• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Release Clause Targets: January 2022

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,770
  • Views 282,638

Which CF would you sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Yeah I'm not saying Gakpo is the answer, mind. Not by a long shot. ESR is vastly outperforming underlying stats. He'll score 3-4 more maximum in the league and then he'll still have outperformed his stats greatly for the full season :)
ESR's a growth stock though - he may be over-performing but he's also getting better and better game by game.

I'm pretty confident that next season he increases his output once again overall (so long as we sort out the wider squad issues)

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I don't even see how it's really controversial :lol: They're young and very talented guys that of course should be given minutes to develop, but they shouldn't have to carry the pressure of being the main men. With Saka it's a bit different because he's just that good. Still needs to have someone that can challenge him and be used for resting him. Someone that the manager trusts.

:lol:

Neither do I. I feel people are a bit too overprotective which is normal but things like sentiment shouldn’t be a factor especially in modern day football. We’re all here for our club to succeed and if that means upgrading on every position when better players become available then we should do it.

With how competitive the transfer market currently is, we have to either keep up with the other clubs around us or fall drastically behind the teams chasing the CL positions.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Yeah in 47 and 50 games respectively. Perspective needed :) I only really look at the league. Could include European competition as well, but domestic cups should never be counted imo. People are saying Isak only has 4 goals, but then in reality he has 8.

They’re still very good numbers for a WINGER. What was that you were saying about perspective my brother?

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Do we have Pepe though? He hasn't started since mid October. Not injured, no covid. His Afcon means nothing, he is probably just happy to be playing.
Yeah but we've still got him. Whereas at CF... it's tumbleweed, and a desert as barren as the Sp**s trophy cabinet

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I don't even see how it's really controversial :lol: They're young and very talented guys that of course should be given minutes to develop, but they shouldn't have to carry the pressure of being the main men. With Saka it's a bit different because he's just that good. Still needs to have someone that can challenge him and be used for resting him. Someone that the manager trusts.

But you’re suggesting replacing these young kids with more young kids? Don’t get me wrong if you can get someone 27/28 who’s going to be an instant hit then yeah I’d agree. But I don’t see the point in replacing ESR/Martinelli with more young talent who’s not guaranteed upgrades? Martinelli’s LW performances for me have justified keeping him there, thought he was the best player on the pitch vs Liverpool.

I get the idea to try him at CF but is he going to be better than Lacazette? I’m not so sure, then you have to hope the guy replacing Martinelli is going to be as good, I’m not sure it’s worth the risk as we’d need both to work out for it to be viable.

Now if you said RW then I’d understand because by all accounts Pepe is finished, which is a little strange since we could do with a few more goals.

But yeah on the attacker front, all I want is an out and out CF.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yeah but we've still got him. Whereas at CF... it's tumbleweed, and a desert as barren as the Sp**s trophy cabinet
At CF we could still use Pepe or Martinelli there. Arteta chooses to use Nketiah.

We should be looking for alternatives. There seems to be an obsession with a big man with aerial ability up front. Why exactly? So we can go long all the time?

Why not get a big man who has aerial ability but is a winger. Marcus Thuram has 18months left on his deal. With his physicality on the left, Martinelli could play through the middle. Long balls can go to Thuram instead.

We need to think outside the box, but it is so boring what we are doing. Looking for a slightly better version or Xhaka and a big man up top.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

They’re still very good numbers for a WINGER. What was that you were saying about perspective my brother?
I compared him to Pépé who had better numbers and haven't had close to the expected impact here despite being younger (at the time) so should have more development potential. We got Pépé on the back of his breakthrough season and this is Diaz's breakthrough season in terms of output.

People were saying Gakpo only had his first good season this year at 22/23 and that's a red flag. So how is it not with a 25 year old from Liga Bwin?

I'm saying he looks good. I'm not opposed the transfer. I only pointed out something that is a warning flag.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

But you’re suggesting replacing these young kids with more young kids? Don’t get me wrong if you can get someone 27/28 who’s going to be an instant hit then yeah I’d agree. But I don’t see the point in replacing ESR/Martinelli with more young talent who’s not guaranteed upgrades? Martinelli’s LW performances for me have justified keeping him there, thought he was the best player on the pitch vs Liverpool.

I get the idea to try him at CF but is he going to be better than Lacazette? I’m not so sure, then you have to hope the guy replacing Martinelli is going to be as good, I’m not sure it’s worth the risk as we’d need both to work out for it to be viable.

Now if you said RW then I’d understand because by all accounts Pepe is finished, which is a little strange since we could do with a few more goals.

But yeah on the attacker front, all I want is an out and out CF.
When and where did I do so? I'm saying upgrade and there are very few, if any, young players with potential that are upgrades on ESR and Martinelli. I mean an Alexis type signing

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
At CF we could still use Pepe or Martinelli there. Arteta chooses to use Nketiah.

We should be looking for alternatives. There seems to be an obsession with a big man with aerial ability up front. Why exactly? So we can go long all the time?

Why not get a big man who has aerial ability but is a winger. Marcus Thuram has 18months left on his deal. With his physicality on the left, Martinelli could play through the middle. Long balls can go to Thuram instead.

We need to think outside the box, but it is so boring what we are doing. Looking for a slightly better version or Xhaka and a big man up top.

have you watched Arteta's Arsenal?

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Well we were talking about Gakpo originally, who’s 22.
There are a lot of names talked about in this thread. I jumped in on the subject of upgrading LW with Diaz which Troopz posted about. Not sure what you're on about here little man

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Speaking of LW options, what happened to Pedro Neto? He looked really good last season.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I compared him to Pépé who had better numbers and haven't had close to the expected impact here despite being younger (at the time) so should have more development potential. We got Pépé on the back of his breakthrough season and this is Diaz's breakthrough season in terms of output.

People were saying Gakpo only had his first good season this year at 22/23 and that's a red flag. So how is it not with a 25 year old from Liga Bwin?

I'm saying he looks good. I'm not opposed the transfer. I only pointed out something that is a warning flag.
To be honest he's had two good seasons as a rookie before this one, but last season was his proper breakthrough season. This is his first season as an established player and still performing well. Think the last three seasons show an upward trajectory.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

There are a lot of names talked about in this thread. I jumped in on the subject of upgrading LW with Diaz which Troopz posted about. Not sure what you're on about here little man

Okay even so Diaz isn’t established like Sanchez so the point still stands.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Okay even so Diaz isn’t established like Sanchez so the point still stands.
Literally my first post when I jumped into the discussion :drool: You're out of touch today. Not on your game. Would suggest go back to bed and just wake up tomorrow instead :lol::lol:

Issue for me with Diaz is that he's only ever posted numbers like this one season and he's 25. I'll say he really looks quality, but it's still a warning flag for me. Pépé for example had a much better season (though pk goals were inflated by pk's) in a better league and I'd argue a better "bad" season before that than Diaz' "bad" seasons in a lesser league.

I fully agree on the sentiment of needing alternatives. I'd argue we should look to upgrade on ESR/Martinelli. No room for sentimentality and if they're really the real deal they will still develop from that and come through eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom