• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Considering Transfer Targets: Summer 2022 šŸ›’

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 14,044
  • Views 963,563

If we only make one more signing, which would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Not really. I donā€™t mind any player except one time of player. Richardson, Zaha and Bruno falls into this. Absolute whingers who constantly throw their hands in the air and cry on pitch. Just ***** behaviour
I don't have Zaha in the same category as those, but it's a good point. He has certain whining attitude, but he is of course fouled often so you remember that face.

I'd hope a change in atmosphere for him and more success towards what he wanted from his career would ease those frustrations.

drippin

Exactly and this is way Zaha makes so much sense, can rotate, play as striker, strong and good dribbler, adds experience and doesn't block our young players and of course, cheap. Definitely would take the shot... I mean he can't be worse than Willian.
It's weird there haven't been rumours about him. I guess the club won't spend money to older players anymore. Eventhough it would be weird because we need some experience, or even age. They do try to buy experienced young players.

Nothing can be worse than Willian was here. One of the weirdest things I have ever seen.

Zaha has performed well for years in EPL in a not so good team, so I can't see him suddenly dropping level if he gets his dream move.

He was way too expensive likely when we bought Pepe, who we could pay in installments. Different level transfer fees all things concerned, even wages.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

:lol:

Youā€™ve been against every player linked this window besides that brother from France.

Anyways, if we signed any of those players and they did that ****housery for us then I doubt there would be any complaints. I remember Alexis throwing a hissy fit many times but the fans were loving his PASHUN and they said he ā€œcaredā€.
I have been for Jesus. I always said we needed 2 strikers and 2cms and a left back this window. I wanted bissouma. But we need physical middle of the park. El neny and xhaka have none of that and lokonga hasnā€™t worked out. I desperately want an experienced DM. But I take this kid if the other option is keeping same old and watch xhaka, el neny and Ƙdegaard with zero legs in midfield being run ragged

drippin

Imagine if we go into the season with Jesus-Nketiah-Balogun as strikers.

Saka-Martinelli-ESR-Vieira
-Marquinhos as wingers.

Also let's say Pepe, who Arteta won't use at all for some weird reason, so it doesn't matter. Marquinhos likely on loan?

If I count the average age of those players without Pepe and Marquinhos, the average real age of 7 strikers or wingers is about 22 years old.

Pretty sure this would be unprecedented in football history to have this young attackers in EPL as a top 6 club?

Can people see that the attack lacks something, and it would not hurt if it was an experienced player with consistent performances for some years?

What if Jesus gets injured?

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

-Marquinhos as wingers.

Also let's say Pepe, who Arteta won't use at all for some weird reason, so it doesn't matter. Marquinhos likely on loan?

If I count the average age of those players without Pepe and Marquinhos, the average real age of 7 strikers or wingers is about 22 years old.

Pretty sure this would be unprecedented in football history to have this young attackers in EPL as a top 6 club?

Can people see that the attack lacks something, and it would not hurt if it was an experienced player with consistent performances for some years?
Perfect excuse to buy some time though. We are so young and building for the future

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant

-Marquinhos as wingers.

Certainly wouldn't put Saka in the young category anymore, maybe Martinelli aswell. In age, they are young, but in experience they are ready. Saka has around 80-90 starts in the PL now.

If Jesus gets injured, Nketiah comes in, thats why we've offered him a new contract isn't it? He proved enough at the end of the season to suggest he's ready for PL football.

I get what you're saying, but there is no point in buying for the sake of it, the player has to be better than Martinelli and not many wingers are standing out there.

If we could get a top quality LB and CM though, that'll make a big difference to how this team attacks.

drippin

Certainly wouldn't put Saka in the young category anymore, maybe Martinelli aswell. In age, they are young, but in experience they are ready. Saka has around 80-90 starts in the PL now.

If Jesus gets injured, Nketiah comes in, thats why we've offered him a new contract isn't it? He proved enough at the end of the season to suggest he's ready for PL football.

I get what you're saying, but there is no point in buying for the sake of it, the player has to be better than Martinelli and not many wingers are standing out there.

If we could get a top quality LB and CM though, that'll make a big difference to how this team attacks.
Yeah, but age is age. That confidence and knowledge. It should not be forgotten totally.

There is still that uncertainty over Nketiah, even Martinelli and ESR, with their consistency and keeping the level up.

Balogun is an even bigger mystery if we have to depend on him due to injuries. This is why I would want a winger who is good at both sides, who could be the ultimate backup for this striker issue. Even Jesus hasn't been a striker always and has had goal droughts.

That's why they targeted Raphinha. But really, if we can't get him, I would take Zaha for cheap. The money saved would help with LB and CM. Dream would be of course Gnabry but I really can't see him ever choosing a non-UCL club.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Sadly, a huge portion of the fan base doesn't remember or has had its standards eroded just the way the Kroenkes hoped for.
Or perhaps some of us have been fans long enough to not have a Man Utd-esque sense of entitlement. Arsenal's history has always been periods of greatness split by long barren spells of misfortune or mismanagement. The difference is of late there are multiple clubs who just buy everything.

Us longer standing fans can also recognise a positive direction of travel after a fallow period.

OnlyOne

ā€˜Donkeys donā€™t have a peak, they remain uselessā€™
Trusted ā­

Ligue 1 Football GIF by Stade Rennais F.C.

TinFish

-Marquinhos as wingers.

We are a college offering B-techs. Some of the youth will fail and drop out (Pepe). The star performers will get offered real jobs at real companies elsewhere in due time.

Legend14

Established Member
I have been for Jesus. I always said we needed 2 strikers and 2cms and a left back this window. I wanted bissouma. But we need physical middle of the park. El neny and xhaka have none of that and lokonga hasnā€™t worked out. I desperately want an experienced DM. But I take this kid if the other option is keeping same old and watch xhaka, el neny and Ƙdegaard with zero legs in midfield being run ragged
100%. If we do this properly, then it will be a good window. Here is where we struggled last season.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
It's weird there haven't been rumours about him. I guess the club won't spend money to older players anymore. Eventhough it would be weird because we need some experience, or even age. They do try to buy experienced young players.

Nothing can be worse than Willian was here. One of the weirdest things I have ever seen.

Zaha has performed well for years in EPL in a not so good team, so I can't see him suddenly dropping level if he gets his dream move.

He was way too expensive likely when we bought Pepe, who we could pay in installments. Different level transfer fees all things concerned, even wages.
Sometimes I don't see common sense in this club. They went from buying old and finished players to super young players. Don't they know the middle point? Sometimes you add a little more of experience and is ok if you mix it. I am sure Zaha would give 110% for this an even take not high wages.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Or perhaps some of us have been fans long enough to not have a Man Utd-esque sense of entitlement. Arsenal's history has always been periods of greatness split by long barren spells of misfortune or mismanagement. The difference is of late there are multiple clubs who just buy everything.

Us longer standing fans can also recognise a positive direction of travel after a fallow period.
It's different when the club has upped its status with a world class stadium and since then not even threatening to win another league title. That's 16 years and counting.

It's very different to previous barren periods because all the foundations were there for us 10-15 years ago to really push on ahead of the likes of Liverpool, City and Tottenham.

Instead we lost sight of everything and let those clubs into the race.

We only have ourselves to blame as a club. No ambition since that Emirates move.

I'm going to need more proof than 5th, 8th, 8th, 5th that were on the right trajectory, playing horse **** football since 2016.

MrAjax

Genuinly interested why no more PL clubs are interested in Cody Gakpo.... Is this simply because he doesn't play for Ajax?

lomekian

Essays are my thing
It's different when the club has upped its status with a world class stadium and since then not even threatening to win another league title. That's 16 years and counting.

It's very different to previous barren periods because all the foundations were there for us 10-15 years ago to really push on ahead of the likes of Liverpool, City and Tottenham.

Instead we lost sight of everything and let those clubs into the race.

We only have ourselves to blame as a club. No ambition since that Emirates move.

I'm going to need more proof than 5th, 8th, 8th, 5th that were on the right trajectory, playing horse **** football since 2016.
Yes we upped our status - and I totally agree the personal greed and refusal to invest by the previous board (Fizman aside) when Wenger was at the peak of his powers was a massive waste and a tragedy for the club. Their parsimony cost us a whole swathe of elite players that Wenger would have been able to recruit at the time had there not been such a need to balance the books. Cristiano Ronaldo obviously being the most prominent, but pretty much who's who of European football over the last 20 years - sure some would have chosen to go elsewhere, but we didn't even have the option.

But, and its a big but, Abramovich changed everything, as did the huge increase in TV money, then the oil barons. We went from short term pain to secure long term financial superiority to short-term pain for no benefit whatsoever. Completely lost our momentum, dismantled our best ever team and parted with our best players 2005-2013 for reasons that went from vital to irrelevant. It broke the club's confidence to be honest. Then when the purse strings were finally loosened, Wenger had lost his competitive advantage in terms of scouting and tactics, and City had upped the financial ante (as had PSG and others).

My point is not that we are great now. My point is that a combination of mismanagement and the change of landscape has lead to a steady decline over a number of years - and that while the specifics are different, that has been the case before in Arsenal's history. Remember we were the 'Bank of England Club' before the second world war, and were probably the best team in Europe. Then after we war we had a couple more great seasons before an almost 20 year wasteland. Then after the double we pissed away a very advantageous position again through mismanagement and a lack of serious investment compared to rivals, and took another 18 years to even be in a title challenge. The big difference now is there are 3 (soon to be 4) clubs that have either unlimited or just vast resources that we simply can't compete with year on year, despite the odd splurge, and the other two at a similar resource level are both having their best periods in 2 decades or more.

My positivity is that the trajectory has been downwards for the last 6 years and this season is the first step forwards since maybe 2014/15. And for the first time in a long time there appears to be some sort of plan in terms of playstyle and recruitment, after the absolute **** show strategically 2016-2021

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I genuinely wish there was no "welcome to Arsenal" videos needed, when signing players now.

Getting the best hits on social media, has kinda ruined football...the time the club takes to announce deals, we have been working on for weeks, is a ****ing joke.

It just ruins all the excitement, and makes you kinda annoyed.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Yes we upped our status - and I totally agree the personal greed and refusal to invest by the previous board (Fizman aside) when Wenger was at the peak of his powers was a massive waste and a tragedy for the club. Their parsimony cost us a whole swathe of elite players that Wenger would have been able to recruit at the time had there not been such a need to balance the books. Cristiano Ronaldo obviously being the most prominent, but pretty much who's who of European football over the last 20 years - sure some would have chosen to go elsewhere, but we didn't even have the option.

But, and its a big but, Abramovich changed everything, as did the huge increase in TV money, then the oil barons. We went from short term pain to secure long term financial superiority to short-term pain for no benefit whatsoever. Completely lost our momentum, dismantled our best ever team and parted with our best players 2005-2013 for reasons that went from vital to irrelevant. It broke the club's confidence to be honest. Then when the purse strings were finally loosened, Wenger had lost his competitive advantage in terms of scouting and tactics, and City had upped the financial ante (as had PSG and others).

My point is not that we are great now. My point is that a combination of mismanagement and the change of landscape has lead to a steady decline over a number of years - and that while the specifics are different, that has been the case before in Arsenal's history. Remember we were the 'Bank of England Club' before the second world war, and were probably the best team in Europe. Then after we war we had a couple more great seasons before an almost 20 year wasteland. Then after the double we pissed away a very advantageous position again through mismanagement and a lack of serious investment compared to rivals, and took another 18 years to even be in a title challenge. The big difference now is there are 3 (soon to be 4) clubs that have either unlimited or just vast resources that we simply can't compete with year on year, despite the odd splurge, and the other two at a similar resource level are both having their best periods in 2 decades or more.

My positivity is that the trajectory has been downwards for the last 6 years and this season is the first step forwards since maybe 2014/15. And for the first time in a long time there appears to be some sort of plan in terms of playstyle and recruitment, after the absolute **** show strategically 2016-2021
Good post. What a **** show this club has been. So many opportunities and now it's a real mountain to climb.

I agree we finally have a semblance of a plan, I'm just pissed that we already seem to have missed out on targets and I'm worried the club will bank on the three young guys as our primary attackers, again.

Also, no sign of Xhaka ****ing off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom