• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Considering Transfer Targets: Summer 2022 🛒

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 14,044
  • Views 967,312

If we only make one more signing, which would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

I think he needs to work on his fitness and open another position for himself in the team, he definitely has it in him to be a left sided 8 in our 433, just needs to find it.

That would give him LW and LCM. Not terrible. 2-3rd choice LW and 1-2nd choice LCM in Europe will still get you 25-30 games a season.

We do not play 433.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I think he needs to work on his fitness and open another position for himself in the team, he definitely has it in him to be a left sided 8 in our 433, just needs to find it.

That would give him LW and LCM. Not terrible. 2-3rd choice LW and 1-2nd choice LCM in Europe will still get you 25-30 games a season.
I don't think he does, passes too safe to play central, and usually sideways or backwards. Too often he passes the ball straight back to where it came from. Winger is his best position imo, unlucky to be in a team with Saka, Martinelli and fingers crossed, Raphinha.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I don't think he does, passes too safe to play central, and usually sideways or backwards. Too often he passes the ball straight back to where it came from. Winger is his best position imo, unlucky to be in a team with Saka, Martinelli and fingers crossed, Raphinha.
He can be an elite ball carrier no.8 who kinda acts like a box to box if he increases his physique and defensive awareness. Doesn’t have it now but down the line. You are forgetting his knack for goal too, he can really develop that from the advanced no.8 position and give a different profile to Ødegaard for example.

Elite ball carrying + chipping in with arrivals into the box with goals is adding quite a lot to be fair, like a Ramsey with better dribbling but worse vision.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
I agree ESR is in trouble, it lines up nicely with our philosophy of constantly alienate or just get rid of our top scorers and top assist makers

Willian - Out
Laca - Out
Auba - Out
Pepe - Most likely out

That's Saka and ESR next, delivering the goods in Arteta's reign is basically a death sentence.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It probably cost us top 4 in reality but the nice thing about gutting the squad in the winter is we haven't been constricted in having to get players off the wage bill before we bring our targets in this window.

Getting some of our main targets done and dusted early doors makes me feel a bit more comfortable and will hopefully give a number of our recruits a nice pre season with us.

Think we'll at least be able to relax on deadline day with our incomings done....Hopefully :lol:

Gunner-Union

Raphina, Martinez and Jesus would be great but imo we still need an 8 and im
Not convinced on tielemans at both sides of the game

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
The Smith is in real trouble imo. World Cup dreams certainly over. The Vieira signing has completely thrown things for him, before, i was expecting one striker and a winger. With that, i thought, ESR as the 4th choice winger, rotating, but also able to fill in for Ødegaard, maybe in the EL. Now? He literally only has one position in the team, and he's probably the 5th or 6th best option there behind Raphinha Saka Martinelli Jesus Vieira.
The Vieira signing is bad news for him, agreed, but I think this is going a bit far. He's dropped to 2nd or 3rd choice on left wing (if we sign Raph) and either 3rd choice no. 10 or possibly a left sided attacking 8. Both Vieira and Ødegaard naturally gravitate towards the right half space, so there might still be a use for him for balance on the other side in some matches.

Legend14

Established Member
ESR is not used properly because his best position is the same as Bergkamp. In addition Arteta is a possession first manager and ESR is a lets just score and win type of player.

Unfortunately he’ll have to compete in a position that doesn’t suit him, because many teams now run a 4-3-3 formation.

Ind0Gunnerz

If we can get atleast jesus and rapinha before the season start, it will be the most un-arsenal thing to get the critical signings done early and its positive. Especially with our easier games schedule at the start of the season. Ideally we need a CM too, but I still trust Partey (is he fit?) and Xhaka in the first 2-3 games.. and get the established CM when the games get tougher.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
ESR will have a lot of work to do in order to fight for his spot - no doubt about that !

However, it's quite clear for me that he's so special and talented that he has all that is needed to outperform anyone on his day. Just depends how he adapts to that kind of competition.

I have rarely seen such a dangerous AM - if he matures along with it, he's going to be freakin massive. So I definitely see him in the centre, that is.

MikeVinna

Established Member
Been low-key afraid to say it on here but ESR is the reason I don’t like the Vieira signing. We haven’t signed anyone yet that we actually need. Sure, Jesus will change that but a CF is also the bare minimum after Auba and Laca’s departures. You could even say we should’ve signed one in January and it’ll have bagged us CL football.

I know there’s a lot of positivity on here regarding transfers but I’m just a little wary. I mean we’ve signed Vieira and could not end up improving an important area like central midfield.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Do you think ESR could do what KdB does? If he can then he surely could play the LCM position. Lots of matches we see at City they rotate both CMs a lot, like Liverpool does as well. Some matches you see Bernardo there with De Bruyne and sometimes you see Gundogan over there with one of the other two. So it would be very reasonable to have ESR, Ødegaard, Viera and Xhaka/Tielmans rotating there. But as I said it depends if ESR can revamp his game to be able to add more physic, carry the ball with speed and put that key pass ala KdB. So for being capable of that a better positioning and physical presence is key.

Gunner-Union

Do you think ESR could do what KdB does? If he can then he surely could play the LCM position. Lots of matches we see at City they rotate both CMs a lot, like Liverpool does as well. Some matches you see Bernardo there with De Bruyne and sometimes you see Gundogan over there with one of the other two. So it would be very reasonable to have ESR, Ødegaard, Viera and Xhaka/Tielmans rotating there. But as I said it depends if ESR can revamp his game to be able to add more physic, carry the ball with speed and put that key pass ala KdB. So for being capable of that a better positioning and physical presence is key

ESR def has the ball carrying to be a cm and has good size and strength but needs to learn the defensive side and not just tackling but reading the game in a defensive way

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
ESR def has the ball carrying to be a cm and has good size and strength but needs to learn the defensive side and not just tackling but reading the game in a defensive way
Exactly... The positioning more than the tackling. KdB is not even good defending, average but he position himself well. Something ESR should learn which comes with years playing there. But tbf playing the 433 is very different to play in a 2 midfield or 10. Each role operate in very different zones and I think the LCM is definitely for him to take it at the contrary of playing as 8 in a 4231 which is much more deep as you need even more defending skills and to play very differently, less advanced man's offensively, far from the goal. ESR even has goals on him which suits more an advanced and offensive LCM protected by a DM role like Partey does.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Do you think ESR could do what KdB does? If he can then he surely could play the LCM position. Lots of matches we see at City they rotate both CMs a lot, like Liverpool does as well. Some matches you see Bernardo there with De Bruyne and sometimes you see Gundogan over there with one of the other two. So it would be very reasonable to have ESR, Ødegaard, Viera and Xhaka/Tielmans rotating there. But as I said it depends if ESR can revamp his game to be able to add more physic, carry the ball with speed and put that key pass ala KdB. So for being capable of that a better positioning and physical presence is key.
Lmao, no, ESR has a basic level of passing. He will never be able to do what KDB does.

ESR would have thrived in an old Wenger team, where players play close together, one touch, pass and move. Artetas football is about making the pitch as big as possible, working the ball wide, and cutting the ball into the box.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
ESR is not used properly because his best position is the same as Bergkamp. In addition Arteta is a possession first manager and ESR is a lets just score and win type of player.

Unfortunately he’ll have to compete in a position that doesn’t suit him, because many teams now run a 4-3-3 formation.
He doesn't have the vision, tempo, or passing range to play that role. Its like when people kept thinking Grealish could play 10. They are ball carriers, they are best used on the left wing.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

What do you reckon his best position is? Because I'm not sure...

To me the way he plays the game, he's more a forward than a midfielder at this stage. He doesn't really get involved in build up and his game revolves around going past people.

I think he can eventually develop into an offensive 8 in a 433, but he's well off that at the minute so I think LW suits him best currently.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Been low-key afraid to say it on here but ESR is the reason I don’t like the Vieira signing. We haven’t signed anyone yet that we actually need. Sure, Jesus will change that but a CF is also the bare minimum after Auba and Laca’s departures. You could even say we should’ve signed one in January and it’ll have bagged us CL football.

I know there’s a lot of positivity on here regarding transfers but I’m just a little wary. I mean we’ve signed Vieira and could not end up improving an important area like central midfield.
Vieira is most likely going to be a CM for us though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom