• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

mpower2540

The biggest damage finishing 8th has done is allow a 5th place to be seen as progress by the club. There should be no difference being 5th or 8th to a club like Arsenal. It's an average season however you look at it.
I'd call it progress if the performances were significantly better. We've spent 150m and we're more or less the same team we were last season. We've scored one extra goal, conceded more, one injury can still completely destabilize the team, our press is still rubbish, our ability to deal with a press is still inconsistent, and sustaining attacks and creating clear chances is still a problem. This is all in comparison with last season which was arguably our worst premier league campaign ever.

Have we improved? Maybe? A little bit? But with a 150m pound outlay we're still pretty much the same team we were a year ago

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Make no mistake, if he is backed with another 150m window, the expectation should be a title challenge, no doubt about that. How much did Klopp spend before he got Liverpool challenging for the league and CL?
2 seasons at 8th and at some point being 16th and the words relegation has completely changed this club. Arteta honestly made us a team that would celebrate like a title. On Twitter a lot of our fans were saying 4th should make him manager of the season

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I'd call it progress if the performances were significantly better. We've spent 150m and we're more or less the same team we were last season. We've scored one extra goal, conceded more, one injury can still completely destabilize the team, our press is still rubbish, our ability to deal with a press is still inconsistent, and sustaining attacks and creating clear chances is still a problem. This is all in comparison with last season which was arguably our worst premier league campaign ever.

Have we improved? Maybe? A little bit? But with a 150m pound outlay we're still pretty much the same team we were a year ago

There was a spell from sometime in December up till and including the City game where I could definitely see progress in the way we where playing. Sadly we've reverted back to type since then.

You could've watched games like Newcastle and Southampton, just to pick out a few, on many occasions last season.

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
There was a spell from sometime in December up till and including the City game where I could definitely see progress in the way we where playing. Sadly we've reverted back to type since then.

You could've watched games like Newcastle and Southampton, just to pick out a few, on many occasions last season.
Exactly. That was a short spell where we could see that there was something going on. That's also when I thought that we were onto something and we could continue on a good run.

But alas, without the whole first XI fit we are unable to recreate that.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Lol. Read, weep and apologise. I've circled it for you.

B64-A3637-52-DF-4-C37-B959-D9828-ED9-B0-B6.jpg
Look at #4, you big dope

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Exactly. That was a short spell where we could see that there was something going on. That's also when I thought that we were onto something and we could continue on a good run.

But alas, without the whole first XI fit we are unable to recreate that.
Is this any different from a player who is not good enough have a short spell where he shows potential, but 80% of the time be underwhelming

Since Arteta took over I think atleast 80% of the time we played poor to average football. Even when getting results we rarely look convincing

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
@Riou you think getting back to where he started after 5 transfer windows, £220m and all his own players is a success, when Conte is likely to do better spending £24m and 1 transfer window. Come on bro. Thought better of you. :(

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Make no mistake, if he is backed with another 150m window, the expectation should be a title challenge, no doubt about that. How much did Klopp spend before he got Liverpool challenging for the league and CL?

Expecting 150M to put us in a title challenge when none of our players would get into City or Liverpool's XI and City have just slammed down £250m on Halaand and spent a billion on their back 5 alone over the last decade. Sounds realistic

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Expecting 150M to put us in a title challenge when none of our players would get into City or Liverpool's XI and City have just slammed down £250m on Halaand and spent a billion on their back 5 alone over the last decade. Sounds realistic

What should we expect next season?

Kav

Established Member

The PR machine is back in full flow.
This is the one thing I can’t accept from Arteta and the club. The constant PR messages and justification exercises by the club and manager.

The more you try to frame it as a good job the more people will see that you’re incapable of doing a good job. You came 8th last season you lowered the clubs standing. Coming 5th isn’t beyond expectations it is the bare minimum!

I don’t think I have ever seen another manager make such an effort to publicly justify his actions.

Just get on with your actual job of managing the team.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Arteta took at team that was hovering around 5-8th, and has so far spent 200m net, which should have been enough for top 4 this year, especially with no European football.

If he achieved his own goal this year (top 4), and spent another 100m net, the obvious next step would be a title challenge no?

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
Is this any different from a player who is not good enough have a short spell where he shows potential, but 80% of the time be underwhelming

Since Arteta took over I think atleast 80% of the time we played poor to average football. Even when getting results we rarely look convincing
True.

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom