• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Pablo Mari (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I'm just going to assume every club has these type of sponge players now, surely it cannot just be an Arsenal problem.

Off the top of my head Utd have Phil Jones, Bailly never gets seen, I'll say Ake for City, Liverpool have Ox maybe? Chelsea must have a load surely?

Cannot just be us.. :facepalm:
It isn't just us, every club has them. They stand out more at the big clubs because the contracts are bigger. Nobody bats an eyelid if Joe Bloggs is on a a 5 year contract on £5k per week for Scunthorpe.

I have often though that football fans make WAY too big a deal out of it. No club in the history of football has had a 100% success rate with transfers so you are always going to get a few players who don't work out kicking around on decent contracts.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
It isn't just us, every club has them. They stand out more at the big clubs because the contracts are bigger. Nobody bats an eyelid if Joe Bloggs is on a a 5 year contract on £5k per week for Scunthorpe.

I have often though that football fans make WAY too big a deal out of it. No club in the history of football has had a 100% success rate with transfers so you are always going to get a few players who don't work out kicking around on decent contracts.
Yeah, on a similar theme, one of my pet hates is the amount of outrage that gets generated when someone's favourite player doesn't get picked. Sure, there are occasional situations like Willian that are a bit infuriating, but generally you've got a squad of 28 and 11 first teamers so there is always someone who has to sit - it's an absolutely impossible job otherwise. This isn't an Arteta comment either, it happens in all clubs and managers

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Can't compare someone like Ox or even Ake or Jones to Pablo Mari.

Pablo was at ****ing NAC Breda in the Netherlands, was never good enough for City and then moved to perhaps even more of a farmers league (Brazil) than Holland.

And then Edu got him to Arsenal. Where he tore his hamstring on his first sprint trying to keep up with Walker.

One of the most pathetic buys in our history.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Lol I didn't remember this guy exist. One of those Arteta signings which sucked. Then Edu started to making signings which resulted in much better players.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Sampdoria very interested in Mari and he one of defenders they looking to sign according to local genoa newspaper.

Any rumours of the price? Do we get our money back, or lose couple of millions? Horrible thing to happen to have enough backup players in a top team! 😬

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Any rumours of the price? Do we get our money back, or lose couple of millions? Horrible thing to happen to have enough backup players in a top team! 😬
At the moment there no talks about fee but we know experience with Italian clubs is loan with option.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Moving Mari and Cedric on would be better than any incomings for me. Two of the poorest transfers we've ever made but very nice to see how active we're being on trying to move them on. Learning from mistakes.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Can't compare someone like Ox or even Ake or Jones to Pablo Mari.

Pablo was at ****ing NAC Breda in the Netherlands, was never good enough for City and then moved to perhaps even more of a farmers league (Brazil) than Holland.

And then Edu got him to Arsenal. Where he tore his hamstring on his first sprint trying to keep up with Walker.

One of the most pathetic buys in our history.
A combination of Edu and Arteta. Arteta wanted a left footed centre back. Edu went and got one. He looked like he could have been good he looked like he could have been terrible. The best outcome was we ended up realising he wasnt a long term solution and got Gabriel instead. If we move Mari on he will be nothing more than a footnote in history. And im absolutely fine with that and delighted at the prospect of Gabriel, White, Saliba and Holding starting the season for us. Far removed from Luiz, Mustafi, Mari, Sokratis, Holding and Chambers.

drippin

If we get Cedric and Mari off the wage bill that’s around 150k per week of savings.

That’s the wages for a very good midfielder.
Does Mari really earn 85k per week, or is it 50k per week? Any good source? There is conflicting information.

I understand giving Cedric bigger salary as he is experienced and it's his last big contract. But ffs, Mari was a nobody, he shouldn't earn more than 50k per week in his first big contract.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Does Mari really earn 85k per week, or is it 50k per week? Any good source? There is conflicting information.

I understand giving Cedric bigger salary as he is experienced and it's his last big contract. But ffs, Mari was a nobody, he shouldn't earn more than 50k per week in his first big contract.
The deal of Mari and Cedric are very dodgy because agent led surely both earning more than 100k combined

drippin

A combination of Edu and Arteta. Arteta wanted a left footed centre back. Edu went and got one. He looked like he could have been good he looked like he could have been terrible. The best outcome was we ended up realising he wasnt a long term solution and got Gabriel instead. If we move Mari on he will be nothing more than a footnote in history. And im absolutely fine with that and delighted at the prospect of Gabriel, White, Saliba and Holding starting the season for us. Far removed from Luiz, Mustafi, Mari, Sokratis, Holding and Chambers.
No way Arsenal would think that 7 million pound CB with no top level experience would be a long-term solution in current markets. That would be absolutely ridiculous. :lol:

He was always an emergency transfer to have enough backup players so our season wouldn't be ruined in case of injuries. Top clubs need enough backups. We didn't have money/FFP back then to buy a better one.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
AC Milan also looking to sign Mari he one of defenders they following Sarr and Bailey other options as well

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I would ship him off for free to be honest. Just get the 85k/week wages of the books and move on.

GDeep™

League is very weak

I remember you were very excited and bullish about Mari. Tried to attack me, when i suggested signing a mid 20’s CB, who had to leave Europe after playing little or no top flight football was questionable.

BIoodBrother

Mari was quite ok before he got destroyed by Lukaku and was never to be seen again, no?
I wont say he was great but he kept out Gabriel for a couple of games with acceptable performances. He always seemed very composed. Senior league style.
Would still ship him now and have Chambers and Holding as backups as Arteta finally seems okay with the idea of playing a rightfooted Holding on the left side of Central defense.
Before only DLuiz was allowed that.

Selling him now also slightly points to Saliba staying next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom