• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yeremy Pino

Which winger would you prefer?

• Total voters

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He is not a winger, but can play there. We need four "AMF's" to have two good players for each position.

Not very difficult to understand.
It actually is. Well for me anyway

1. Arteta generally sticks with the same core XI unless there's a crisis or a cup game v lower league side
2. Never in all my years of watching football have I seen a squad with two good players for every position
3. We have had a seismic issue at the base of midfield in terms of lack of composure and quality for about 8 seasons - the signing of another AMF when you have players like Pepe completely unused remains perplexing to me

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

1. Arteta generally sticks with the same core XI unless there's a crisis or a cup game v lower league side
2. Never in all my years of watching football have I seen a squad with two good players for every position
3. We have had a seismic issue at the base of midfield in terms of lack of composure and quality for about 8 seasons - the signing of another AMF when you have players like Pepe completely unused remains perplexing to me
1. Arteta doesn't stick with the same XI, he did last year when we didn't have European football, and didn't have proper quality depth. Last season was ruined especially because of no proper quality depth and injury-prone starting players.

2. This is the aim of Pep, and he has won a lot of things with good squads. This year we have European football.

3. There is likely currently some issue with Pepe and Arteta and/or Pepe hasn't performed well enough when he came on last season. Pepe isn't an AMF.

Current tactic has two "AMF's" which are currently Ødegaard, Xhaka, Vieira and Sambi/ESR. Ødegaard needs some rest just like Saka compared to last season, and Xhaka isn't the best for this role. Sambi and ESR are currently not either, Xhaka is better for it. So it's obvious we need one more like Tielemans for cheap even after Vieira. (Not counting Zinchenko as Tierney is injury-prone so he will very likely play mostly LB.)

TornadoTed

Established Member

This is one of the things I am intrigued by entering this season, we will get to see where Mikel really stands on squad rotation.

Has he not rotated in the past because he likes to keep the same XI where possible or has it been down to not having enough players in the squad that he trusted?

drippin

This is one of the things I am intrigued by entering this season, we will get to see where Mikel really stands on squad rotation.

Has he not rotated in the past because he likes to keep the same XI where possible or has it been down to not having enough players in the squad that he trusted?
Pretty sure people complained him rotating too much when we had European football, and last season they started saying he doesn't rotate when we didn't have European football.

But to me it's obvious he thinks we don't have enough quality players he can trust. So now that we have money, that issue will be addressed. And I really do they address the midfield especially.

D

Deleted member 102404

Pepe had a pretty good first season in the Prem and at the end helped give Arteta a good finish and an FA Cup. In fact he was excellent in that FA Cup final.

Then Arteta bought Willian and Pepe was dropped immediately. After that he‘s never really had a decent run in the side. @Trilly’s point is sound.
I thought Pepe had a poor start. Looked all at sea in the PL. I remember thinking how much better Saka looked as a kid than he did as a major signing.
Then in his second season he was poor all season with very little creativity but ended it very well.
That’s why he started last season, but fell away again, which is why he was dropped.
He’s just never shown enough and it’s not because he hasn’t had game time.
I guess he divides opinion, but right now not good enough to be a starter imo.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Pretty sure people complained him rotating too much when we had European football, and last season they started saying he doesn't rotate when we didn't have European football.

But to me it's obvious he thinks we don't have enough quality players he can trust. So now that we have money, that issue will be addressed. And I really do they address the midfield especially.

I wasn’t one of them.

He doesn’t even trust some of his own signings. Mari? Sambi? Tavares? and what on earth happened with Runarsson? I find it strange that these aren’t ever questioned.

I feel it’s about building continuity and a reliance on interdependent relationships on the pitch for our positional rotation style to be effective.

My (maybe harsh) take is I think he gives up on certain players that don’t fit his very precise style too quickly and we are paying the price with some hefty write offs while paying premiums for players that him and Edu know personally.

I’m just making an observation. It doesn’t feel like a very sustainable model to me.

drippin

I wasn’t one of them.

He doesn’t even trust some of his own signings. Mari? Sambi? Tavares? and what on earth happened with Runarsson? I find it strange that these aren’t ever questioned.

I feel it’s about building continuity and a reliance on interdependent relationships on the pitch for our positional rotation style to be effective.

My (maybe harsh) take is I think he gives up on certain players that don’t fit his style too quickly and we are paying the price with some hefty write offs while paying premiums for players that him and Edu know personally.

I’m just making an observation. It doesn’t feel like a very sustainable model to me.
Mari, Runarsson and Tavares were emergency backup buys. Not that difficult to understand, but for many on AM it is like rocket science.

Mari cost 8 million euros (in January), Runarsson 2 million euros and Tavares 8 million euros (they didn't include an option/obligation on Tavares, so he might not be totally gone yet, but in any case we will likely make a profit with him.)

Sambi had his first year in EPL (cost 18 million euros, also bought because we didn't have funds for a ready-made player with so many holes in the squad), pretty sure he hasn't been written off by anyone else than some AM posters.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Mari, Runarsson and Tavares were emergency backup buys. Not that difficult to understand.

Mari cost 8 million euros, Runarsson 2 million euros and Tavares 8 million euros (they didn't include an option/obligation on Tavares, so he might not be totally gone yet, but in any case we will likely make a profit with him.)

Sambi had his first year in EPL (cost 18 million euros, also bought because we didn't have funds for a ready-made player with so many holes in the squad), pretty sure he hasn't been written off by anyone else than some AM posters.
I see you like this one.

It's less about money, more about value for money. Each of these transactions is an opportunity cost.

I gave you a few names - but we've also recruited the likes of David Luiz, Dani Ceballos, Willian, Cedric under this current regime while systematically selling players at distressed sums and barely giving our best U23s a kick. We've had a net spend of £440m over the past 5 seasons, which is by some distance, the most in the PL.

Hey, all I'm asking is how long can this game of football manager continue?

Let's not be naive and think this is free money - it's been seen previously when we laid off club staff that our owners will act quickly to recoup losses when they feel the need to.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The only agenda at play Trilly is the one where Pepe is somehow being suppressed from greatness by our manager.
Hear it over and over and it’s boring.
The only thing that’s boring is your inability to read. I said Pepe hasn’t worked here because he and/or the club haven’t been able to apply his talent consistently.

I literally didn’t even mention Arteta. :lol:

You’re a poor poster, poor comprehension, blinded by agendas (yet go ahead accusing everyone else of having one) and the need to defend Arteta from criticisms that literally only exist in your head. Learn to read

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

The only thing that’s boring is your inability to read. I said Pepe hasn’t worked here because he and/or the club haven’t been able to apply his talent consistently.

I literally didn’t even mention Arteta. :lol:

You’re a poor poster, poor comprehension, blinded by agendas and the need to defend Arteta from slights that literally only exist in your head. Learn to read

Thoughts on me as a poster, boss?

drippin

I see you like this one.

It's less about money, more about value for money. Each of these transactions is an opportunity cost.

I gave you a few names - but we've also recruited the likes of David Luiz, Dani Ceballos, Willian, Cedric under this current regime while systematically selling players at distressed sums and barely giving our best U23s a kick. We've had a net spend of £440m over the past 5 seasons, which is by some distance, the most in the PL.

Hey, all I'm asking is how long can this game of football manager continue?

Let's not be naive and think this is free money - it's been seen previously when we laid off club staff that our owners will act quickly to recoup losses when they feel the need to.
Yeah, I like it because I have said these things on AM countless times, but these things keep on surfacing eventhough it's very simple.

All those players were acquired because we had humongous wages for an UEL team, and FFP restricted us from buying better players who would cost more money. Also the management wanted more instant success after missing UCL for so long, and later switched tactics after it didn't succeed.

Currently it seems they rather buy soon 20 year old Pino than soon 30 year old Zaha, eventhough we would need experience and instant known quality. It's exactly because of what you say, and in this case I'm not so sure it's the best choice. There should be a balance, not only looking at profit.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
For the fee been quoted i wouldn't mind taking risk he top talent even tho i really wanted us to have experience there. But looking at winger market I'm not surprised there is no top RW apart from Raphinha who left to barca and diaby who expensive and staying.

Most good wingers available are LW. I wouldn't be surprised we moved for Zaha if he was comfertable as RW like he is as LW.

drippin

If we take into account that Pino likely doesn't demand as big wages as EPL proven Neto, the difference between these two monetarily is very likely double.

That would be almost like (not quite if overall wages are considered) getting Tielemans & Douglas Luiz (or someone else) in addition to Pino, vs only Neto. I know which I would choose.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
If we take into account that Pino likely doesn't demand as big wages as EPL proven Neto, the difference between these two monetarily is very likely double.

That would be almost like (not quite) getting Tielemans & Douglas Luiz in addition to Pino, vs only Neto. I know which I would choose.

We would still be giving him a substacial wage bump, specially if Liverpool's interest ends up as genuine.

Personally don't see the point going with another project at wide forward. Either get someone to bench Martininelli/ESR or hedge your bets on them.

The last thing this team needs is another 19-21 year old in attack and it's not like Pino is a generational talent, at least so far into his career.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Pepe had a pretty good first season in the Prem and at the end helped give Arteta a good finish and an FA Cup. In fact he was excellent in that FA Cup final.

Then Arteta bought Willian and Pepe was dropped immediately. After that he‘s never really had a decent run in the side. @Trilly’s point is sound.
sure, Pepe's inconsistency and frustrating soft football are because of Arteta.
The club prioritizing a player that was nurtured here since he was 7 and looks like England's biggest talent since Rooney is on Arteta too.
Arteta Out, bring back my Arsenal.

drippin

We would still be giving him a substacial wage bump, specially if Liverpool's interest ends up as genuine.

Personally don't see the point going with another project at wide forward. Either get someone to bench Martininelli/ESR or hedge your bets on them.

The last thing this team needs is another 19-21 year old in attack and it's not like Pino is a generational talent, at least so far into his career.
Of course he would get a wage bump, but I compared it to Neto who is in an EPL team and older. I agree mostly, but Neto is way too expensive. Gakpo is LW, while we need someone who can rest/rotate Saka mainly.

Diaby seems to want to stay for another year with UCL, and is pretty expensive too.

Pino wouldn't cause problems to the squad, as then there would be four young wingers in Saka, Martinelli, ESR and Pino who would play according to who is performing the best.

In this sense it would be most important just to get a player who is happy to compete and gives quality depth as Pepe isn't trusted, and Saka is clearly a starter for us compared to the others so his backup doesn't have to be the best.

(Zaha would more likely block positions for youngsters similar to Willian, but a lot better, and like I have said many times, I would still likely go for Zaha if he cost like max. 25 million. But the club seems to think the most about resale value and building a squad that can be together for years possibly. Zaha would also mean huge wages).

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football

This is why I think there is a part of the story that we really don't know, especially if we are going for such a young player like Pino.
Either:
1- The club is not so sure about ESR fitness and they are trying to get a player that can give us more minutes
2- Saka is not renewing, very unlikely.
3- Planning ahead and thinking of Pino as a versatile player that can give us minutes in midfield.
4_ Arteta thinking of certain games where we are going to need Saka to be more involved in defense and we will need still someone that can hurt oppositions towards the left side of the field.

very intriguing I really thought that even with Pepe living we were not going to be in for a winger. I think the more likely situation is ESR having fitness issues and the club thinking long-term.

Latest posts

Top Bottom