• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Benjamin The White šŸ“

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Why is the most sensible poster on here a šŸ”Ø?
Why do you prefer the community here or are you on every other clubs forum?

Arsenal kind of became my "2nd team" back in the late 2000s, mainly due to so many games being broadcast here (Denmark) as Bendtner was hyped to the moon. Stuck around because I find Arsenal fascinating to follow, partly because you tend to do things differently and partly because there's a big online presence for Arsenal discourse. Stuff like the Arseblog podcast as an example is a top tier football podcast.

I won't put on some facade and say I'm like genuinely emotionally invested in Arsenal, but I do tend to cheer you on against any club not named West Ham. I don't really post anywhere else when it comes to footy either.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Ɩzil, come assist me please!
If his job was to nullify Zaha threat, then that didnt work. Evertime Zaha had the ball...he looked a threat. Ben White competed to best of his abilities, but certainly never pocketed him.
Physically, he would never be able to keep Zaha silent.

I wonder how would Tomiyasu would do though as he is a giant.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I have no idea what game people watched if they thought he was terrible against Crystal Palace.

Very poor football IQ or just a clear agenda.
He made maybe two bad passes in the first game of the season. Otherwise he was good against Zaha, but yeah, must have been terrible overall because his passing wasn't as sharp yet.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Arsenal kind of became my "2nd team" back in the late 2000s, mainly due to so many games being broadcast here (Denmark) as Bendtner was hyped to the moon. Stuck around because I find Arsenal fascinating to follow, partly because you tend to do things differently and partly because there's a big online presence for Arsenal discourse. Stuff like the Arseblog podcast as an example is a top tier football podcast.

I won't put on some facade and say I'm like genuinely emotionally invested in Arsenal, but I do tend to cheer you on against any club not named West Ham. I don't really post anywhere else when it comes to footy either.

The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

If his job was to nullify Zaha threat, then that didnt work. Evertime Zaha had the ball...he looked a threat. Ben White competed to best of his abilities, but certainly never pocketed him.
Physically, he would never be able to keep Zaha silent.

I wonder how would Tomiyasu would do though as he is a giant.

What are you talking about? Zaha did the square root of **** all, looked hella frustrated and conceded a lot of freekicks trying to beat White and getting nullified constantly.

Arsenal1508

What are you talking about? Zaha did the square root of **** all, looked hella frustrated and conceded a lot of freekicks trying to beat White and getting nullified constantly.
He beat Ben White plenty...youbforgetting Saliba cleaning up several times after he got past White?

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

He beat Ben White plenty...youbforgetting Saliba cleaning up several times after he got past White?

You sure about that?

What I'm seeing is a ****load of freekicks conceded by Zaha, a couple of unsuccessful takeons, a cross to nobody, a kick and rush that Saliba cleaned up and one single instance where he turned White, and White fouled him and took a yellow.

How do you work this out to White not nullifying Zaha, when he did?

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Some bizarre takes Iā€™m seeing about White.

Liverpool rotate Konate/Matip/Gomez next to VVD. Gomez fills in at RB as well.

City rotate Stones/Dias/Laporte and Ake who also fills in at LB.

White/Saliba/Gabriel is the type of quality you need these days - weā€™re still arguably a CB short considering Holding isnā€™t at the required level.

I think people are forgetting that Tomi also plays RB and CB and showed himself to be a good player last season, only concern is injuries. When you consider our RB/CB options (as a combination) are Saliba/Tomiyasu/Gabriel/White/Cedric/Holding, with Cedric being third choice RB and White/Tomiyasu both very capable in both positions, I think we're pretty decent in terms of versatile depth, if we don't get too unlucky with injuries.

Also, I'd argue that it'd be better for us to sign a top RB over another CB if possible.

Kav

Established Member
You sure about that?

What I'm seeing is a ****load of freekicks conceded by Zaha, a couple of unsuccessful takeons, a cross to nobody, a kick and rush that Saliba cleaned up and one single instance where he turned White, and White fouled him and took a yellow.

How do you work this out to White not nullifying Zaha, when he did?
I think the issue with this compilation is it doesnā€™t show the few times Zaha skinned him. He also had a few errant passes early on.

That being said I think he did fairly well and when you consider that he doesnā€™t play RB often lately it becomes even more respectable.

I think he did well enough agains a difficult opponent.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

I think the issue with this compilation is it doesnā€™t show the few times Zaha skinned him. He also had a few errant passes early on.

That being said I think he did fairly well and when you consider that he doesnā€™t play RB often lately it becomes even more respectable.

I watched the game and don't remember him getting skinned, and then watched the compilation and didn't see him getting skinned. I'm currently in the process of rewatching the whole match (wanted to keep an eye on a few things) Maybe I forgot and it isn't in this compilation? Dunno, but I guess my memory will be refreshed either way in an hour :lol:

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Just watched the entire second half because its late and I'm bored.

I made notes on every time White and Zaha had a significant defensive interaction, with timestamps so you can check them for yourself.

2 mins in - White forces Zaha into his own half, is forced to play back to defence

5 mins in - White blocks attempted pass by Zaha

8 mins in - Zaha runs at White, White blocks the initial cross, White then covers the shooting angle, Zaha over extends himself and Saliba clears with a nicely timed tackle.

15 mins in - Zaha turns White on an over the top throughball, White tugs him back and is given a yellow card.

21 mins in - White ushers Zaha back, Zaha makes safe pass backwards

24 mins in - White faces up Zaha, Zaha with his back to White tries backheel throughball, backheel is cut out by White

25 mins in - long ball from Andersen to Zaha, Zaha one on one with White, runs at White but is forced to pass inside, comes to nothing

27 mins in - Ayew plays ball across to Zaha, Zaha cuts inside to shoot and White easily blocks shot

34 mins in - Anderson sprays the ball wide, White heads it out

35 mins in - Zaha faced up by White, gets crowded out and then goes back

36 mins in - Zaha receives the ball in space, goes inside and then outside, crosses the ball into good area but no one there to connect.

36 mins in - White shows Zaha to byline, Zaha cross is easily cutout

(Saka scores)

43 mins in - Zaha receives ball, plays it back instantly

44 mins in - ball played to Zaha, White cuts it out before it reaches

Must have missed the bits when he was relentlessly skinned šŸ¤”

Arsenal1508

Thank you...Exactly!

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
White did well, but his only bad mistake almost cost us in the first time. The header that Ramsdale blocked. That actually could change the match and was completely on him. Saliba got his man but White didn't and let his man run freely to strike the ball with his head.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

White did well, but his only bad mistake almost cost us in the first time. The header that Ramsdale blocked. That actually could change the match and was completely on him. Saliba got his man but White didn't and let his man run freely to strike the ball with his head.

Nope. If you watch it again, Gabriel lost his man, Saliba then covered Gabriel's man and White came across to cover Saliba. Watch it again, I just did. Additionally, White actually put in a good enough challenge to put him off getting a clean header.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

aaaaaaaaand the first half...

10 mins in - Zaha tries to beat White down the line, White reads it and the ball deflects off White, falls to an Arsenal player

13 mins in - Zaha cross, blocked by White

17 mins in - Zaha attempts to dribble White, is held up and crowded out

(Martinelli scores)

23 mins in - ball comes to Zaha, Zaha tries to wrestle White, fails, then tries to turn and run down the line and White blocks. Zaha fouls White, freekick.

24 mins in - ball over the top to Zaha, Zaha crosses the ball and its easily cut out.

28 mins in - blind cross, Zaha gets on the end of it and White blocks

32 mins in - ball over the top to Zaha, White holds Zaha up and Saka nicks the ball away

38 mins in - ball rolled into Zaha, Zaha miscontrols out of play under pressure from White

41 mins in - ball rolled into Zaha, White closes down fast and concedes freekick not near to the goal.

43 mins in - Zaha attempts 1-2, White cuts it out

0 skinning occurred in either half, on second watch with no emotions he looked far more comfortable than first time through. Not sure what match others were watching tbh he looked fairly easy against a good PL winger.

Last edited:

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ā­
His only potentially costly mistake that I remember was in the second half when he was covering LB, lost the ball and Palace switched the play and Eke (I think) had a one-on-one with Ramsdale. Otherwise I thought he had an excellent game.

D

Deleted member 102404

Nope. If you watch it again, Gabriel lost his man, Saliba then covered Gabriel's man and White came across to cover Saliba. Watch it again, I just did. Additionally, White actually put in a good enough challenge to put him off getting a clean header.
top post.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Positionally talking a RB always needs to be there if a cross from the left wing comes. It's not like he did some outstanding. It's not even man marking tactic..it's zone tactic. Mar marking is something you don't see anymore in modern football. Yes Gabriel got no mark because his zone got no one. White needed to cover his zone and he didn't so well.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

aaaaaaaaand the first half...

10 mins in - Zaha tries to beat White down the line, White reads it and the ball deflects off White, falls to an Arsenal player

13 mins in - Zaha cross, blocked by White

17 mins in - Zaha attempts to dribble White, is held up and crowded out

(Martinelli scores)

23 mins in - ball comes to Zaha, Zaha tries to wrestle White, fails, then tries to turn and run down the line and White blocks. Zaha fouls White, freekick.

24 mins in - ball over the top to Zaha, Zaha crosses the ball and its easily cut out.

28 mins in - blind cross, Zaha gets on the end of it and White blocks

32 mins in - ball over the top to Zaha, White holds Zaha up and Saka nicks the ball away

38 mins in - ball rolled into Zaha, Zaha miscontrols out of play under pressure from White

41 mins in - ball rolled into Zaha, White closes down fast and concedes freekick not near to the goal.

43 mins in - Zaha attempts 1-2, White cuts it out

0 skinning occurred in either half, on second watch with no emotions he looked far more comfortable than first time through. Not sure what match others were watching tbh he looked fairly easy against a good PL winger.
This is some top level defending of White! Putting biased hater AMers to the mud.

It's exactly what I remembered, I thought he got past him in the yellow foul, which was "a good foul", maybe once more, not sure. And those two bad passes. Otherwise great game and at least once put Saka running past the LB.

But here you see how "eye test" is not always very good, because many posters hate players like Xhaka or White, and their eyes only see the mistakes, never good actions.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom