• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang: Auba And Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Harsh to attribute us losing out on CL to that penalty miss. The results at home to Brighton and Palace sealed our fate really. Plus that was our first win away at OT since I was a virgin, we needed that monkey off our back.
Harsh to attribute dropping 2 points against the team that finished one place above us by one point in the last CL place to us losing out on CL? Kind of like saying it's harsh to attribute the theft of my television to the bloke I saw leaving my house with my television.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Nah I totally agree with you, and it seems like a waste of his abilities if asking him to up the work rate is effecting his ability to score goals (I don't really see this as the problem to be honest, I think he's just missing those chances at the moment, rather than being in the wrong areas of the pitch).

That said though, if the team continues winning it's less of a problem and you can put it down as part of his overall contribution.

Sure, we’re on a winning streak but our goal difference is still zero, which tells you we don’t score enough and the wins will dry up. Same old story under Tets, can’t score can’t create.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
It's really not, first of all look up the amount of players who have missed 4 penalties or more before bringing up the all time great penalty takers.

Furthermore look up the amount of penalties City missed collectively in their most recent seasons, they don't even have a designated taker anymore because of it and they don't seem to do that badly?

Disingenuous to blame one guy for not finishing top 4 or winning matches with the amount of personnel involved. Oh, and Aubameyang to date still doesn't have the worst ratio at the club even after 14 penalties:

View attachment 4930

The only guys who have taken as many penalties as Auba and not missed as many are Henry and Wrighty who were next level elite.

It's for the best Auba takes them anyways, our other options there would be way too much vitriol if they ever missed and aren't always on the pitch anyways (Laca and Pepe).
Interesting input. However I the conversion rate in the Prem across all sides on the last study I found over a number of seasons was around 79%. This season so far its slightly above 80%
I certainly dont wanna bash on auba or any individual but you should expect to score 75% of pens.
So if we are not scoring around that level & Auba is at 65% we are likely underperforming according to the stats.
That is not saying i think Auba should not be on pens btw.

Fair point you make about Laca & Pepe, also with having such a young team I am not sure if anyone else should be taking them.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Sure, we’re on a winning streak but our goal difference is still zero, which tells you we don’t score enough and the wins will dry up. Same old story under Tets, can’t score can’t create.
The graphic from MOTD showed that we've scored 14 goals in our last 8 matches - which was 3rd best in the league, and also we're 4th in the league for shots on target over that period. So it's not the same story, it's a bit of an AM myth. Question is whether can sustain that against the better teams and fit the season.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
The graphic from MOTD showed that we've scored 14 goals in our last 8 matches - which was 3rd best in the league, and also we're 4th in the league for shots on target over that period. So it's not the same story, it's a bit of an AM myth. Question is whether can sustain that against the better teams and fit the season.

I don’t think it’s a myth though, do you really feel in your bones that we’re a good attacking team? Of course not, every game feels like a throw of the dice on whether we’ll score or not.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I don’t think it’s a myth though, do you really feel in your bones that we’re a good attacking team? Of course not, every game feels like a throw of the dice on whether we’ll score or not.
I agree with you that we don't yet have consistent attacking fluency - we're not a great attacking team at the moment. I look at our team now and the defence feels like it has genuinely clicked into place; the attack has promise but doesn't have consistency yet. But you made the point that our negative goal difference showed that we can't attack and that this was the same story as always with Arteta.

This isn't supported by our latest run of form - we are actually near the top of the table over those games in most numbers including shots conceded and shots on target and goals scored. Negative goal difference reflects that we were really bad over 3 games and haven't hit a cricket score against anyone yet. Personally I don't think those numbers will survive first contact with Liverpool but judging right now they show progress in our efforts as a team.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

When the lucky bounces/deflections and freak incidents stop happening those who won’t hear will feel. Against Watford we were actually unlucky to not score more but up until then I’m getting strong Emery running from the xG vibes.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

This is a different take on Auba's contribution -

"In 2021/21, Auba is averaging 1.6 tackles, 16.9 pressures, 1.48 blocks per game whilst winning 48% of his aerial duels. Not only are these statistics significantly higher than last season, but they are among the highest in the league for players in his position. His 0.57 tackles per game in the defensive third is the highest of any forward in the top flight, with the average being 0.19" (all stats via fbref.com).

This is why I cba with the club these days. This article is everything wrong with Artetaball I just can’t.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Yeah, Watford aside, it's hard to blame Auba... he's having a good season so far, imo.

We just don't create as much as we used to, we aren't as attacking as we used to be.

Still feel he will score a decent amount this year.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

4/13 is pretty bad tbh and I’ve got lots of time for Auba.
The more you take, the more likely it is you’re going to have anywhere from a 60-70% record from the spot. Doesn’t take into account the rebounds you score as well.

I low-key think Auba is rubbed (as per that article praising his defensive work which is wack to me ) so it’s not a case of me blindly defending him, just think people are making a big deal of nothing because it suits whatever agenda.

On top of this the alternatives aren’t realistic for a variety of reasons. They are either bench fodder or wouldn’t make it out the Emirates should they miss.

Last edited:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I really struggle to see the Auba in decline arguement, at all.

You look at the workrate that he's putting in and it's exceptional. A player in physical decline isn't going to be doing what Auba is.

He's our top scorer, exceeding his xG, not particularly surprised about that, he's a great goalscorer. You don't lose the ability to finish with age, or movement or anticipation.

Basically it boils down to fans not liking how Arteta is deploying him and what role he's asking him to play. That's fair enough, I largely agree with the criticism of Arteta there.
I just don't see any decline in Auba himself, whatsoever.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

When the lucky bounces/deflections and freak incidents stop happening those who won’t hear will feel. Against Watford we were actually unlucky to not score more but up until then I’m getting strong Emery running from the xG vibes.

Palace should have put us to bed, Brighton created more and better chances than us while Leicester would've at least scored two if not for Ramsdale. We also barely created anything Vs Burnley and almost let Sp**s back in it.

If we're being brutally honest and maybe a bit critical you could argue we're not as good as we seem at both aspects and have been rather fortunate.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Basically it boils down to fans not liking how Arteta is deploying him and what role he's asking him to play. That's fair enough, I largely agree with the criticism of Arteta there.
I just don't see any decline in Auba himself, whatsoever.
This for me. I called him rubbed because I don’t really like what I’m seeing but I wouldn’t say he’s in decline. Physically he’s clearly not and I’ve gone out my way many times to argue against the age bias on here.

I think looking at defensive stats is a wack perspective for an attacker and not something I particularly care about. I’d only bring up defensive stats when people flippantly say “x player is lazy/doesn’t track back”.

If a player lacks talent or any flair what so ever (Martinelli the latter), those type of players I’d say, yeah they have to step up the hustle otherwise they would contribute very little.

jus2nang

Harsh to attribute dropping 2 points against the team that finished one place above us by one point in the last CL place to us losing out on CL? Kind of like saying it's harsh to attribute the theft of my television to the bloke I saw leaving my house with my television.
Without his goals we might not have even been up there in contention in the first place.

I'm sure we could point to several winners and/or equalisers that season.

Mraven

Palace should have put us to bed, Brighton created more and better chances than us while Leicester would've at least scored two if not for Ramsdale. We also barely created anything Vs Burnley and almost let Sp**s back in it.

If we're being brutally honest and maybe a bit critical you could argue we're not as good as we seem at both aspects and have been rather fortunate.
Although it's funny to hand pick games, all teams have bad games. Palace comfortably beat Man City and Brighton were unlucky not to win against Liverpool. Guess Pep and Klopps luck should run out soon too.

Also I don't understand where this xG nonsense comes from. We might not have scored a lot of goals yet, but we are not outscoring our xG. The biggest overperformers in that regard is Chelsea.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Although it's funny to hand pick games, all teams have bad games. Palace comfortably beat Man City and Brighton were unlucky not to win against Liverpool. Guess Pep and Klopps luck should run out soon too.

Also I don't understand where this xG nonsense comes from. We might not have scored a lot of goals yet, but we are not outscoring our xG. The biggest overperformers in that regard is Chelsea.
Some people on here just want to constantly find an excuse to bash either the manager or team.

Its actually pretty sad tbh.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

A lot of people have told themselves he’s physically declined before it’s even happened. Still one of the fastest on the pitch and at the club, shows no sign of any slowdown especially watching him press in vain several weeks in a row. Still doing somersault celebrations.

Not sure what people are seeing at all. If he’s lost a step, it’s very marginal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom