• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Benjamin The White šŸ“

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

Baffled by people saying we need a RB, Ben White and Tomi are quality cover. White did well against a quality opponent today.

With White we have depth at RB, good competition for CB, enables us to switch to a very good back 3 if we want but man still want to try and convince me he was a wasteful signing. :facepalm:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I thought he was excellent defensively against one of the trickiest wingers in the league. If he performs like this against Zaha then he's easily good enough to start as your primary RB if needed, although I think your overall play would benefit from pairing him with Saliba and playing Tomiyasu at RB, at least against inferior opposition.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Got skinned a few times but stood up well to Zaha. He was up for the duel, you know they were both chatting **** to each other all game. Feel Cedric would've been absolutely dusted tonight. Good performance from Ben.

Feel White tonight did as well, as some of Tomi's best performances last season.

He was quality, quietest I have seen Zaha against us in a while...love how how of a **** Ben is :lol:

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Had two very sloppy passes in the first half that played us into danger but apart from that White was quality (had Zaha in his pocket). So much more suited to RB than CB.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
He did relatively well but at the cost of Saka having to drop very deep. To be fair, ASM had Tomi on skates last season too. It would be nice if we had a more traditional, lightning quick RB to deal with these sorts of threats but at present that's a luxury for us. He's definitely a better RB than CB though and he'll be adequate against the majority of wide players we encounter. Really only a handful of guys in the league out wide that he'll really struggle against.

Ac3knight

Feel White tonight did as well, as some of Tomi's best performances last season.

He was quality, quietest I have seen Zaha against us in a while...love how how of a **** Ben is :lol:

Were we watching a different match? Zaha was being left wide open to run riot on numerous occassions in the 2nd half.

Everytime Palace got the ball, they just sprayed it right (where Zinchenko's lack of pace was exposed) or left to Zaha.

Believe Tomi would've done much better at RB had he been fit to play.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger šŸ™
Trusted ā­

White had a stinker. But to be fair heā€™s not really a full back. He gave the ball away twice early on in dangerous positions and Zaha got in behind him numerous times. Saka had to come back to help him a lot in the second half which disrupted our attack and sidelined Jesus as a more of a lone striker.

People saying he had a great game have lost the plot. :lol:

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
White had a stinker. But to be fair heā€™s not really a full back. He gave the ball away twice early on in dangerous positions and Zaha got in behind him numerous times. Saka had to come back to help him a lot in the second half which disrupted our attack and sidelined Jesus as a more of a lone striker.

Fully agree, he wasn't comfortable with his performance there at all. Did a job yes, but looked very uneasy to me.

But as you say he isnt a right back naturally and our attacking shape leaves a lot of space around him, so when the ball is turned over he is immediately under pressure, as is Zinchenko. Arteta does need to address this weakness in our setup because teams will be looking to target us this way.

One thing's for sure though, White has lost his RCB position to Saliba. Either he comes in for Gabriel or moves to the bench as soon as Tomi is back.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ā­

Player:Rice

Zaha is a tough opponent for really good RB's. He's going to skin you every now and then or get in behind, it is what it is. He's destroyed our RB's on multiple occasions in recent seasons. White more than held his own last night in a position he's rarely played for us.

He may not be as good as Tomi but he's a massive upgrade on Cedric as back up RB.

D

Deleted member 102404

Had two very sloppy passes in the first half that played us into danger but apart from that White was quality (had Zaha in his pocket). So much more suited to RB than CB.
I thought White was great last night. Zaha cut a frustrated figure.
Disagree on CB though. He was better than Gabriel last year and if Gabriel doesnā€™t improve on last nights performance he might find himself on the bench when Tomi is fit.
Saliba was superb and after last night the position is his to protect. He did so well I think he earned himself wriggle room - ie he will keep his place even if he has a short run of so so games

D

Deleted member 102404

Fully agree, he wasn't comfortable with his performance there at all. Did a job yes, but looked very uneasy to me.

But as you say he isnt a right back naturally and our attacking shape leaves a lot of space around him, so when the ball is turned over he is immediately under pressure, as is Zinchenko. Arteta does need to address this weakness in our setup because teams will be looking to target us this way.

One thing's for sure though, White has lost his RCB position to Saliba. Either he comes in for Gabriel or moves to the bench as soon as Tomi is back.
White didnā€™t lose his position to Saliba as much as Saliba won it. Preseason and last night he was so good itā€™s impossible not to play him.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy šŸ†
Trusted ā­
The thing white did well yesterday is he kept close to Zaha until he got yellow card after that Zaha got bit of space.

Overall I'm happy if he can manage to limit Zaha danger he can limit anyone else as RB.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I thought White was great last night. Zaha cut a frustrated figure.
Disagree on CB though. He was better than Gabriel last year and if Gabriel doesnā€™t improve on last nights performance he might find himself on the bench when Tomi is fit.
Saliba was superb and after last night the position is his to protect. He did so well I think he earned himself wriggle room - ie he will keep his place even if he has a short run of so so games

Disagree, think Gabriel was good last season and much better of the two out of him White last year. I thought White was very poor in the first and final third of last season but was good in the second third of season.

I've said for while I believe White is far more suited at RB or CM than cb (he doesn't have positional awareness for a CB) and he is showig this now with his RB form. Tomi will have some competition from White for the spot.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Trusted ā­

Zaha is a tough opponent for really good RB's. He's going to skin you every now and then or get in behind, it is what it is. He's destroyed our RB's on multiple occasions in recent seasons. White more than held his own last night in a position he's rarely played for us.

He may not be as good as Tomi but he's a massive upgrade on Cedric as back up RB.
You donā€™t pay Ā£50m for back up defenders though.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ā­

Player:Rice
You donā€™t pay Ā£50m for back up defenders though.

His fee has nothing to do with him having a good game or not, which he largely did.

Would you have preferred seeing Zaha rip Cedric apart....again?

You're just looking for any angle to try and bash the manager after a decent win :lol:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ā­

Some bizarre takes Iā€™m seeing about White.

Liverpool rotate Konate/Matip/Gomez next to VVD. Gomez fills in at RB as well.

City rotate Stones/Dias/Laporte and Ake who also fills in at LB.

White/Saliba/Gabriel is the type of quality you need these days - weā€™re still arguably a CB short considering Holding isnā€™t at the required level.

Makingtrax

Trusted ā­

His fee has nothing to do with him having a good game or not, which he largely did.

Did he help the attack by overlapping occasionally, like good FBs do? Nope.
Did he give the ball away in defensive positions? Yep, 3 times at least.
Did their winger get past him. Yes, multiple times.
Did our winger have to come back and help cover? Yes, most of the second half.

If anyoneā€™s got an Arteta agenda on display here, itā€™s try to spin that into a ā€˜good gameā€™. He may settle down in that role, I know heā€™s not used to it and he had some spells in the game that werenā€™t too bad. But overall that wasnā€™t a good game. Fortunately Saliba was very assured next to him.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989

Latest posts

Top Bottom