• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey: Body Falling Apartey

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'm not 100% sure what happened though, from the brief reading I've done apparently we didn't have enough money
It's why the White signing still rankles me. I know it's a dead horse but that 50m could have bought a Partey replacement/backup.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
It's why the White signing still rankles me. I know it's a dead horse but that 50m could have bought a Partey replacement/backup.

White was a needed signing mate. We need 4 quality center backs if we want to be an elite side, and White contributes to that, along with Gabriel and Saliba.

If you want to question the lack of rotation for Partey, you could look at signings like Lokonga or re-signing Elneny, instead of bringing in ready made rotation/competition.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

That’s why I think the ideal would be to find a premium quality left 8 who can cover at 6. Then we could accommodate two players with enough quality to play 6.

Someone like De Jong but obviously de jong’s not gonna happen.
I’m still confused about the plan for Fabio Vieira, as this is what I thought we’d be going after.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
I’m still confused about the plan for Fabio Vieira, as this is what I thought we’d be going after.
Vieira is patently not covering at 6, maybe left 8 is the plan for him, I assumed his main job was cover and competition for øde, maybe it's a little of all these things.

Pop Tart

Established Member
make or break season for him, he has been underwhelming in his time here. his best period was after the afcon. should not take a season and half for him to put a string of good performances together. He plays too nervous and a wreck most of the time despite his qualities.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Vieira is patently not covering at 6, maybe left 8 is the plan for him, I assumed his main job was cover and competition for øde, maybe it's a little of all these things.
Hence my confusion.

Maybe we need to shift our mindset from individuals and shirt numbers/positions to zones and combinations.

Example: Zinchenko and Tierney may both be left backs but Zinchenko plays more on the inside as a midfielder and Tierney plays on the outside as a winger.

With Zinchenko, there’s less dependency on Partey as a “6”, but I still feel we’re lacking someone with presence and assurance there.

Last edited:

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
Saliba should've been there as well though. I thought Ødegaard was quite poor otherwise so I'm not dying on this hill, but I don't think he was bad off the ball. He worked his socks off.
@DJ_Markstar you both are right as in the space Saliba left open but Ødegaard getting caught out like that is worse imo.

His workrate is immense though like you mentioned

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
You guys want a new 6?

Hear me out.

TBF, Iwobi was a lot better in that role than I expected. One of Everton's best players on the day.

That said, maybe sentimentality is blending me, so it's not like I trust myself here.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

White was a needed signing mate. We need 4 quality center backs if we want to be an elite side, and White contributes to that, along with Gabriel and Saliba.

If you want to question the lack of rotation for Partey, you could look at signings like Lokonga or re-signing Elneny, instead of bringing in ready made rotation/competition.
You could argue we needed a replacement for Partey more than we needed cover in the CB position.

We saw how our season derailed immediately Partey went down. Like I said, it's dead horse. What's done is done.

We woud have needed that 50-60m at least to get a Partey replacement/backup that is close to his level.

Last edited:

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Hence my confusion.

Maybe we need to shift our mindset from individuals and shirt numbers/positions to zones and combinations.

Example: Zinchenko and Tierney may both be left backs but Zinchenko plays more on the inside as a midfielder and Tierney plays on the outside as a winger.

With Zinchenko, there’s less dependency on Partey as a “6”, but I still feel we’re lacking someone with presence and assurance there.
We have been thinking in terms of zones no? All of our signings play in multiple positions.

Combinations can cover the duties we need carrying out in many cases but I’m not sure having an fb like Zinchenko playing changes what we need in that position very much-they basically need to be calm, technical, intelligent and defensively astute. If we play 4-3-3 I don’t think there’s a combination that is going to alleviate the responsibilities of the 6 enough to change what we need tbh.

Gunner D

Coronavirus Truther; ex. Gunner boy dd

Honestly I don’t think he was. Not for 50m anyway. Could have even kept Mavrapanos as a CB option and Tomiyasu can also play there.

We’d be in a much better position if we bought in someone like Bruno Guimaries last season instead of Ben White.

Agree with you on your last point though. Lokonga and Elneny take up vital positions in our squad. Lokonga looks like a pointless signing so far and we all know how average Elneny is.

bergholt

That’s if he doesn’t feature anymore.

He needs to be replaced with someone more consistent in performance and fitness firstly. Then phased out once options are available to take his place in the squad.

I don’t think “replaced” means what you think it means

Latest posts

Top Bottom