• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lisandro Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
In all honesty I would not lose any sleep if we miss out on Martinez. I know some of us see him as an inverted full back but I’m not sure Arteta sees him as that. There has been no inclination or credible source to suggest Martinez as a LB, and there’s been no serious offers for Tierney. The inverted LB thing feels like it came from the fans because we wanted to see how he fitted in the first XI.

I need that LCM man. Hand on heart I believe fixing our left side of midfield would do more wonders for our attack than any ball-playing CB could.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
We didn't get 4th because we lost both Tierney and Partey. We couldn't rotate them out as we didn't trust those below them.

So yes I want a player who can play 3 positions to a high level to maximise rotation, to keep our players fit and to also give us a different way of playing if we invert both fullbacks.

The Vieira signing is nonsense? Picking up one of the most creative young players in world football for a decent fee is nonsense?

How are we signing De Jong? I'm so confused. Your playing football manager
How are we signing De Jong?

By not wasting money on projects and backs ups? You improve the starting 11 and make players like Xhaka and Martinelli the back ups/competition.

We had Saliba, we signed White (who i do like btw, but still..)

We had Guendouzi, we signed Lokonga.

We had Leno, we signed Ramsdale.

Vieira 30m, Martinez 40m. Thats more than the fee Utd are paying for De Jong. He's said in the past he saw Arsenal as a club he'd like to join, called it the Overmars pathway. I think we could at least compete with Utd for his signature.

Our transfer strategy is a bit all over the place. I really like the look of Martinez, but he is best as a CB and then a DM. In CB we have Gabriel, White, Saliba all of a similar age. In DM we have Partey and have given Elneny a new contract.

The Vieria signing is nonsense because of the fee. Olise cost 8m last summer. Vieria is a huge gamble. Look at Renato Sanches, Trincao, Fabio Silva, Taveras going straight from Liga NOS to a big club, it didn't work out so well. Its nonsense because it seems to have blocked the signing of a player like Tielemans who was more needed. Just my opinion.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
has the guy spoken about where he wants to play? or just happy being a Milner type?

if Arsenal & United both in have to think where the managers sees him playing is huge

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What position is he primarily supposed to play at Arsenal?
The point is he can play multiple attacking positions. You need a squad where you can rotate players around. He can play the Ødegaard role or as a left 10. He can play right or left wing and he can play as a SS.

Look at Saka and his versatility. If we are chasing a game, we don't need to sub him off and go like for like. We can move him to right back or left back and basically instruct him to play as a Winger while bringing on an additional attacker. Can any Winger do that?

Martinez can literally shuffle around to CB or DM within a game state.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

The point is he can play multiple attacking positions. You need a squad where you can rotate players around. He can play the Ødegaard role or as a left 10. He can play right or left wing and he can play as a SS.

Look at Saka and his versatility. If we are chasing a game, we don't need to sub him off and go like for like. We can move him to right back or left back and basically instruct him to play as a Winger while bringing on an additional attacker. Can any Winger do that?

Martinez can literally shuffle around to CB or DM within a game state.

Yes but what will be his primary position?

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
In all honesty I would not lose any sleep if we miss out on Martinez. I know some of us see him as an inverted full back but I’m not sure Arteta sees him as that. There has been no inclination or credible source to suggest Martinez as a LB, and there’s been no serious offers for Tierney. The inverted LB thing feels like it came from the fans because we wanted to see how he fitted in the first XI.

I need that LCM man. Hand on heart I believe fixing our left side of midfield would do more wonders for our attack than any ball-playing CB could.
Surely an inverted full back needs to be very two footed? Martinez is very much a typical left footed player.

That kind of money for a central defender, who is supposed to be a backup(?) LB with his average pace and crossing?
If that's what we looking for at full back, then why not use Xhaka as a backup LB, and use that money to replace him in the CM position instead?

A backup midfielder ? Supposedly, we have no vacancies in the midfield, and that's why we're not in a hurry to clinch Tielemans, but we have a spot for Martinez?

Another CB? How many more do we need? Or maybe we going to use Saliba as target man in front?

But I've only seen him on youtube, and maybe I'm wrong and guy is new Alaba. The club surely knows better, they have a great team of scouts (Cagigao, McDermott, Clark etc.) and experience in spending wisely

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
How are we signing De Jong?

By not wasting money on projects and backs ups? You improve the starting 11 and make players like Xhaka and Martinelli the back ups/competition.

We had Saliba, we signed White (who i do like btw, but still..)

We had Guendouzi, we signed Lokonga.

We had Leno, we signed Ramsdale.

Vieira 30m, Martinez 40m. Thats more than the fee Utd are paying for De Jong. He's said in the past he saw Arsenal as a club he'd like to join, called it the Overmars pathway. I think we could at least compete with Utd for his signature.

Our transfer strategy is a bit all over the place. I really like the look of Martinez, but he is best as a CB and then a DM. In CB we have Gabriel, White, Saliba all of a similar age. In DM we have Partey and have given Elneny a new contract.

The Vieria signing is nonsense because of the fee. Olise cost 8m last summer. Vieria is a huge gamble. Look at Renato Sanches, Trincao, Fabio Silva, Taveras going straight from Liga NOS to a big club, it didn't work out so well. Its nonsense because it seems to have blocked the signing of a player like Tielemans who was more needed. Just my opinion.
Firstly, not wasting money on projects and back ups? Then citing Saliba as a reason to not buy White? Saliba is a project. White is Premier League established and proven.

Guendouzi was a character issue where he then also had issues with his loan spell in Germany. He's doing fine in his comfortable French environment at the moment strolling around Ligue 1. What happens when he moves again? Arsenal didn't get that wrong and Lokonga is a good player BTW. People forget how good he was next to Partey.

We signed Ramsdale for his character and the fact that he could pass the ball or would try to. Leno isn't a good enough passer.

Your basically siding with Neville in that you don't see what we are trying to do. Your also making judgements on Vieira when you haven't even seen him play in the league, yet De Jong will light it up?

Badger_Revenge

We're buying Martinez because he's a good player that opens up different ways of setting up the team. He also provide essential cover if needed, and competition/alternate for Gabriel.

You are guys are underestimating the effect that 5 subs will have on tactics during a match. If you want to compete with the big boys, use those 5 subs to do something besides simply replacing players having a bad day, or spelling tired players.

Plus, he's really really good. If he comes, I have a feeling Martinez will play some role in most matches. I give this one about a 75% chance of happening right now. Depends on Ajax, then on what Martinez wants. He might not like all these Brazilians in the squad!

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We getting because he offer us serious option for LB and DM considering both Tierney and Partey fitness issue this transfer is important i won't rule out if this deal completed he start many games

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He must be coming as a LB as there’s not a chance in hell this guy is lasting more than a game at CB in England. Looks smaller than Messi.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Firstly, not wasting money on projects and back ups? Then citing Saliba as a reason to not buy White? Saliba is a project. White is Premier League established and proven.

Guendouzi was a character issue where he then also had issues with his loan spell in Germany. He's doing fine in his comfortable French environment at the moment strolling around Ligue 1. What happens when he moves again? Arsenal didn't get that wrong and Lokonga is a good player BTW. People forget how good he was next to Partey.

We signed Ramsdale for his character and the fact that he could pass the ball or would try to. Leno isn't a good enough passer.

Your basically siding with Neville in that you don't see what we are trying to do. Your also making judgements on Vieira when you haven't even seen him play in the league, yet De Jong will light it up?
Of course De Jong will light it up. He's a top class footballer. And no, i don't really see what we are trying to do. If you are saying you want Tomiyasu RB, Lisandro LB, then which other club plays with such defensive fulls backs?

Assists last season

Trent - 12
Robertson - 11
Cancelo - 11
James - 9

Everytime Tomiyasu played, Saka had 2 or 3 men on him.

We've given Elneny a new contract, but let Bissouma leave for 25m.

We attack down the right through Ødegaard/Saka, swing balls into the back post, correct me if im wrong but doesn't that scream Richarlison? Instead we are letting him go to Sp**s aswell.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Too big a talent who plays in either Ødegaard (23) or Saka (20) position. I'm all for signing talent, but get our priority signings first, 30m is a lot for a talent. Where was this last summer when Olise was going for 8m!?
I saw your post earlier and I get what you mean about Vieira vs Tielemans as priority signings. Still think Tielemans is the no brainer addition to the squad. But Vieira / Martinez has a nice balance to it as well - one creative / attacking numbers machine & one ball winning deep passer.

I think you're maybe being a bit harsh on Vieira as well in calling him "raw" on YouTube. He's slight and inexperienced for sure, but his technical level is insane. Some of the assists he managed show incredible vision and skill, he doesn't seem to miscontrol often either from the U21 match comps I watched. Always a risk for players stepping up to the PL though.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I saw your post earlier and I get what you mean about Vieira vs Tielemans as priority signings. Still think Tielemans is the no brainer addition to the squad. But Vieira / Martinez has a nice balance to it as well - one creative / attacking numbers machine & one ball winning deep passer.

I think you're maybe being a bit harsh on Vieira as well in calling him "raw" on YouTube. He's slight and inexperienced for sure, but his technical level is insane. Some of the assists he managed show incredible vision and skill, he doesn't seem to miscontrol often either from the U21 match comps I watched. Always a risk for players stepping up to the PL though.
I appreciate i might be being harsh on him, but i also think people are getting carried away thinking he's ready now. He was in and out of the Porto team all season, didn't start a CL game, not capped by Portugal. I think its very likely we'll mostly see him the the EL group stages, so 30m isn't a smart use of resources imo. Its a fine signing if you are City or Liverpool and have your starting 11 sorted, we are still building, or at least, we are meant to be.

A nice balance in what sense? Because neither of them have a history of playing the LCM or '8' position most want an improvement on.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I also have a funny feeling about this transfer. Apparently highly regarded, but very small for CD. If he comes, Saliba or Gabriel will surely leave - or what? I think this transfer raises more questions than Answers. Spend the money on a CM, that’s where I would put my money.
I know it seems nuts but surely he's not coming here as a CB. He'll be either or both of a CDM or inverted LB unless Gabriel is injured.

TinFish

He must be coming as a LB as there’s not a chance in hell this guy is lasting more than a game at CB in England. Looks smaller than Messi.

The wee man always reminds me of this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom