• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lisandro Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
From the very little I've seen, this guy looks the best alternative to Partey. In all the formations people have been posting, Partey has been the one constant right in front of the defence. He may not even be fit to start the season. Without a viable alternative to Partey, everything else fails. We can't put Lokonga there, Elneny isn't good enough and Xhaka will be targeted. If KT is also unfit to start the season, Arteta will have a choice to make. 42m is acceptable to stop a U shaped attack or having no functional midfield. I'd prioritise this fella over Raphina
One million percent. Lisandro is a crucial signing.

Transformational for the squad.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You spend £40-50m for a guy you've bought after rating him as a LCB. He's coming here to play LCB.

He's played 6 games at LB for Ajax in the past 3 years and none at all last season.

Sure he'll probably be cover for KT but FM isn't real life. He's a LCB who can fill in in a couple of other positions if needs be.

Really just don't see how a 5'9 CB is going to cut it in PL. Arteta's said before about the importance of physicality in this league. Now I know he has good areal stats in the Dutch league, but this is a different kettle of fish.

But agree it seems unlikely we're spending that much for him to be a backup. I think by the looks of it Holding is staying, and they're trying to ship Nuno out; which may also be another hint at his position.

In any case it will be interesting to see what happens with him if he signs.

Badger_Revenge

I agree, this one is incredibly important as cover to three positions that were plagued by injuries at one time or another - CB, LB and Partey. That's what killed our CL chances this year in the end. We need to give those players a rest, and replace them with quality. With more matches to play and 5 subs, a proper cover becomes crucial and worth the money. Also, with 5 subs, the ability to use tactical substitutions to change formation/approach will become more critical.

He can do a job at LB for Tierney, can fill in well for Partey, and can back up Gabriel. Think he replaces Holding long term, if they can afford the hit to the home-grown count. I don't think he challenges Gabriel for a starting spot anytime soon, but I bet he gets in most games some-how anyway.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

From the very little I've seen, this guy looks the best alternative to Partey. In all the formations people have been posting, Partey has been the one constant right in front of the defence. He may not even be fit to start the season. Without a viable alternative to Partey, everything else fails. We can't put Lokonga there, Elneny isn't good enough and Xhaka will be targeted. If KT is also unfit to start the season, Arteta will have a choice to make. 42m is acceptable to stop a U shaped attack or having no functional midfield. I'd prioritise this fella over Raphina
Partey is world class midfielder. This guy is CB. Plays CB for club and country.

6gunner

What makes Partey special, and why he makes us so much better, is he can receive the ball, turn one man, beat the next with a dribble, and beat the third with a pass—and do that multiple times in a game. Show me one highlight of this guy doing that. If anyone is expecting him to replace Partey they are going to be very, very disappointed.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We need you at Colney FFS.
You are such a nerd. Can never think for yourself. Anyone the club is linked with you suck them off and take any contrast view personally. No player can play 3 different positions like cb, lb and dm at high pl level. This ain’t FM so stop with the covering 3 positions. He hasn’t played in midfield once in the last 2 years

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Partey is world class midfielder. This guy is CB. Plays CB for club and country.
I know CB has been his main position but there's a not insognificant body of work with him in midfield. I actually think that CB is the last position he will play if he joins us but who knows. Partey is world class and we currently have nobody at the club who can fill in for him. I feel Lisandro could do a job there 🤞

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I'm in the same place, where this is the signing I want the most right now, but starting to question whether my view is sound or if we've been sucked into one of those occasional Arsenal-Mania alternate realities that spin out from time to time...

We're talking about spending up to £40m to get him - a player who on paper (and YouTube...) looks like he could do a brilliant job covering Partey or Tierney. But he doesn't play LB or midfield very much... and we don't really need a £40m CB... so what's going on here? Is this all just a fantasy, I'm not sure.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm in the same place, where this is the signing I want the most right now, but starting to question whether my view is sound or if we've been sucked into one of those occasional Arsenal-Mania alternate realities that spin out from time to time...

We're talking about spending up to £40m to get him - a player who on paper (and YouTube...) looks like he could do a brilliant job covering Partey or Tierney. But he doesn't play LB or midfield very much... and we don't really need a £40m CB... so what's going on here? Is this all just a fantasy, I'm not sure.
I'm with you. A-M can feel like the Matrix at times lol. What is certain is that Partey is central (literally and metaphorically) to everything we do and we mustn't gamble on his fitness. With one game a week and the best injury record in years, we were still undone by three injuries! I think we have to suck up the price at it's the market for PL clubs atm, but imagine if Lisandro had been here last season. We get the fee back in CL money alone. He's also a back up should things turn sour eith Saliba. Right now, I hop he'll be everything and more that I wanted Torreira to be.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
What makes Partey special, and why he makes us so much better, is he can receive the ball, turn one man, beat the next with a dribble, and beat the third with a pass—and do that multiple times in a game. Show me one highlight of this guy doing that. If anyone is expecting him to replace Partey they are going to be very, very disappointed.
I think the comp I saw somewhere was of Fabio doing what Partey does but we can't play him in place of Partey. I think Arteta will tinker and get White to bring Lisandro in to play. No idea but we need a Partey alternative for sure.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
You are such a nerd. Can never think for yourself. Anyone the club is linked with you suck them off and take any contrast view personally. No player can play 3 different positions like cb, lb and dm at high pl level. This ain’t FM so stop with the covering 3 positions. He hasn’t played in midfield once in the last 2 years
You make good points that kind of kill my hope but I wonder if Lisandro is like Mascherano lite. Some have mentioned this already and he wouldn't be the first player to change clubs and position.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He doesn't play LB or DM very much but cN play there. He has been playing CB.

What Arteta sees a player who he can put at LB that can turn into a LCB when we push our right back forward and a DM when we have possession high up the field. He wants positional rotation. Say we start like this:

-----Martinelli------Jesus-------Raphinha
----------------Saka--------------Ødegaard
-------------------------Partey
Martinez---Gabriel----White----Tomi
--------------------Ramsdale

Remember it's 5 up, 5 back. It doesn't matter how you do it. Those are the numbers he wants:

5 up

Saka------Martinelli----Jesus---------Raphinha
---------------------------------------Ødegaard
5 back

--------------Martinez------Partey
-------------Gabriel----White--Tomi

In the above he is a DM.

Say we play Tielemans as an 8 and push a rb forward. Someone like BNC.

--Saka-------------Jesus----------Raphinha
-------------Tielemans---Ødegaard
----------------------------Partey--------------------BNC
-----------Martinez---Gabriel---White

He can slot in as a LCB.

Say we push him up as a LB.

-----------Martinelli----Jesus----Saka
Martinez-----Tielemans----Ødegaard
--------------------------Partey
-------------Gabriel---White----Tomi

Tomi then becomes your cb.

Essentially his Swiss army knife nature allows you to commit an extra man forward. If Arteta got this at right back too, it would be the next level and Pep hasn't even managed to find two Cancelos.

Badger_Revenge

If we were ever to move to three at the back, I'd want this guy to be the third CB, because he can be the aggressive, more foreward one of the three, and he can ping balls on the counter attack. I just think adding him creates a lot of options for setup and adjustments.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Crazy thing it was less than 5 years ago that City having a £105m fullback pairing of Walker and Mendy felt relatively shocking. If we get Martinez our 4 centre backs alone would be worth 150m.

I fell a little out of love with football when Abrohamich first bought Chelsea and the billionaire trend began, but if there's one good thing to come out of it - its at least forced us into taking it up a gear with investment on the pitch. Martinez and Vieira could both be squad players next season worth £75 million!

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

You make good points that kind of kill my hope but I wonder if Lisandro is like Mascherano lite. Some have mentioned this already and he wouldn't be the first player to change clubs and position.
I think he has the characteristics to become a good DM. But that would mean he plays there consistently and get used to the position at this level. I just don’t think chopping and changing his position week in week out will do him any favours. He is coming to a new country/league and much higher level. He need consistency in one position to become solid

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think he has the characteristics to become a good DM. But that would mean he plays there consistently and get used to the position at this level. I just don’t think chopping and changing his position week in week out will do him any favours. He is coming to a new country/league and much higher level. He need consistency in one position to become solid
Spot on but I've got it in my head that he's here to play DM and fill in at LB. I remember Wenger wanting Kompany to join us as a midfielder. I think we're buying ballers who will have a main position but can fill in elsewhere better than last season's subs.

6gunner

I think the comp I saw somewhere was of Fabio doing what Partey does but we can't play him in place of Partey. I think Arteta will tinker and get White to bring Lisandro in to play. No idea but we need a Partey alternative for sure.

Against Europa League group stage competition Elneny can play there but until Sambi has a lot more experience our best Partey alternative in the PL will be a 4-2-3-1.

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
One thing really worries me is his height. He gives me Torreria vibe sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom