• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

GDeep™

League is very weak
The last 10 years of the PL has been the poorest I have seen. Same for Europe, outside Bayern and Real I can’t think of top European clubs.

Remember when Ferguson left and that poor Utd team won the league? It’s been poor since then. Liverpool have been the one outstanding team as they’ve built a solid team with natural funds you can say.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

It's just such a controversy, in a tougher league it wouldn't be a given to win every game.

Even current machines like City and Liverpool don't go to away games in this league with the assumption they will win.

I should have rephrased that if I knew you were lurking and magnifying every single word. That was just my expectation but there were many tough games where it was end to end stuff, take Boro as an example.

On your second point, possibly in the run in but there were times when I’m sure Liverpool fans weren’t on edge that their team would be walking through some of these teams. Take our games against them as an example, do they really get worried going into those ones? Well, the Liverpool fans that I know aren’t too bothered when we play them as they are confident of a result whilst back in even our invincible years, we’d find Liverpool really tough to play against even though they had scrubs like Neil Mellor, Sinama Pongolle, Biscan etc playing against us, if you can remember that.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
The last 10 years of the PL has been the poorest I have seen. Same for Europe, outside Bayern and Real I can’t think of top European clubs.

Remember when Ferguson left and that poor Utd team won the league? It’s been poor since then. Liverpool have been the one outstanding team as they’ve built a solid team with natural funds you can say.
CL seems to be the easiest chance to get through and win these days. There aren't any super teams like you said.

I think the PL is harder to win due to the money doping but I don't think that speaks to the actual quality of the league from teams 1-20.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

This is 100 percent of the argument of 100 percent of the people who say the league was just coincidentally better when Arsenal was at its best in early 2000s. The feeling, the emotion, and it is just a coincidence that when I remember my youth and when my team won everything that is when the league is best it has ever been.

I’m not even basing on that, so I’m not sure how you’ve managed to connect the dots. For me, it’s the calibre of talent around, overall quality of games and level of competition. I can only comment on what I’ve seen in my lifetime and it’s not my fault that I had the opportunity to experience greatness which has made it a lot harder to settle for mediocre but I now fully understand why some fans have lower standards at this current time.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

CL seems to be the easiest chance to get through and win these days. There aren't any super teams like you said.

I think the PL is harder to win due to the money doping but I don't think that speaks to the actual quality of the league from teams 1-20.

Next season, it wouldn’t surprise me if we have a chance of winning the CL depending on whether we get an easy route to the quarter finals, anything after that is a lucky dip.

Sp**s reached a CL final and an average Chelsea team won it ffs

:lol:

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

I’m not even basing on that, so I’m not sure how you’ve managed to connect the dots. For me, it’s the calibre of talent around, overall quality of games and level of competition. I can only comment on what I’ve seen in my lifetime and it’s not my fault that I had the opportunity to experience greatness which has made it a lot harder to settle for mediocre but I now fully understand why some fans have lower standards at this current time.
You aren’t basing it on anything but emotion and eyeball test, fair enough it is an unprovable argument that requires time travel. But I have seen the nostalgia colored lens many time before and you got all the symptoms.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

You aren’t basing it on anything but emotion and eyeball test, fair enough it is an unprovable argument that requires time travel. But I have seen the nostalgia colored lens many time before and you got all the symptoms.

Nostalgia? You got the wrong guy here, I’m sure a lot of people on A-M can attest to that especially with my comparisons with Benzema and some of the great strikers I grew up watching. Personally, I think it’s quite lazy to draw those saw of conclusions since I didn’t even state which era I’d say is the strongest in terms of competition.

Just for the sake of a debate, what would you say is the strongest era?

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Think football in general has massively declined, lots of running and a drop in technical ability I would say. No real flair or individual ability.

Spot on.

It’s not even enjoyable to watch, I’m not even sure how people can defend it to these lengths. I’d still have that view regardless of whether we were winning trophies or not. It goes back to my point that a player like Ronaldinho wouldn’t survive in this era with all these stats nerds questioning his work rate.

Farzad Stoned

Nostalgia? You got the wrong guy here, I’m sure a lot of people on A-M can attest to that especially with my comparisons with Benzema and some of the great strikers I grew up watching. Personally, I think it’s quite lazy to draw those saw of conclusions since I didn’t even state which era I’d say is the strongest in terms of competition.

Just for the sake of a debate, what would you say is the strongest era?
The current one, not because I like who wins but objectively the balance of financial power has moved from the continent to UK for football, the talent follows the money. It’s why you go to a Whole Foods in Westside LA and you see some women whose level simply doesn’t exist in these types of numbers in crapsville, Iowa.

Farzad Stoned

For example 15 years ago Haaland would not be going to City he would go to Real.

Mraven

Think football in general has massively declined, lots of running and a drop in technical ability I would say. No real flair or individual ability.
It’s the progress of the sport. Athletes are more important than pure technicians. Bad news for the entertainment, but it’s proof the overall quality is increasing

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

For example 15 years ago Haaland would not be going to City he would go to Real.

That’s another lazy one since it can go either way. Did you forget that Chelsea were doing similar when took the best LB in the world from us. He’d still be the best in the era too.

They were targeting every single player that both us and Man Utd were after. We wanted Cech but they ended up getting him, Utd identified Robben and Chelsea swooped in to sign him.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

The current one, not because I like who wins but objectively the balance of financial power has moved from the continent to UK for football, the talent follows the money. It’s why you go to a Whole Foods in Westside LA and you see some women whose level simply doesn’t exist in these types of numbers in crapsville, Iowa.

This shift always happens from time to time, it wasn’t too long ago when everyone gave up due to Barcelona and Spain’s dominance, the same goes for those licking their lips over German football and saying that Bayern/Germany team are the blueprint for teams to follow to achieve long term success.

Farzad Stoned

That’s another lazy one since it can go either way. Did you forget that Chelsea were doing similar when took the best LB in the world from us. He’d still be the best in the era too.

They were targeting every single player that both us and Man Utd were after. We wanted Cech but they ended up getting him, Utd identified Robben and Chelsea swooped in to sign him.
Chelsea were nobodies before Roman’s blood money, Man City was trash before the Butcher MBS’s blood money; as grotesque as I find it the objective results that two clubs that were nothings in early 2000s all of sudden are the biggest spenders in Europe. You don’t think that changes the overall strength of league? You basically are making my point for me to follow the money.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
This shift always happens from time to time, it wasn’t too long ago when everyone gave up due to Barcelona and Spain’s dominance, the same goes for those licking their lips over German football and saying that Bayern/Germany team are the blueprint for teams to follow to achieve long term success.
Bayern's blueprint was though, literally had their stadium built for free, tapped up every player in Germany or of German descent, think Lewa, Hummles etc. Then other European clubs started buying from Germany so now rather than getting players like Haalands and Haevertz they refuse to pay and get dross.

Farzad Stoned

No it actually doesn’t, I know at one time Italy was best at one time LA Liga. But you fail to understand the impact of globalization and global money on the game. For whatever reason tv rights buyers in China and the USA pay way more money for Pl games and fans give higher ratings than other leagues. In fact the impetus for the idiotic Super League was because the big continental leagues could not compete for the global tv cash cow, in particular America. You couldn’t find a football match on TV in America in the 70s and 80s unless you went to an English pub. These are not trends that will flip flop easily over time.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Bayern's blueprint was though, literally had their stadium built for free, tapped up every player in Germany or of German descent, think Lewa, Hummles etc. Then other European clubs started buying from Germany so now rather than getting players like Haalands and Haevertz they refuse to pay and get dross.

I agree, I was just using them as example to show how the opinion shifts amongst fans and the media as all these things go in cycles. It wasn’t too long ago when the using the Germany team that had the likes of Özil, Muller, Khedira etc as the way forward of moving building the England team.

I really don’t see this as anything different tbh.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom