• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Would much rather have Ndidi than Tielemans. Similar age. People might say Partey and him are too similar but I think both can work if the 4 in front have more freedom.

Phillips may be another good option. Both available for the right price. Chelsea will target rice and I think City with Rodrigo are covered. Liverpool maybe want a DCM as Henderson aging. United need about 3 new midfielders so let's see.

Phillips is one of the best ball winners in Europe and a tidy passer as well. You only need to see the difference between Leeds win rate with and without him in the side. On paper at least it would free up someone like Tielemans or De Jong to take the more creative / attacking role in midfield.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
On the fence with this. Undoubtedly an improvement on what we have, but would still require an additional midfielder otherwise we’re screwed if Partey gets injured.

Impact

Established Member
One thought on Tielemans defensively (which may have been made already) is that Rodgers and Arteta have different game models. Rodgers wants to create transition situations to exploit the pace of Vardy, Barnes and Daka etc. This has a knock on effect defensively. It puts a heavy burden on the midfielders to also be ready to defend transition moments because the team plays with big spaces, and perhaps makes Tielemans looks worse than he is in that regard. Arteta wants complete control. In our system the team pushes high up the pitch making the spaces to defend for midfielders much, much smaller. We may see a different Tielemans defensively in our system.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'm not sure he's the perfect midfielder for us, but he does have a lot of the right attributes you'd want and which we currently lack. I think someone like Belligham would be the dream although maybe even as talented as he is might have some developing of his game still to do before he comes that great all round midfielder whereas Youri has that experience which means he can probably slot right in and not look out of place. Also benefits that he's played in the PL for a few years and his role won't be a million miles away from what it currently is at Leicester.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think we're now seeing the shape Arteta wants in midfield, 433 with the ball, 4411 without it. That LCM role is so important. Defensively, I think Xhaka is a really good option for that role. Has the engine to push up when we have the ball and drop back when we don't. I also think Arteta really values a left footer there, it allows that ball down the line for the left back.

Tielemens obviously would be a lot better in an attacking sense than Xhaka. He could also rotate with Ødegaard in the RCM/10 role as well.

6666Louis

I think we're now seeing the shape Arteta wants in midfield, 433 with the ball, 4411 without it. That LCM role is so important. Defensively, I think Xhaka is a really good option for that role. Has the engine to push up when we have the ball and drop back when we don't. I also think Arteta really values a left footer there, it allows that ball down the line for the left back.

Tielemens obviously would be a lot better in an attacking sense than Xhaka. He could also rotate with Ødegaard in the RCM/10 role as well.
With the ball it is more like a 3 1 6

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
He may end up in MU. Pogba is gonna leave MU in the summer, and they need to replace him.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
One thought on Tielemans defensively (which may have been made already) is that Rodgers and Arteta have different game models. Rodgers wants to create transition situations to exploit the pace of Vardy, Barnes and Daka etc. This has a knock on effect defensively. It puts a heavy burden on the midfielders to also be ready to defend transition moments because the team plays with big spaces, and perhaps makes Tielemans looks worse than he is in that regard. Arteta wants complete control. In our system the team pushes high up the pitch making the spaces to defend for midfielders much, much smaller. We may see a different Tielemans defensively in our system.
You know your stuff

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Also when you think about Xhaka. The only time he gets found out is of he is isolated 1v1 in the box. Aside from that he gives away silly fouls that don't really harm the team. Players don't run off him and he is positionally aware so he is always in the right place.

That being said, Tielemans is better in small spaces and creating his own shooting opportunities, but we attack down the sides. If we give Partey the middle of the pitch we need a CM that is comfortable in wide areas.

So the way I am looking at it is would the CM be able to play as a left attacking midfielder? I think Tielemans could, but probably no where near as well as someone like Nkunku.

Think about that position Xhaka took up to cross to Laca for the offside goal. If we regularly move our CM there, they need to be devastating. They need tocbe able to drive beat a man and shoot.

There is a lot of concern on this forum about a CM who can defend. Neves is popular, but genuinely don't think he is as good as Tielemans. His defensive contribution is systemic. There is a reason Renato Sanches started ahead of him at the euros. Put Tielemans in a deep block, counter attacking team with 3 defenders behind him and a midfielder next to him who doesn't push and his defensive numbers will be similar because unlike someone like ESR. He can actually tackle.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Also when you think about Xhaka. The only time he gets found out is of he is isolated 1v1 in the box. Aside from that he gives away silly fouls that don't really harm the team. Players don't run off him and he is positionally aware so he is always in the right place.

That being said, Tielemans is better in small spaces and creating his own shooting opportunities, but we attack down the sides. If we give Partey the middle of the pitch we need a CM that is comfortable in wide areas.

So the way I am looking at it is would the CM be able to play as a left attacking midfielder? I think Tielemans could, but probably no where near as well as someone like Nkunku.

Think about that position Xhaka took up to cross to Laca for the offside goal. If we regularly move our CM there, they need to be devastating. They need tocbe able to drive beat a man and shoot.

There is a lot of concern on this forum about a CM who can defend. Neves is popular, but genuinely don't think he is as good as Tielemans. His defensive contribution is systemic. There is a reason Renato Sanches started ahead of him at the euros. Put Tielemans in a deep block, counter attacking team with 3 defenders behind him and a midfielder next to him who doesn't push and his defensive numbers will be similar because unlike someone like ESR. He can actually tackle.
Tilesman is not good enough to make Partey a complete sitter and his work horse. Unless he can actually play as CM and not constantly covering his weakness he is not needed

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Tilesman is not good enough to make Partey a complete sitter and his work horse. Unless he can actually play as CM and not constantly covering his weakness he is not needed
If we invert both full backs Partey won't be his workhorse.

Tierney----Partey---Tomi

That becomes the midfield. If you haven't noticed, Tierney is no where near as high now. He used to be a left winger when we built up with Xhaka dropping into left back. He now tucks in and Xhaka pushes on, allowing Martinelli to hold the width.

We are preparing to have an attack minded lcm. Personally, I want Nkunku, however Tielemans would still be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom