• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
3-5-2
Ramsdale
Saliba - White - Gabriel
Tomiyasu - Ødegaard - Partey - Tchouameni - Kostic
Saka - Richarlison

ArsenalInMyHeart

This is your brain on ITK addiction
That team will be lucky to get 45 goals in the PL lool.
We need two top strikers in the team like Auba and Laca before.
Auba made 45 (G/A) in the last full season (2016/2017) with Dortmund and Laca made 42 (G/A) in the last season (2016/2017) with Lyon

We need another two strikers who can score like that

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We need two top strikers in the team like Auba and Laca before.
Auba made 45 (G/A) in the last full season (2016/2017) with Dortmund and Laca made 42 (G/A) in the last season (2016/2017) with Lyon

We need another two strikers who can score like that
Yeah. I would spend 80% of our budget on attackers. Our attack is poor. I rather have poor defence than poor attack

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Yeah. I would spend 80% of our budget on attackers. Our attack is poor. I rather have poor defence than poor attack
Just wondering, what would your wishlist look like? I want us to have a solid defence but I agree I would rather poor defence then attack

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't want to have such a big drop off in Central midfield and quite frankly I don't want to depend on Partey. Two seasons he has broken down and cost us. Look at how long he is out for. It is beyond ridiculous now. He shouldn't be considered the "starter". We should be spending our money on genuinely buying someone who can displace him as he hasn't proven to be reliable.

I want Cedric gone and what is the point in Nuno if Arteta doesn't trust him. I don't want to re-sign Elneny. What is the point?

If you look at who can play where, it becomes obvious that we can get away with minimal signings as players can play in multiple positions. The key aspect is the profile. If say Saka were to need a rest or get injured, we have no player who can come in and be a devastating dribbler with their left foot. It is too big a change. The same goes for Partey. If he gets injured, it becomes a massive problem as there is nobody with the physicality to match.

Tierney, Xhaka, Partey, Saka.
We have to double up on those players with quality additions. That is what would solidify us as a top four team.

CF: Jesus, Martinelli
Rw: Saka, Diaby, Jesus
Lw: Martinelli, ESR, Diaby, Saka, Jesus
AM: Ødegaard, ESR, Saka
CM 8: Tielemans, Xhaka, Tchouameni, Lokonga
CM 6: Tchouameni, Partey, Lokonga
Lb: Tierney, Hickey, Nuno, Tomi
RCb: White, Saliba, Tomi, Holding
LCB: Gabriel, Saliba, Tomi, Holding
RB: Tomi, Hickey, White, Saliba
Gk: Ramsdale, Turner, Youth

Hickey 15 million
Tchouameni 50 million
Tielemans 30 million
Jesus 42 million
Diaby 50 million

That's around 190 million

Pepe, Torreira, Guendouzi, Nketiah money, Mavropanos, Cedric, Nelson, AMN. That's around 60 million. Net of 130ish. It's quality over quantity for me.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Yank GK, Trustee, Saliba back,, Hickie, Bogle, Bissouma, Aouar, Jesus, Richarlison/Rashford/Sterling.

9 incomings might seem extreme, but with European football and a lot of players leaving, it is necessary. There are only 3 definite starters there as well.

Out: Leno, Bellerin, Holding, Mari, Tavares (loan), AMN, Nenny, Torreria, Guendouzi, Pepe, Laca, Nketiah, Balogun (loan), Nelson.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
am i the only one who prefers toney to jesus and co?
I like Toney but Jesus is the better player if he's available. Arguably we need an out and out goalscorer for other other striker option. That could be Nketiah if we take a punt on keeping him or someone else (maybe DCL/Osimhen/Nunez).

Personally I can't see us having the finances to get two marquee strikers in, so I would rather renew Nketiah and give him a chance as backup - at least until the winter window - and focus on two quality midfielders, one holding mid and one AM/ attacking 8 (possibly Tielemans & Bissouma or Phillips)

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Really want Potter here. Would elevate us to a top team with the same backing Arteta has been getting so far.

Elite manager. Tactically on point and plays beautiful footie as well. What are we waiting for?

Top top manager, and the natural successor to Arteta if he doesnt work out at the club IMO. Plays the same progressive, positional football, looking to get on the front foot regardless of the opposition. This is the football which Pep and Klopp follow and have now taken to the next level.

Good shout.

Last edited:

SA Gunner

We need players if we want to make a proper step as a comfortable top four side. So I see reports of us going for five players, I think we need seven.

I dont think they need to be the greatest players out there, like your Tchouaméni's for example, but if we go for such quality great. Rather players who can enter our system and make it work, both from a quality and depth perspective.

This is what I would have in mind, for a net spend of 150m, with players like Leno, Pepe, Torreira, Guendouzi, Nelson (possibly), Mavrapanos, Cedric, etc going out.

FW: Jesus, Osimhen, Gapko/Gnabry
Midfield: Tielemans, Brandt/Ruiz, Bissouma/Phillips
Defense: Hickey.

Renew: Elneny, Nketiah.
Send on loan: Lokonga, Tavares.

I like the look of Ruiz for example. Will cost a penny and it would difficult to get both Ruiz and Osimhen from Napoli, but a player like Ruiz gives us cover at both 6 and 8, and gives us real competition for both Xhaka and Partey. Would be a great signing IMO.

Issues around squad makeup, i.e. homegrown vs non-homegrown would come to mind. Im not able to balance the books so to speak with the above players. But something like this would give us the springboard we need IMO.

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
Top top manager, and the natural successor to Arteta if he doesnt work out at the club. Plays the same progressive, positional football, looking to get on the front foot regardless of the opposition. This is the football which Pep and Klopp follow and have now taken to the next level.

Good shout.
Sadly it will never happen. Blood is boiling atm

SA Gunner

Sadly it will never happen. Blood is boiling atm

I think Potter knows he would be a fit for the club, and I suspect he would stay at Brighton for another season, partially for this reason.

I think we're on a good wicket with Arteta though. Potter is currently ahead of Mikel in terms of the style we are moving towards and would explode if given the same opportunity at Arsenal. But I do feel that we are moving in the same direction stylistically.

Next season we should see things more clearly IMO.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

It's a very tricky summer as we need both quality and quantity to take the next step. Replacements/upgrades for Laca, Nketiah & Pépé, as well as competition for Tierney & Partey (I really don't think cover is enough) are essential to get in imo. Then I'd really like to see us upgrading LW & finding an alternative for Xhaka, neither upgrade nor cover, but rather competition in the form a different profile. We also need another CB, but I'm just going to assume Saliba for that. Ideally we'd upgrade on Cedric and Holding as well, but there's only so much we can do in one window and I think we're ok there for another year.

With all of this in mind, I think we should look for quality players that are versatile and can fill several positions as well as a bit different profiles.

Cucurella is immediate competition for Tierney and could very well make it his place in the starting 11. League proven and even though he gets praise, imo he's very underestimated.

Bissouma is proven in the league and a good age. One year on the contract so could potentially be available to an attractive fee. Boubacar Kamara of Marseille is out of contract in June and a very decent alternative.

Aouar would be my first choice for LCM alternative as he's a very versatile player who can play almost anywhere i midfield or as LW. Tielemans a close second. Aouar probably cheaper and a bit more dynamic than Tielemans who's a bit more resemblant to Xhaka.

Nkunku must be one of the most versatile players in world football right now, having played pretty much every position except LB and CB. I'd get him in and look to play him as LW/left inside forward or LCM, depending on opposition, but he could also play as false 9.

Jesus seems to be more or less certain to happen and I'm happy enough with it. He'd come to be starting CF, but can play anywhere across the front line in our setup.

For a more target man CF alternative I'd ideally want Osimhen or Núñez, with Abraham as a wild card, but all probably cost too much in relation to the rest of the business we need to do. No one else really excites me. I'd probably look at using Martinelli as CF cover and bring back Nelson as wing cover. Not ideal of course, but gets the count up and Nelson will do a better job than Pépé's done this year.

A wild card for replacing Holding would be Dan-Axel Zagadou, who's out of contract at Dortmund in June. Probably a downgrade compared to Holding because of experience, but with bigger upside. Left footed and very good passing stats so could be something there perhaps.

Ramsdale, Turner
Tomi, Cedric
White, Saliba
Gabriel, Zagadou
Cucurella
, Tierney
Partey, Bissouma
Ødegaard
Xhaka, Aouar
Saka, Nelson
Jesus
, Martinelli
Nkunku, ESR

Not the fanciest names but would still probably amount to something like €230m. Outgoings of around €80-90m (incl Holding) so a substantial net spend. I'd consider if Nkunku is a vanity signing and we'd be better of with a more target man profile for backup CF, but I just really like the player and would opt to go big on CF next year instead. Only player that doesn't have an out and out backup is Ødegaard, but I don't think there is a good one out there and we could still cover his position with the likes of Nkunku, ESR & Aouar

Barry

It's a very tricky summer as we need both quality and quantity to take the next step. Replacements/upgrades for Laca, Nketiah & Pépé, as well as competition for Tierney & Partey (I really don't think cover is enough) are essential to get in imo. Then I'd really like to see us upgrading LW & finding an alternative for Xhaka, neither upgrade nor cover, but rather competition in the form a different profile. We also need another CB, but I'm just going to assume Saliba for that. Ideally we'd upgrade on Cedric and Holding as well, but there's only so much we can do in one window and I think we're ok there for another year.

With all of this in mind, I think we should look for quality players that are versatile and can fill several positions as well as a bit different profiles.

Cucurella is immediate competition for Tierney and could very well make it his place in the starting 11. League proven and even though he gets praise, imo he's very underestimated.

Bissouma is proven in the league and a good age. One year on the contract so could potentially be available to an attractive fee. Boubacar Kamara of Marseille is out of contract in June and a very decent alternative.

Aouar would be my first choice for LCM alternative as he's a very versatile player who can play almost anywhere i midfield or as LW. Tielemans a close second. Aouar probably cheaper and a bit more dynamic than Tielemans who's a bit more resemblant to Xhaka.

Nkunku must be one of the most versatile players in world football right now, having played pretty much every position except LB and CB. I'd get him in and look to play him as LW/left inside forward or LCM, depending on opposition, but he could also play as false 9.

Jesus seems to be more or less certain to happen and I'm happy enough with it. He'd come to be starting CF, but can play anywhere across the front line in our setup.

For a more target man CF alternative I'd ideally want Osimhen or Núñez, with Abraham as a wild card, but all probably cost too much in relation to the rest of the business we need to do. No one else really excites me. I'd probably look at using Martinelli as CF cover and bring back Nelson as wing cover. Not ideal of course, but gets the count up and Nelson will do a better job than Pépé's done this year.

A wild card for replacing Holding would be Dan-Axel Zagadou, who's out of contract at Dortmund in June. Probably a downgrade compared to Holding because of experience, but with bigger upside. Left footed and very good passing stats so could be something there perhaps.

Ramsdale, Turner
Tomi, Cedric
White, Saliba
Gabriel, Zagadou
Cucurella
, Tierney
Partey, Bissouma
Ødegaard
Xhaka, Aouar
Saka, Nelson
Jesus
, Martinelli
Nkunku, ESR

Not the fanciest names but would still probably amount to something like €230m. Outgoings of around €80-90m (incl Holding) so a substantial net spend. I'd consider if Nkunku is a vanity signing and we'd be better of with a more target man profile for backup CF, but I just really like the player and would opt to go big on CF next year instead. Only player that doesn't have an out and out backup is Ødegaard, but I don't think there is a good one out there and we could still cover his position with the likes of Nkunku, ESR & Aouar
Great post 👍

I totally get your logic behind each of the names. Could see those 5 signings working out very well, but for the sake of debate, these are my two cents on your picks -

Cucurella - classy player and great addition to the squad, but could we get him for less than £40m? I'm sceptical. Think there's more pressing areas to invest. What do you think about Hickey as an alternative out of interest?

Bissouma or a similar level holding midfielder - think this is absolutely crucial as well but worried that with Elneny getting extended it will be the area that gets ignored. It's especially nuts given the number of decent options available cheaply at the moment (as an aside, I still think we should have pushed harder for Bruno Guimares who's looking quality at Newcastle now);

Aouar - Tielemans has undeniably had a bad season, but he'd still be my pick from these two. Aouar has decent stats but there's red flags with him - doesn't seem influential enough across a season unless that's changed massively. Would be much more excited about Paqueta for that role but he's right sided so it's probably unlikely...

Nelson - interesting shout as his form picks up but I'm not really keen on the idea to be honest and would rather we cash in if there's an option to. He might be alright as a squaddie but I can't see him offering more than Pepe. Think that Jesus will give us that cover on the right side, which would mean another CF coming in potentially.

Nkunku - quality player but similar profile to Jesus. Not sure that we'd need both, especially if Tielemans comes in as well. Osimhen and Nunez are probably the two that I would prioritise as well (thought you were really against Nunez though from memory?)

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Great post 👍

I totally get your logic behind each of the names. Could see those 5 signings working out very well, but for the sake of debate, these are my two cents on your picks -

Cucurella - classy player and great addition to the squad, but could we get him for less than £40m? I'm sceptical. Think there's more pressing areas to invest. What do you think about Hickey as an alternative out of interest?
Not sure I agree about more pressing areas, I guess it depends. I've gone with €50m which I think is £42m(?). Hickey is rumoured to be €20m. So what would you use those extra €30m for. I'd take Kamara & Cucurella over Bissouma & Hickey for example. I'd take Núñez & Cucurella over Osimhen & Hickey (and I really want Osimhen over Núñez). I think that with Cucurella we get a top level LB. Someone who will have the same impact and give us a similar style of play as Robertson. I think that shouldn't be underestimated and the time to get him is now imo, which also plays a part.
Bissouma or a similar level holding midfielder - think this is absolutely crucial as well but worried that with Elneny getting extended it will be the area that gets ignored. It's especially nuts given the number of decent options available cheaply at the moment (as an aside, I still think we should have pushed harder for Bruno Guimares who's looking quality at Newcastle now);
Elneny has done a tremendous job and I'm someone who's actually rated him as a very reliable option. It wouldn't be the worst thing to extend for a year or so, but given that it's probably at least 3 years I really hope we see past recency bias. I wanted Guimaraes so I agree there, although I don't see him as an alternative for Partey, but rather Xhaka :)
Aouar - Tielemans has undeniably had a bad season, but he'd still be my pick from these two. Aouar has decent stats but there's red flags with him - doesn't seem influential enough across a season unless that's changed massively. Would be much more excited about Paqueta for that role but he's right sided so it's probably unlikely...
Yeah I've wanted both. I think with Aouar if you look at his contribution this year he's mostly played in a defensive double pivot. He just has the technique and passing and flair I want. If Tielemans is more like Xhaka then Aouar is more akin to B. Silva and I'd take that any day.
Nelson - interesting shout as his form picks up but I'm not really keen on the idea to be honest and would rather we cash in if there's an option to. He might be alright as a squaddie but I can't see him offering more than Pepe. Think that Jesus will give us that cover on the right side, which would mean another CF coming in potentially.
Yeah I see Nelson as an enabler more than anything. He wouldn't really be the Saka sub, but rather the 6th man across the front three and he wouldn't play much even with European competition. The comment regarding him vs Pépé is based on the latter's declining form and total lack of interest.
Nkunku - quality player but similar profile to Jesus. Not sure that we'd need both, especially if Tielemans comes in as well. Osimhen and Nunez are probably the two that I would prioritise as well (thought you were really against Nunez though from memory?)
Yeah this is the one where I struggle. I just like Nkunku that much I guess. He's just quality and have been for a long time wherever he's played. I'm not sure enough about Abraham or Nunez to rate them higher, but of course it'd be nice to have a different type of player as alternative to Jesus.

I guess it's regarding that the tricky part with Cucurella over Hickey comes in. Say we put the 30m difference towards Scamacca instead, sell Nelson and have a front 6 of Nkunku, ESR, Jesus, Scamacca, Sake, Martinelli. I honestly don't know then, but I think I feel it'd be a shame if we had Jesus and Scamacca blocking our two CF spots going into next summer...

And yeah, I was really opposed to Nunez, but in the end the numbers become hard to ignore and watching him play I just feel he's improving which would indicate that it's not a one off season and that he can improve enough to adapt to a more competitive league.

Last edited:

SA Gunner

@Sebastes I like your squad options, nicely balanced in most areas. Auoar would be an inspired choice if we can get him for a good price.

I have a question however, and that's around height and subsequent aerial ability around our box. Dont you think we need that to be more rounded in attacking areas?

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

@Sebastes I like your squad options, nicely balanced in most areas. Auoar would be an inspired choice if we can get him for a good price.

I have a question however, and that's around height and subsequent aerial ability around our box. Dont you think we need that to be more rounded in attacking areas?
You mean the way City, who has scored 19 and conceded 1 set piece goals, has a lot of aerial ability? :shivering:

Tongue in cheek ofc and I really don't know tbh. I wouldn't optimise my CF signing on defending our box, but sure, it could be a factor for attacking set pieces. Don't really see how it differs from this season though, it's not like a major downgrade if you go player by player. Looking at Aouar vs Xhaka for example, there's of course a downgrade there. I think I'd assume it's subsidised by general play and possession.

Barry

Not sure I agree about more pressing areas, I guess it depends. I've gone with €50m which I think is £42m(?). Hickey is rumoured to be €20m. So what would you use those extra €30m for. I'd take Kamara & Cucurella over Bissouma & Hickey for example. I'd take Núñez & Cucurella over Osimhen & Hickey (and I really want Osimhen over Núñez). I think that with Cucurella we get a top level LB. Someone who will have the same impact and give us a similar style of play as Robertson. I think that shouldn't be underestimated and the time to get him is now imo, which also plays a part.

Elneny has done a tremendous job and I'm someone who's actually rated him as a very reliable option. It wouldn't be the worst thing to extend for a year or so, but given that it's probably at least 3 years I really hope we see past recency bias. I wanted Guimaraes so I agree there, although I don't see him as an alternative for Partey, but rather Xhaka :)

Yeah I've wanted both. I think with Aouar if you look at his contribution this year he's mostly played in a defensive double pivot. He just has the technique and passing and flair I want. If Tielemans is more like Xhaka then Aouar is more akin to B. Silva and I'd take that any day.

Yeah I see Nelson as an enabler more than anything. He wouldn't really be the Saka sub, but rather the 6th man across the front three and he wouldn't play much even with European competition. The comment regarding him vs Pépé is based on the latter's declining form and total lack of interest.

Yeah this is the one where I struggle. I just like Nkunku that much I guess. He's just quality and have been for a long time wherever he's played. I'm not sure enough about Abraham or Nunez to rate them higher, but of course it'd be nice to have a different type of player as alternative to Jesus.

I guess it's regarding that the tricky part with Cucurella over Hickey comes in. Say we put the 30m difference towards Scamacca instead, sell Nelson and have a front 6 of Nkunku, ESR, Jesus, Scamacca, Sake, Martinelli. I honestly don't know then, but I think I feel it'd be a shame if we had Jesus and Scamacca blocking our two CF spots going into next summer...

And yeah, I was really opposed to Nunez, but in the end the numbers become hard to ignore and watching him play I just feel he's improving which would indicate that it's not a one off season and that he can improve enough to adapt to a more competitive league.
Nice, I haven't got much to add. Aouar's passing range is very underrated because he's such a good dribbler with the ball. I'd still worry about how well he adapts to the league though.

Very interesting reading respected views on the forum about our left back situation. I'm a bit surprised that so many people rate left back as a priority over Centre Mid, but can't argue with Cucurella - would be a quality signing even if he's expensive. Kamara could be a good free agent signing but by the time you've paid the "freemium" I'd rather spend a bit more on a player with experience in the league for this position...

And yeah, striker remains the biggest decision in some ways. Jesus is such an obvious choice to bring in but we're still likely to need more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom