gabriel, Saliba and Holding would be my preferred CB core next season.
Holding's decent, I've never understood the hate he gets. Don't see a big drop off in quality from White to him which is what you need if there are injuries. He's a perfect 4th choice if Saliba returns. I get the argument that Tomiyasu would be a great CB but we really need him at right back so it's emergencies only

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Holding's decent, I've never understood the hate he gets. Don't see a big drop off in quality from White to him which is what you need if there are injuries. He's a perfect 4th choice if Saliba returns. I get the argument that Tomiyasu would be a great CB but we really need him at right back so it's emergencies only
It might be time for Holding to move on, but we do have him on contract until 2024, and an option for another year. He does deserve to start for his career at this point imo (not at Arsenal).

That's very nice, he has just turned 26 years old, is HG and a solid EPL defender. We will make a very nice profit on him in a year or two, and he has been involved in two FA cup trophies. I have always liked him.

Depending on our finances, I would maybe still buy a starting RB, and sell Holding. Then we would have Tomiyasu as 2nd RB or 1st if the newcomer doesn't perform well.

A more attacking starting RB (who can also defend) would give us more options for tactics, so it would be a good addition.

Tomiyasu and White both have the qualities to cover many positions. And Tomiyasu was pretty cheap and is happy to be at Arsenal, humble guy.

But it's great that we have Holding on contract until 2025 if needed. That's the way to do it (a bit sly), to first extend a rotation option, and then buy guys like White & Tomiyasu, plus hopefully get Saliba back.

Holding is screwed basically, but he should have market and we can sell him for a proper offer.

Barry

It might be time for Holding to move on, but we do have him on contract until 2024, and an option for another year. He does deserve to start for his career at this point imo (not at Arsenal).

That's very nice, he has just turned 26 years old, is HG and a solid EPL defender. We will make a very nice profit on him in a year or two, and he has been involved in two FA cup trophies. I have always liked him.

Depending on our finances, I would maybe still buy a starting RB, and sell Holding. Then we would have Tomiyasu as 2nd RB or 1st if the newcomer doesn't perform well.

A more attacking starting RB (who can also defend) would give us more options for tactics, so it would be a good addition.

Tomiyasu and White both have the qualities to cover many positions. And Tomiyasu was pretty cheap and is happy to be at Arsenal, humble guy.

But it's great that we have Holding on contract until 2025 if needed.
Pretty much agree with all of this. It's one of those where if the player wants to leave and a decent fee comes in then it's fine all round. Don't see him as deadwood though personally.

Definitely see the logic in signing - say - a Tyler Adams type full back and then utilising Tomi across both positions. Think it's more likely that we keep Holding though, Chambers & Cedric don't look like they are going anywhere fast either

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Pretty much agree with all of this. It's one of those where if the player wants to leave and a decent fee comes in then it's fine all round. Don't see him as deadwood though personally.

Definitely see the logic in signing - say - a Tyler Adams type full back and then utilising Tomi across both positions. Think it's more likely that we keep Holding though, Chambers & Cedric don't look like they are going anywhere fast either
Chambers contract ends next summer, so he will leave for free. Cedric's will end 2024, so he will stay, he is deadwood for us now. He is our ultimate backup for LB & RB, third choice for both hopefully.

Gabriel, White, Saliba, Tomiyasu.. is that enough CB's for a season with Europe? If not, then Holding will stay at least one more year. But we do have Mari (contract 2024), so either him or Holding will be sold.

Holding will get us much more money, and he deserves to start somewhere after his service for us. He might not be very happy being 4th/5th choice with his level, but Mari is more like that level player.

Of course I would be happier to have Holding as that kind of choice, but that will leave us with less money to spend. We could get a good offer for Holding, and a good player with 3 years in contract will always provide good money.

Also I'm not sure how good Tyler Adams is, but I think we need real starting quality now. Not similar level players.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

I think distribution has been a fair criticism of him but I'm partial to having one CB out of our options who is just a no frills, uncomplicated defender who doesn't mind doing the dirty work.

Also he's not on massive wages and counts towards a HG place so there's value in him there too.

Barry

I think distribution has been a fair criticism of him but I'm partial to having one CB out of our options who is just a no frills, uncomplicated defender who doesn't mind doing the dirty work.

Also he's not on massive wages and counts towards a HG place so there's value in him there too.
I think the distribution thing gets overblown though. He had better passing stats than White last season. I saw someone explain it that he's not as good under pressure at executing those passes which is probably fair, but watch the Leeds match player highlights. He did a couple of brilliant forward passes there.

White has a slightly higher ceiling imo & Saliba definitely so. Holding's your steady-eddie guy, always in there with the 7/10 performance. If we can keep him as a backup for a few years I'd have no complaints at all.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
If he's not complaining about first team chances, he should definitely stay as 4th choice cb.

Tomb Bombadil

I think the distribution thing gets overblown though. He had better passing stats than White last season. I saw someone explain it that he's not as good under pressure at executing those passes which is probably fair, but watch the Leeds match player highlights. He did a couple of brilliant forward passes there.

White has a slightly higher ceiling imo & Saliba definitely so. Holding's your steady-eddie guy, always in there with the 7/10 performance. If we can keep him as a backup for a few years I'd have no complaints at all.
What kind of better passing stats? I really like Holding but passing is definitly not his strength. That's just from watching him no stats.

That's why I even think Chambers might be a better replacement for White.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

I think the passing stats from last season may be a bit deceptive.

I think Holding would generally play the safe ball more often than not. White is a bit more expansive with his passing range so I'm not surprised he gave the ball away a bit more.

I definitely think Holding has improved in his distribution this season and is a bit less safety first with it, which is a nice improvement.

Definitely agree with your analysis of Holding though. He's the sort of player that the better he plays, the less you notice him. Just goes about his job quietly but effectively. He's just not a highlights reel CB and never will be and I'm totally fine with that.

Not every CB needs to be able to do Cruyff turns in his own box or come galloping out of defence with the ball at his feet.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

If you don't rate Holding you don't know ball tbh, just jumping on a hate bandwagon.

Hard for me to properly rate him after some of the horror shows last year.

If Koscielny had left Sterling all alone in the six yard to score a free header you’d have been arrested for hate speech.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Hard for me to properly rate him after some of the horror shows last year.

If Koscielny had left Sterling all alone in the six yard to score a free header you’d have been arrested for hate speech.
Koscielny use to do sh*t like that every game wtf :lol: he was 10x the liability Holding holding ever was.

There’s 2 things people seem to hold over Holding that’s the Sterling header (which is a minor really happens to every defender) and standing off the challenge against Villa which was most likely managers instructions.

Other than that he’s was pretty flawless last season, compared to Koscielny who would literally do something stupid every game but we weren’t always punished for it.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Koscielny use to do sh*t like that every game wtf :lol: he was 10x the liability Holding holding ever was.

There’s 2 things people seem to hold over Holding that’s the Sterling header (which is a minor really happens to every defender) and standing off the challenge against Villa which was most likely managers instructions.

Other than that he’s was pretty flawless last season, compared to Koscielny who would literally do something stupid every game but we weren’t always punished for it.

I mean it wasn’t the only thing was it? Getting dominated in the air by another midget in Jota for his header and then put in the spin cycle by Mane for their third goal when Liverpool battered us.

Letting DCL make a goal side run off him to score when Everton beat us, losing his man in the EL for Villarreal to score the goal that ended up knocking us out.

Shocking performance against Villa when they battered us 3-0 and gives Son an age to shoot from distance when they beat us in the NLD and there’s many more.

The guy is bang average and if he’s in the team for any amount of time he starts racking up the mistakes but as soon as he’s out people start forgetting how poor he actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom