• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emile Smith Rowe: Arsenal Career on Death Rowe?

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Do you think he'll remain patient? There is no doubt the current front 4 is our most balanced. Its harsh on ESR but Martinelli just offers too much, both in attack and defence.

This season, he's only played well in a handful of games but he's chipped away with goals which has driven the media narrative of him dragging this club from the slums. I just hope he doesn't buy into that, keeps working, and remains patient.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Do you think he'll remain patient? There is no doubt the current front 4 is our most balanced. Its harsh on ESR but Martinelli just offers too much, both in attack and defence.

This season, he's only played well in a handful of games but he's chipped away with goals which has driven the media narrative of him dragging this club from the slums. I just hope he doesn't buy into that, keeps working, and remains patient.
I think a ‘handful’ plays down what he’s produced this year, to my mind he was very good in our opening games when we were playing very poorly and continued to produce on a number of occasions after that.

I agree Martinelli is the more natural fit for our current set up and should continue.

The difficulty for ESR is that it’s a bit hazy as to what he will be at the moment, 8, 10 or lw. There are a lot of directions his game could expand in to, the goals he’s scored have tended to be late arrivals or runs from deep i.e. midfielders goals, perhaps that should be the starting point for what happens to him. He’ll be unhappy for now but I’m sure Arteta’s thinking hard about precisely what to do with him.

I still think he has potential as a 10 in a different set up.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I think a ‘handful’ plays down what he’s produced this year, to my mind he was very good in our opening games when we were playing very poorly and continued to produce on a number of occasions after that.

I agree Martinelli is the more natural fit for our current set up and should continue.

The difficulty for ESR is that it’s a bit hazy as to what he will be at the moment, 8, 10 or lw. There are a lot of directions his game could expand in to, the goals he’s scored have tended to be late arrivals or runs from deep i.e. midfielders goals, perhaps that should be the starting point for what happens to him. He’ll be unhappy for now but I’m sure Arteta’s thinking hard about precisely what to do with him.

I still think he has potential as a 10 in a different set up.

Yeah he could play 10 with Lacazette in the side, but we'd lose a lot in not having Ødegaard there. We'd need a more incisive playmaker than Xhaka behind.

I'm pretty sure ESR future lies on the wing. He doesn't have a natural feel for tempo or playmaking/passing. His best attribute is ball carrying. Either way, he should still get plenty of games next season, especially if we make Europe.

Mudi

He needs to adapt his game type to a false 9. A similar role to Wayne Rooney. Coming deep and running behind the defenders. I don't see him on the winger but more as a number 9/10. So hopefully he can change his style and be a big part of the front four of this team.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
He needs to adapt his game type to a false 9. A similar role to Wayne Rooney. Coming deep and running behind the defenders. I don't see him on the winger but more as a number 9/10. So hopefully he can change his style and be a big part of the front four of this team.
Why don't you see him as a winger?

Mudi

Why don't you see him as a winger?

On the winger, he reminds me of the scumbag Nasri: an inside winger. Which is not bad but for our play requires one that runs the line instead of making the center crowded.

Look at the following (I don't know which game but it shows his style on the wings).

He wins the ball on the half and starts the counter. Finds immed. the free player but instead of opening the space, he closes the center making it easier for the opponent to defend. Martinelli and Saka are thefore more suited for us to play the winger than ESR. I still believe that we should try him as a false 9.

ESR 1.PNGESR 2.PNGESR 3.pngESR 4.png

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
On the winger, he reminds me of the scumbag Nasri: an inside winger. Which is not bad but for our play requires one that runs the line instead of making the center crowded.

Look at the following (I don't know which game but it shows his style on the wings).

He wins the ball on the half and starts the counter. Finds immed. the free player but instead of opening the space, he closes the center making it easier for the opponent to defend. Martinelli and Saka are thefore more suited for us to play the winger than ESR. I still believe that we should try him as a false 9.

View attachment 5423View attachment 5424View attachment 5425View attachment 5426
Interesting points. I can't agree though. I think he's struggled when playing centrally. Out wide, he finds himself with more space, and its easier for him to make them late runs into the box. I think he needs to remain patient, we know Mikel isn't one to rotate a settled 11, but his time will come as he can fill in at all 3 positions behind the striker.

samspade

Interesting points. I can't agree though. I think he's struggled when playing centrally. Out wide, he finds himself with more space, and its easier for him to make them late runs into the box. I think he needs to remain patient, we know Mikel isn't one to rotate a settled 11, but his time will come as he can fill in at all 3 positions behind the striker.
It’s difficult to make the accusations someone has struggled in a position when they’ve barely played in said position. How many minutes has he played there this season? Players need consistency to perform. Obviously fair enough if you just don’t think he has the skill set to ever do it.

Most 10’s are not there to control games, I think we’re more in need of it because the mf isn’t providing us with enough.

Did you like none of his performances from 10 last season?

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
It’s difficult to make the accusations someone has struggled in a position when they’ve barely played in said position. How many minutes has he played there this season? Players need consistency to perform. Obviously fair enough if you just don’t think he has the skill set to ever do it.

Most 10’s are not there to control games, I think we’re more in need of it because the mf isn’t providing us with enough.

Did you like none of his performances from 10 last season?

From memory, I liked one, the game vs WBA.

A 10 or Attacking midfielder, whatever they are called now, needs to control attacks. Ødegaard does that, he has a feel for tempo, a weight of pass, awareness. ESR doesn't have that to the same level, his best attribute is his ability to carry and drive with the ball.

If we could merge Ødegaard and Smith Rowe into one player, we'd have the ideal attacking mid.

samspade

From memory, I liked one, the game vs WBA.

A 10 or Attacking midfielder, whatever they are called now, needs to control attacks. Ødegaard does that, he has a feel for tempo, a weight of pass, awareness. ESR doesn't have that to the same level, his best attribute is his ability to carry and drive with the ball.

If we could merge Ødegaard and Smith Rowe into one player, we'd have the ideal attacking mid.
What 10’s satisfy your criteria in world football? What do you think of muller and gullit?
Why do you think he couldn’t be an 8?

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
What 10’s satisfy your criteria in world football? What do you think of muller and gullit?
Why do you think he couldn’t be an 8?
First and foremost, a 10 for me needs to make the players around him better. He needs to be the facilitator. Look at Bruno Fernandes for example, he's a 10, a numbers guy, but he doesn't make the players around him better.

If you could pick a few stand out attributes for a 10 they would be:

Passing
Vision
Composure
Ball control

ESR lacks in 3 areas at the moment, but he is young. As for him playing 8, it could happen, but we've seen both him and Ødegaard centrally a few times and it hasn't really worked.

samspade

First and foremost, a 10 for me needs to make the players around him better. He needs to be the facilitator. Look at Bruno Fernandes for example, he's a 10, a numbers guy, but he doesn't make the players around him better.

If you could pick a few stand out attributes for a 10 they would be:

Passing
Vision
Composure
Ball control

ESR lacks in 3 areas at the moment, but he is young. As for him playing 8, it could happen, but we've seen both him and Ødegaard centrally a few times and it hasn't really worked.
I appreciate your response but I want to know if there’s a 10 operating today who is isn’t Ødegaard and has what you see as the necessary attributes.

I’ve always agreed with this view of Fernandez too.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Let’s bench our best goal scorer in scintillating form we can’t have someone scoring too much. Why is he coming off the bench to accomdate a player who doesn’t score enough and hasn’t in years with the club who is soon to leave?

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I appreciate your response but I want to know if there’s a 10 operating today who is isn’t Ødegaard and has what you see as the necessary attributes.

I’ve always agreed with this view of Fernandez too.
Not many teams i can think of play a 4231 at the moment. We play a 4231 with 2 CMs who make no effort to run beyond the ball.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Let’s bench our best goal scorer in scintillating form we can’t have someone scoring too much. Why is he coming off the bench to accomdate a player who doesn’t score enough and hasn’t in years with the club who is soon to leave?
He's not being benched for Lacazette, he is being benched for Martinelli, and fair enough.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
As he's a young player with a large injury history already, I think this break is good for him. I was actually concerned about him and Saka playing so many consecutive games but we needed them at the time.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

View attachment 5423View attachment 5424View attachment 5425View attachment 5426
Think he's fine on the left, but yeah I noticed his runs towards the inside too.

Martinelli does the same so I wonder how much of it is instruction or natural tendencies. A lot of their goals they are in that central position. Kudos for finding pics to back up your point though.

Top Bottom