• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Remind me again... Where did Gabriel come from? IIRC, he went straight to the first team then too.
He had a year of ups and downs while he made the adjustment, though, important to note.

Yes he is better than both. White is not even in the same league as Saliba.
Mmm, I think this is a rather strong statement to make and I'd find it hard to agree (think White is underrated by most Arsenal fans anyways, so that's part of this), or certainly to make it with such certainty as you do, based off one playing in Ligue 1, and another in the Premier.

That said, like I say I respect your opinion, and I do not claim to have watched much of Saliba with Marseille or Nice, which is why I limited myself to commenting on what I saw of him for the U23s, where I did see enough matches of him to comment. I am of the opinion that we should incorporate him into the first team next season, and have a 3 CB competition for the 2 spots, like the City model, and from your comments it seems he has certainly matured enough for that to be realistic.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Didn't Gabriel have less Ligue 1 appearances than Saliba when he moved here? It was something along those lines, not sure.

Gabriel had more games than Saliba in L1, however no one in France would believe that Gabriel was a superior player based on their Ligue1 performances.

carlito'sway

Established Member
He had a year of ups and downs while he made the adjustment, though, important to note.

Mmm, I think this is a rather strong statement to make and I'd find it hard to agree (think White is underrated by most Arsenal fans anyways, so that's part of this), or certainly to make it with such certainty as you do, based off one playing in Ligue 1, and another in the Premier.

That said, like I say I respect your opinion, and I do not claim to have watched much of Saliba with Marseille or Nice, which is why I limited myself to commenting on what I saw of him for the U23s, where I did see enough matches of him to comment. I am of the opinion that we should incorporate him into the first team next season, and have a 3 CB competition for the 2 spots, like the City model, and from your comments it seems he has certainly matured enough for that to be realistic.
Fair enough.....
Let's not pretend that coming from Ligue1 to Premier is such a big jump though. I can mention number of mediocre Ligue 1 players who have started or are currently starting in the EPL. Malang Sarr (I commented about him yrs ago on A-M) a mediocre player then and still now, has started for Chelsea to use one example.

I didn't see Saliba with the Arsenal U-23 but I maintain that the current one would be a full time starter. There is a lot of noise in France now on Saliba deserving a call the the French NT. Some pundits on RMC were talking about the current crop of French CB's and the overall agreement that Saliba was already a better player than the Zouma or Lenglet, regular call ups to the NT.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Fair enough.....
Let's not pretend that coming from Ligue1 to Premier is such a big jump though. I can mention number of mediocre Ligue 1 players who have started or are currently starting in the EPL. Malang Sarr (I commented about him yrs ago on A-M) a mediocre player then and still now, has started for Chelsea to use one example.

I didn't see Saliba with the Arsenal U-23 but I maintain that the current one would be a full time starter. There is a lot of noise in France now on Saliba deserving a call the the French NT. Some pundits on RMC were talking about the current crop of French CB's and the overall agreement that Saliba was already a better player than the Zouma or Lenglet, regular call ups to the NT.
No, I don't pretend that, and I am the first to say that a top player in a foreign league will be just as top a player the Premier League, if he is really of that level (ie, I don't like arguments in favour of 'premier league provenness / experience', just for the sake of them, they don't usually turn out to be a good way of analysing new recruitments) but it's true that when evaluating players it can bias your perspective of them significantly, there's a major difference in speed of play and time on the ball to make decisions and play out between the two leagues, and that can certainly affect how we evaluate two CBs playing in different leagues.

I rate Ben White highly, so yeah, as I say, that's part of the reason it's hard for me to see that statement, made with such conviction, without a bit of scepticism, but I repeat, I respect your opinion on Saliba, perhaps this comes down to a difference in our opinions on Ben White.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
The noodle armed dweeb who runs the GFFN twitter account got his feelings hurt by Arsenal fans so he tries to troll us every chance he can

• Funny
Reactions: A_G

carlito'sway

Established Member
The noodle armed dweeb who runs the GFFN twitter account got his feelings hurt by Arsenal fans so he tries to troll us every chance he can

What an absurd comment. Stupidity runs deep here. Get over yourself.
The Twitter account just reported informations from the Marseille local newspaper.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
What a ridiculous take...The guy is playing his best football ever and may the next in line to be called to the French NT. He may be paying in CL next season, something that may not happen at Arsenal anytime soon.
Why would be in a rush to go back to a club that didn't trust him in the first place?
Because the mighty @yousif_arteta says so... If you don't play Chocolate league and warm the bench under Arteta then you have no ambitious... You know, trust the process and accept not playing football.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Because the mighty @yousif_arteta says so... If you don't play Chocolate league and warm the bench under Arteta then you have no ambitious... You know, trust the process and accept not playing football.
I didn't mean that lol. But the way i see our fans overhype him i thought he'll start at psg or bayern Munich if he ever leave us nothing against om or ligue 1 the best thing we did send him on loan and not be backup to play max 5-10 games.

yorch44

I didn't mean that lol. But the way i see our fans overhype him i thought he'll start at psg or bayern Munich if he ever leave us nothing against om or ligue 1 the best thing we did send him on loan and not be backup to play max 5-10 games.
Probably they are waiting to see what an stupid thing arteta does with him in summer to save some millions. Watching what he did with Douzy, Auba, Özil, etc... I would wait for the fire and then make offers when the player say FU to Lego man.

yorch44

Btw, when he ends in the best French ligue team and some games in NT after the season finish, I am sure some good teams will be interested if we don't ask for stupid money. I can RM, PSG, or teams that calibre going for him in near future. But he is looking for his career, he knows he is young and is going for game time instead of big team bench warmer, or even worst... Mid table team bench warmer because the manager got offended with him for not increasing his ego.

GunnerShy

Btw, when he ends in the best French ligue team and some games in NT after the season finish, I am sure some good teams will be interested if we don't ask for stupid money. I can RM, PSG, or teams that calibre going for him in near future. But he is looking for his career, he knows he is young and is going for game time instead of big team bench warmer, or even worst... Mid table team bench warmer because the manager got offended with him for not increasing his ego.
He's long been on Arteta's naughty list.

It's been a successful loan spell. More so for Saliba than us! There's definitely room for him in our squad, even more so if qualify for EL or CL.

And if we don't, frankly, it's hard to imagine a situation where Arteta keeps his job.

The team needs to spend its budget at CF, CM and a back up goalkeeper.

We also need an upgrade on Rob Holding at CB. It makes so much sense, that I expect us to sell to OM for £15m only to see him head to Man City two years later for £80m.

Tom349

I don't cry over anything, Tom, especially not about Arsenal. Couldn't care less about this team and the manager, but will keep some good memories from the past as Arsenal back then was really fun and in a way an important part of my life.

I'm not debating player's quality, for me, it's just funny how so many players got dumped by the manager, even some who basically kept him in his job. I definitely don't care what happens to Holding or Auba, I would personally cancel their contracts tomorrow, but as a manager, he should learn how to deal with personalities and how to organize his team for longer than 1 month.

Dumping players we have and complaining about Kronke not giving us 300m every transfer window so plastic fans like yourself can feel some joy is definitely not for me, which is why I don't care and find your post semi-ret*rded. You plastic fans can only go on and on about us getting a new striker, new CM, new LF, new new new, buy buy buy. Go fcking support City you little prick, I actually prefer to see our club working with what's there and developing young players. I gave up on chasing trophies a long time ago

How many more opportunities did Arteta need to give Aubamayeng? He hadn't performed in 18 months and in that same time had multiple instances of acting unprofessional. We are trying to change the culture around the club yet some of you are happy to let standards stay the same. Don't get me started on why the likes of Holding have been discarded. We play once a week for the most part and unless you are forced to you don't change your preferred back 5, who also happen to be one of the best back 5 since they have come together which given age, experience and the time they have spent together is quite an achievement at this point.

**** me some of you really are quite special. I mean for starters we spent 150m last summer on five players, none older than White who himself was 23 at the time. To put that into perspective the likes of City and United are spending from 80-100m on players who don't make their starting 11. Our spending isn't in the same stratosphere as the big guns.
No is asking for 300m to be spent but anyone with half a brain knows that in order to find an upgrade at the striker and midfield position we are going to have to spend 50m minimum.
Your last line is brilliant by the way. I mean it's not like we don't have by far the youngest team among those in the top half especially compared to the rest of the big 6. It's not like we don't have the likes of ESR, Saka, Martinelli who are super young themselves and are receiving plenty of minutes and being developed. Perfect example of arguing for the sake of it, all reality of our current situation lost in the mist of hatred of a manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom