• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lisandro Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

You two are stuck in 2005. It's clear why every team needs a lcb and a rcb.

If you want to be better you need to improve every detail
I’m not stuck anywhere, I’m from the Dutch football school of course I believe in it

Reactions: Xln

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
KT is the most overrated player of Arsenal imo. We should seriously consider replacing him, and I am glad Arteta is also not convinced with him. This is the difference between Arteta and Wenger. If a player leads to a problem, he tries to address it with buying a new player. For many years, Wenger waited for Diaby, Wilshear, and Ramsey to get fit. We have the ****ing Almunia and Ospina as the first GK for several years. Hopefully, Arteta proves himself and his values this season

Didn’t you know? Wenger never had the money to replace those guys. Get with the programme!

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I do agree with your sentiment but I do think you’re being harsh on Wenger. As you can see, Arteta is being heavily backed by the Kroenkes like no other. If Arteta makes a mistake he has the money to quickly correct it. On the other hand Wenger had to polish turds. I’m sure if Wenger had similar resources he wouldn’t have wasted his time developing some players.
Was Wenger given such a budget? I would not begin to compare the two managers.
The thing is though, why wasn't Wenger given a budget? Considering he was the best manager the club had ever seen and revolutionised the Premier League. We started spending money the season he left the club under Raul and now Arteta + Edu.

Why wasn't he getting money from the Kroenke's but the next 2 regimes did?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The thing is though, why wasn't Wenger given a budget? Considering he was the best manager the club had ever seen and revolutionised the Premier League. We started spending money the season he left the club under Raul and now Arteta + Edu.

Why wasn't he getting money from the Kroenke's but the next 2 regimes did?

Don't think Wenger ever had a window with KSE owning 100% of the shares? Think its been mentioned a few times by journos, and even Josh alluded to it, that the Kroenke's only fully started loosening the purse strings when they got full ownership.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Don't think Wenger ever had a window with KSE owning 100% of the shares? Think its been mentioned a few times by journos, and even Josh alluded to it, that the Kroenke's only fully started loosening the purse strings when they got full ownership.
Part of me thinks that's a convenient excuse. They knew Wenger could do the job of gettin top 4 without spending loads so they took advantage.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
So where do people See martinez as?

A) as a CM as a Partey and Xhaka upgrade?

B) Back up LB for Tierney and a back up LCB for Gabriel?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Part of me thinks that's a convenient excuse. They knew Wenger could do the job of gettin top 4 without spending loads so they took advantage.

Probably is a factor. But then could they have restructured the debt in the way they have with only 2/3's of the shares (not a financial guy so don't have a clue)?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I see him as an LCB/LB option. Think he probably displaces KT in the first choice 11.

Don't see him as a midfielder at all, we have too many bodies there as it is.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I see him as an LCB/LB option. Think he probably displaces KT in the first choice 11.

Don't see him as a midfielder at all, we have too many bodies there as it is.

We have onne of if not the best LB in the league in KT (granted he is injury prone)

Yet we have 4 cms in Xhaka, Partey, Lokonga and Elneny who a who up to the quality to be starting for us.

I haven't seen this guy play but if we aren't going to use him at CM to address our biggest weakness than O rather we spend the money on Tielemens to do so.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We have onne of if not the best LB in the league in KT (granted he is injury prone)

Yet we have 4 cms in Xhaka, Partey, Lokonga and Elneny who a who up to the quality to be starting for us.

I haven't seen this guy play but if we aren't going to use him at CM to address our biggest weakness than O rather we spend the money on Tielemens to do so.

Yeah, I like Tierney but you can't trust him to play over 25 games a season. Its the harsh reality.

This guy looks elite on the ball and actually think in an Arteta team the fullbacks get the most time on the ball. Also have concerns about his physicality at CB in the PL despite the stats people are bringing up.

Doesn't look like any of those CMs are going, and if one does go we will probably bring Tielemans in. Don't see where this lad would feature in the midfield.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Doesn't look like any of those CMs are going, and if one does go we will probably bring Tielemans in. Don't see where this lad would feature in the midfield.
Maybe he can be a backup for Partey in a 433, which Tielemans or Xhaka would not be able to do. It's obviously a long shot but Martinez's strengths seem to be breakng up play and being really good on the ball. If he can transfer that to that playing as a lone DM he could be the most immediate alternative to Partey in our squad.

Bloodbather

Established Member

B, but I see him eventually displacing Tierney as our main LB. He definitely isn't replacing Partey or Xhaka, he'd be the backup option at single pivot DM or the left-sided DM in a double pivot.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
You spend £40-50m for a guy you've bought after rating him as a LCB. He's coming here to play LCB.

He's played 6 games at LB for Ajax in the past 3 years and none at all last season.

Sure he'll probably be cover for KT but FM isn't real life. He's a LCB who can fill in in a couple of other positions if needs be.

Bloodbather

Established Member

You spend £40-50m for a guy you've bought after rating him as a LCB. He's coming here to play LCB.

He's played 6 games at LB for Ajax in the past 3 years and none at all last season.

Sure he'll probably be cover for KT but FM isn't real life. He's a LCB who can fill in in a couple of other positions if needs be.
You are not taking tactics into account. Full-back for Arteta and full-back for Ten Hag aren't the same thing, just like they aren't same thing for Klopp and Pep.

Ajax plays a high line where both CBs are in midfield in attack, ball distribution and pace are the biggest attributes for their CBs, which is why they favored two short CBs in Lisandro and Timber. They don't have inverted full-backs.

He's mainly a LCB, but his skillset fits the profile of an inverted left-back, that's why the idea makes sense.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Maybe he can be a backup for Partey in a 433, which Tielemans or Xhaka would not be able to do. It's obviously a long shot but Martinez's strengths seem to be breakng up play and being really good on the ball. If he can transfer that to that playing as a lone DM he could be the most immediate alternative to Partey in our squad.

I'm not so sure. They've obviously seen him as a target for a while, in which case why did they extend ElNeny if they saw him as more than a defender? Think we've got 3 players for that position in Partey, Lokonga and ElNeny, and if we play a double pivot Xhaka can play as a deeper midfielder as well.

Also think you need some physicality and power in that position. Really think think guy would suit us at LB.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I'm not so sure. They've obviously seen him as a target for a while, in which case why did they extend ElNeny if they saw him as more than a defender? Think we've got 3 players for that position in Partey, Lokonga and ElNeny, and if we play a double pivot Xhaka can play as a deeper midfielder as well.

Also think you need some physicality and power in that position. Really think think guy would suit us at LB.
I do think he suits us at LB as well, I just think that he may be one of the most versatile players around and could actually step in for Partey at DM in 433 (in theory, on paper). He is extremely aggressive and has power for sure.

I dont think Lokonga or Elneny can back DM in a 433 like we need them to, its a tough role where you need to match defensive awareness / interceptions with ball playing ability. I'd say those are 2 of Martinez' biggest strengths.

Anyway I agree about your posts regarding our fullbacks needing to be good on the ball and inverting. He is great for that.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
From the very little I've seen, this guy looks the best alternative to Partey. In all the formations people have been posting, Partey has been the one constant right in front of the defence. He may not even be fit to start the season. Without a viable alternative to Partey, everything else fails. We can't put Lokonga there, Elneny isn't good enough and Xhaka will be targeted. If KT is also unfit to start the season, Arteta will have a choice to make. 42m is acceptable to stop a U shaped attack or having no functional midfield. I'd prioritise this fella over Raphina

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Nail on the head.

Gabriel has his phisical presence going for him. Good recovery, great phisicality and not bad at passing.

If Martinez is here and copes with that aspect of the PL well enough, I think he gets ahead of Magalhães.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Look there no new big updates with this one maybe next week after Raphinha deal because it's more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom