• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lisandro Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
The biggest thing i liked about Martinez was his versatility.

But would i have liked him as our main left CB: No.
Would i have liked him our main left back? No.
Would i have liked him as our main CDM? No.

So we would pay 40m for a squad player, who can play some postions solid until good. If we can afford this "luxury" and don't miss out on our main targets, i'm fine with this.

But before the links to him i never thought "yeah, we definetely need another CB this summer". If Arteta wouldn't have a left foot fetish, we could be very good sorted at the CB position with White, Gabriel, Saliba and Holding. We could even play Tomi there.

A player like Zinchenko would make much more sense, because our midfield isn't that great and he is a class LB too if Tierney is injured again (while Martinez is just an okay left back).

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
I think we need a new knock. Our one clearly isn't having the desired effect on our targets..

I admit it, I got sucked in & genuinely believed that both Raph & this dude were gonna come, just a matter of agreeing a price. Fck sake, more fool me.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Embarassing this. Although Barca seem to have had the last laugh in the end, we got bullied by Chelsea for Raphinha, now seemingly are getting bullied by a shambles of a United for this guy.

Predictably Edu's comments the other day seem to have been hot air as usual.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Embarassing this. Although Barca seem to have had the last laugh in the end, we got bullied by Chelsea for Raphinha, now seemingly are getting bullied by a shambles of a United for this guy.

Not bullied just Ajax been shady.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member

Ten Hag as manager must be a big factor also.

Would Jesus have come here if he hadn't worked with Arteta? Who knows, but it must have played a big part..

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
**** me you are tiresome. Why do you support this club if you hate it so much? You think buying players and building a team is easy? This is not football manager and you have no clue what goes on behind the scenes. You and @yorch44 just bich and moan whatever happens.

I'd suggest you come around to the fact that the football landscape has changed and we're not at the top anymore. And unlikely to be in the forseeable future.

Yet, we have a young and (for me at least) quite exciting team that is capable of getting us CL football if things go a bit our way. I'm looking forwad to the season.
Suck it

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Not his biggest fan, but abit unfair, if Lisandro is holding out for Utd, and Raphina for Barcelona, what can he do? Other than wait and switch to plan B’s.
Just having a bit of fun and taking my anger out. But lets see if he and Arteta drew up proper plan B's (especially as Martinez for example is a very unique player)- and lets see how well they execute this.

The pressure is on now regarding the quality of the backups and if we even execute it correctly in signing them.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It's frustrating because I had a feeling it would be unlikely we would get both Raphinha and Martinez, as the deals were reliant on other big competitors not moving in for them. I think mentally I thought we had a 50-60% chance we get both, but I thought it was an 80% chance we at least got 1 of them. Missing out on both is definitely a blow for morale.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
a) you are mixing up your own points here. And the key issue isn't 'are Huesca better than Norwich' but are the lesser teams in each league more competitive against the stronger teams in each league, for which data is inherent in results etc, but also supported by resources. Villareal beating Arsenal in the EL is irrelevant to the question.
b) in the short period you refer to, while Auba was getting less chances, his chance conversion rate was poor, so its on him too. And while goalscoring is the number 1 for strikers, in the current football zeitgeist, top teams, or better teams in competitive leagues simply don't carry strikers who do nothing else. All the advanced (and indeed basic) stats show that bar goalscoring Auba has reverted to a player who brings absolutely nothing else to a team. There is simply no equivalent model of striker (you can do Fbref comparisons) playing regularly for any top or CL team in the other top leagues. His situation at Barca is unique because they have a team brilliant at possession and chance creation, but were relying on on-loan Luke de Jong to be their striker.
The points distribution in La Liga is very similar to the distribution in the Prem. There is no cliff face after the top few teams, and lower teams often get 30+ points. Wheres the evidence for the league being weaker from that standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom