• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Harz

DCL feels too underwhelming after some of the names we've been linked with, I'd take Lacazette over him tbh. The rumored price range of £50-60m is also very steep.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
DCL feels too underwhelming after some of the names we've been linked with, I'd take Lacazette over him tbh. The rumored price range of £50-60m is also very steep.
His form after the injury is so bad but so are Everton in general. he one of our targets but there players ahead of him

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
DCL is an underwhelming signing but so were Ramsdale, White, Tomiyasu, etc so at this moment I'll just let 'em rip. Not a better time to snag him as well, given his form and Everton's position. Last season they could've asked for 60-70 million, now I think 30-40 could do it.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
DCL is an underwhelming signing but so were Ramsdale, White, Tomiyasu, etc so at this moment I'll just let 'em rip. Not a better time to snag him as well, given his form and Everton's position. Last season they could've asked for 60-70 million, now I think 30-40 could do it.
The difference imo all these players even tho the quality could been below our level but all were preforming and playing for consistently at thier former teams DCL is good player but this season he never recovered from injury and his form declined so if we buy him will be risk.

If Everton go down we might even get him for under 30m they in deep financial trouble

Harz

His form after the injury is so bad but so are Everton in general. he one of our targets but there players ahead of him
Even before the injury he was kind of hot-and-cold at best. I'm also unsure about his non-goalscoring contribution. There has to be a better fit for our current silky quick pass-and-move football.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Even before the injury he was kind of hot-and-cold at best. I'm also unsure about his non-goalscoring contribution. There has to be a better fit for our current silky quick pass-and-move football.
You also kind of have to worry about high goal scoring seasons in a season where there are no fans. Basically doing the hardest thing in the game without the level of pressure. A lot of excuses are being made for Isak's low scoring season, but maybe the rashness in front of goal is linked to actual emotional repercussions when you miss a chance and have a set of fans that react.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Massive red flag for me if this is the type of forward we’ve identified.

The three best teams in the county have left this kind of player behind and their managers have shown the tactical flexibility to adapt to not having a traditional no9 lump up front.

The last time I remember something like this working was prime Robbery flanking Mandzukic and from what I remember, Mandzukic was a lot more talented than DCL is.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

The three best teams in the county have left this kind of player behind and their managers have shown the tactical flexibility to adapt to not having a traditional no9 lump up front.

The last time I remember something like this working was prime Robbery flanking Mandzukic and from what I remember, Mandzukic was a lot more talented than DCL is.
Yeah there is no space in world football for the likes of lewandowski and Vlahovic. City is about to break the record for Halaand. Not saying this skirt wearing injury prone cvnt are on their level. But he is of their mild of being pure nr 9. Then the best striker in the PL is Kane and he is a real nr 9

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Spend loads of money on players that can play from the back and then go and buy an old school target man doesn't really make sense tbh.

Harz

What about City going for Haaland? They also tried to sign Ronaldo and Kane. It didn't work out but Chelsea went for Lukaku. It is possible to succeed without one, but the right kind of proper striker really improves an attack. Would agree that there is a shortage at the moment though.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Yeah there is no space in world football for the likes of lewandowski and Vlahovic. City is about to break the record for Halaand. Not saying this skirt wearing injury prone cvnt are on their level. But he is of their mild of being pure nr 9. Then the best striker in the PL is Kane and he is a real nr 9
They are the most in demand players in football of course.

My point is that City and Liverpool could have just signed Weghorst or Toney or DCL if they really needed a pure no9. They’ve realised there’s a trade off where the hold up play and physically isn’t worth the quality you lose in benching someone like Foden or Jota.

Arteta doesn’t seem to recognise that trade off and like I said, that’s a red flag for me. It could be nothing but it hints at a reliance on the chequebook and/or tactical inflexibility.
What about City going for Haaland? They also tried to sign Ronaldo and Kane. It didn't work out but Chelsea went for Lukaku. It is possible to succeed without one, but the right kind of proper striker really improves an attack. Would agree that there is a shortage at the moment though.
All those players you’ve listed are twice the footballer DCL is which is my point really. At some point you have to adapt to what you have and show why you’re a football manager.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

They are the most in demand players in football of course.

My point is that City and Liverpool could have just signed Weghorst or Toney or DCL if they really needed a pure no9. They’ve realised there’s a trade off where the hold up play and physically isn’t worth the quality you lose in benching someone like Foden or Jota.

Arteta doesn’t seem to recognise that trade off and like I said, that’s a red flag for me. It could be nothing but it hints at a reliance on the chequebook and/or tactical inflexibility.

All those players you’ve listed are twice the footballer DCL is which is my point really. At some point you have to adapt to what you have and show why you’re a football manager.
We are not Man City and Liverpool and we are way of their league. Unless you have world class players supporting the false nr 9. They can never do as well as a real nr 9. I’m not fan of DLC as he is way too injury prone. But I will take a real striker rather than having midfielders like esr or joao Felix pretending to be strikers. Arteta said something I agree with. We need a goalscorer as all the top teams have reliable goalscorers.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

We are not Man City and Liverpool and we are way of their league. Unless you have world class players supporting the false nr 9. They can never do as well as a real nr 9. I’m not fan of DLC as he is way too injury prone. But I will take a real striker rather than having midfielders like esr or joao Felix pretending to be strikers. Arteta said something I agree with. We need a goalscorer as all the top teams have reliable goalscorers.
We’re way out of their league but we get there by having the same standards.

A player like DCL definitely helps the squad but it also puts a ceiling on our offensive potential.

All the top teams have reliable goal scorers but they don’t have reliably no9s is exactly the point I’m making btw.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I think DCL is a far better talent than some want to give him credit for. Pre injury I think he was ready to explode.

If and it's a big if he gets over this injury problem he'd be a big upgrade on Laca as far as I'm concerned. PL proven as well.

Hopefully Everton go down so we can get him really cheap. Probably wouldn't want to go over £50m for him given the injury issue he's had if not.

Worth noting though he's only had the one really long term injury in his career though.

Last edited:

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
I think the fact Arsenal fans are against this type of player because we have never had a top level target man number 9 (Henry and RVP being almost free roles)

DCL would serve several purposes:

Stretch defenses with his pace to run in behind. In turn this gives more space for our creative players

Hold up the ball and bring others into play

Offensive threat in the box against low blocks - something we struggle with

Someone who can get on the end of our attacks - Lacazette doesn't have the pace. Actually the amount of time we have the ball with no one running into the box has been a problem in certain games.

Bully defenders, remember Drogba bullying Arsenal CBs of old

Make our offensive set pieces more dangerous and help us defend them

PL proven striker with limited creative players behind him

Malky

Established Member
No thanks.
Since his return from injury he looks dreadful, doesn't help that Everton in general are ****, but DCL shouldn't be a serious option at this point.
Basically if you have to question if he'll actually out perform Laca at this point then he's not worth considering.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We’re way out of their league but we get there by having the same standards.

A player like DCL definitely helps the squad but it also puts a ceiling on our offensive potential.

All the top teams have reliable goal scorers but they don’t have reliably no9s is exactly the point I’m making btw.
So when city buys Haaland in the summer do we change our stands or we say he is just a false nr 9

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

No thanks.
Since his return from injury he looks dreadful, doesn't help that Everton in general are ****, but DCL shouldn't be a serious option at this point.
Basically if you have to question if he'll actually out perform Laca at this point then he's not worth considering.
He screams 50 million to West Ham and they won’t improve one bit. But they will get hype from the English media about buying an England international

Latest posts+

Top Bottom