• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yeremy Pino

Which winger would you prefer?

• Total voters

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I mean we’ve literally just bought a 19-21yr old project in attack, there really is no need for another one
Marquinhos cost 3,5 million euros, and has only experience in Brazilian league, and not even much of that. An opportunistic signing for cheap.

He is not something to depend on this season imo. A loan would be good, but I think they want him to adjust to England, Arsenal and the tactics etc. first, and likely loan him out in January.

He should be not in these conversations. Pino for example already has experience from winning UEL, games in UCL, has played for Spain and a season in the 2nd toughest league in the world.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I wasn’t one of them.

He doesn’t even trust some of his own signings. Mari? Sambi? Tavares? and what on earth happened with Runarsson? I find it strange that these aren’t ever questioned.

I feel it’s about building continuity and a reliance on interdependent relationships on the pitch for our positional rotation style to be effective.

My (maybe harsh) take is I think he gives up on certain players that don’t fit his very precise style too quickly and we are paying the price with some hefty write offs while paying premiums for players that him and Edu know personally.

I’m just making an observation. It doesn’t feel like a very sustainable model to me.
Mari was bought to get us through a period he then got injured for and wasn't happy to be 4th CB.
Sambi will get a lot more time this year I reckon.
Tavares he refused to sell, its clear the player needs to mature.
Runarsson was bought to be 3rd choice for peanuts, and immediately proved he didn't have the requisite mentality.

Not too many conclusions there.

The hefty write offs have nothing to do with style. Its cost most of them were either finished at the top level, or were **** in the first place or in the case of Guendouzi were picking fights with him in training. Apart from the young fuzzy haired frenchman, which departure do you disagree with?

drippin

The point of his wage bump is that we would likely give him much heavier wages than a club like liverpool in order to attract the player.

There's a reason Pool can get 17m for a nothing player like Minamino, while we struggle to move our own nothing players on.

If you pay 40m for Pino and he doesn't work out, you don't want to be stuck with another Pepe situation where no one wants to fork out a salary close to what Arsenal is giving them. It's why Mari is moving on loan once again, with an obligation if his new team stays upand not permanently from the get go.

Neto is not happening anyway, and injury not withstanding, he is prem proven (something the club has prioritized heavily the past two windows) which is where that obviously higher transfer fee and weekly wages would be going.

Zaha makes too much sense for the club to do it, which is a shame. Wouldn't stand in the way of any of the youngsters in the two-three years he'd would be here.
Pino is soon 20 years old, and highly rated, much younger than Pepe and will demand likely something like 80k per week max. Much different to Pepe deal, who is like on double wages and cost a lot more. Mari should not be even mentioned when comparing to Pino deal, totally different level talents.

Zaha would want like 200k per week, so I assume it's 120k per week more. That's like 6 million per year more than Pino. I assume Palace wants like 30 million for him, so it would be 36 million vs. let's say 40 million for Pino. And that's not counting the next years with bigger wages than Pino.

Zaha has no resale value after two years with those wages, while Pino has potential to double his value. And even if he flops, we can shift him for not big loss, maybe 15 million max.

This is why I understand if the club goes for a player like Pino. Pino is also a RW which we need more than LW, but both Zaha and Pino can play either wing I think. But with Martinelli and ESR we don't necessarily need more LW. They showed already last season that they are getting pretty good end product, and we can only assume it will get better.

But again I repeat, I have said here I would be fine with Zaha, and that he makes sense, for a long time this summer.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I see you like this one.

It's less about money, more about value for money. Each of these transactions is an opportunity cost.

I gave you a few names - but we've also recruited the likes of David Luiz, Dani Ceballos, Willian, Cedric under this current regime while systematically selling players at distressed sums and barely giving our best U23s a kick. We've had a net spend of £440m over the past 5 seasons, which is by some distance, the most in the PL.

Hey, all I'm asking is how long can this game of football manager continue?

Let's not be naive and think this is free money - it's been seen previously when we laid off club staff that our owners will act quickly to recoup losses when they feel the need to.
Luiz was under the previous regime. The other three were freebies and a loan. Hardly huge costs. And who did they prevent getting game time? Chambers? Pepe for a bit.
Most of our best u23s simply weren't ready or will never be good enough - because nearly all u23s don't make even a fleeting impact at this level.

I generally agree with the point of opportunity cost, but looking at the facts, I think it was minimal in this scenario.

As for the future, its clear what happened won't repeat. All the bell-ends have gone. All the overpaid past it or lazy guys have gone. Apart from 1 or 2 kids, all those with questionable professionalism have gone. All the guys on huge salaries who don't perform (bar Pepe & Bellerin who don't seem to cause issues) have gone. All the guys who were willing to trash their reputation with the club to get moves have gone.

Apart from a few round the fringes that arent much cop, we'll have no problem getting fair fees for any of the current squad as long as their contracts are looked after.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Pepe had a pretty good first season in the Prem and at the end helped give Arteta a good finish and an FA Cup. In fact he was excellent in that FA Cup final.

Then Arteta bought Willian and Pepe was dropped immediately. After that he‘s never really had a decent run in the side. @Trilly’s point is sound.

Where the hells that clown emoji gone?!

Last edited:

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Marquinhos cost 3,5 million euros, and has only experience in Brazilian league, and not even much of that. An opportunistic signing for cheap.

He is not something to depend on this season imo. A loan would be good, but I think they want him to adjust to England, Arsenal and the tactics etc. first, and likely loan him out in January.

He should be not in these conversations. Pino for example already has experience from winning UEL, games in UCL, has played for Spain and a season in the 2nd toughest league in the world.
I hear you. I just don’t see how it works unless there really is sth else happening that we don’t know of with ESR/Saka. Something doesn’t feel right with this. Unless they’re planning for sth like Saka leaving in a year or two… which lets be honest isn’t exactly a crazy idea.

I’d understand buying someone a bit more proven right now as a back up. I dont understand buying another project unless we’re planning for one of our existing projects to “reach completion”

drippin

I hear you. I just don’t see how it works unless there really is sth else happening that we don’t know of with ESR/Saka. Something doesn’t feel right with this. Unless they’re planning for sth like Saka leaving in a year or two… which lets be honest isn’t exactly a crazy idea.

I’d understand buying someone a bit more proven right now as a back up. I dont understand buying another project unless we’re planning for one of our existing projects to “reach completion”
Problem is that both Martinelli and ESR are better as LW's, like Zaha. Also Saka is a clear starter, and should be so he will renew. So we need someone who can ease the load from Saka.

So in this market you either go for Zaha or Pino, who both are likely fine to compete with others. Zaha might be if he wants to play for a big club in his career.

The problem is more likely to come from Zaha being benched if Martinelli improves like is assumed and he looks like to. 30 million is quite much for a 30 year old who has 200k per week. When they acquired Willian it was a bit different because he was free transfer and neither ESR or Martinelli had yet proven themselves almost at all. But now you don't want to block their path or game-time too much.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Still, we all know Zaha won't happen with our current recruiting strategy.
There’s definitely room in the squad for an experienced player in their late twenties. Tbh I’d go as far as saying it’s needed.

Haven’t quite got my tin foil hat on just yet but windows like this make you wonder just how much they want to compete.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
There’s definitely room in the squad for an experienced player in their late twenties. Tbh I’d go as far as saying it’s needed.

Haven’t quite got my tin foil hat on just yet but windows like this make you wonder just how much they want to compete.

Enough to compete for top 4, not enough to make it a nailed on target. Think they would like to go big, but can't without CL.

Next summer would be the one you push to be in fight between top 3 or 2.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
The point of his wage bump is that we would likely give him much heavier wages than a club like liverpool in order to attract the player.

There's a reason Pool can get 17m for a nothing player like Minamino, while we struggle to move our own nothing players on.

If you pay 40m for Pino and he doesn't work out, you don't want to be stuck with another Pepe situation where no one wants to fork out a salary close to what Arsenal is giving them. It's why Mari is moving on loan once again, with an obligation if his new team stays upand not permanently from the get go.

Neto is not happening anyway, and injury not withstanding, he is prem proven (something the club has prioritized heavily the past two windows) which is where that obviously higher transfer fee and weekly wages would be going.

Zaha makes too much sense for the club to do it, which is a shame. Wouldn't stand in the way of any of the youngsters in the two-three years he'd would be here.

Not necessarily. Maybe he'd prefer to be in London. Maybe he would prefer a coach that speaks Spanish. Maybe he thinks he'd get more games for us. Maybe Unai's said nice things. Maybe he had an afinity for the club.

Of course, it's likely Liverpool would be the preferred choice all other things being equal, if we were to put in equal bids, but as our signings this summer would suggest, individual players all have individual reasons for making their decisions.

Also Pino is a Spain international at 19. You've got a lot more wiggle room if it doesn't work out, as long as he doesn't completely flame out.

As you say, unless Wolves have a wobbly, Neto isn't happening.

Zaha would be huge fun, but i'm not sure how he would fit tactically.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Not necessarily. Maybe he'd prefer to be in London. Maybe he would prefer a coach that speaks Spanish. Maybe he thinks he'd get more games for us. Maybe Unai's said nice things. Maybe he had an afinity for the club.

Of course, it's likely Liverpool would be the preferred choice all other things being equal, if we were to put in equal bids, but as our signings this summer would suggest, individual players all have individual reasons for making their decisions.

Also Pino is a Spain international at 19. You've got a lot more wiggle room if it doesn't work out, as long as he doesn't completely flame out.

As you say, unless Wolves have a wobbly, Neto isn't happening.

Zaha would be huge fun, but i'm not sure how he would fit tactically.

But you take a look at Liverpools ageing front three and there is space for him there. Plus he'd get to play CL and have a better shot of a title or two right off the bat and he gets to work with Klopp. It cuts both ways.

I'm not saying it as a given, but Liverpool do have better pull right now. He could always be sold on the project, etc.

My only worry is that we tend to be a bit too lax with our wages, it's why we're stuck with loaning Mari and likely keeping Cedric til his deal ends, and are hoping to God Runnarson's move is permanent.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
But you take a look at Liverpools ageing front three and there is space for him there. Plus he'd get to play CL and have a better shot of a title or two right off the bat and he gets to work with Klopp. It cuts both ways.

I'm not saying it as a given, but Liverpool do have better pull right now. He could always be sold on the project, etc.

My only worry is that we tend to be a bit too lax with our wages, it's why we're stuck with loaning Mari and likely keeping Cedric til his deal ends, and are hoping to God Runnarson's move is permanent.
Of course, I don't think that can be denied all things being equal. My only point being that wages wouldn't be the only reason someone would pick us first.

Mari's wages are a shock & Runnarson got to much. Pretty much all of our other signings wages make sense tbh

D

Deleted member 102404

Has it not been a great transfer window???
The only position we really need now is in CM. That would make it near perfect.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Has it not been a great transfer window???
The only position we really need now is in CM. That would make it near perfect.
Need a CM and ideally another senior forward for it to be perfect imo.

Last edited:

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
If we bring him and we don't get any other LCM then I play Saka on the LCM role and put Pepe/Pino on the right. Anything is better than Xhaka

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Need a CM and ideally another senior forward for it to be perfect imo.
Arnautovic?

We finally got rid of a senior forward who couldn't score to save his life, and there is another senior CM who is likely the worst player in our starting 11, yet we are still into this seniority thing...

We should either get quality players or nothing, patching the squad with seniors who are just there to take their final big check is a definition of a decline in football

Gunner D

Coronavirus Truther; ex. Gunner boy dd
Really don’t see the point in this signing. 40m on a 19yo winger who’s not gonna be in the starting 11 is just ridiculous. Like @Big Poppa said, this is literally football manager.

Surely we’ve got a young winger in our academy we can put on the bench if we’re gona go down this route?

drippin

It could actually also be that they plan to buy a top striker next summer, so Jesus would need game-time also on the wing. Which is good squad planning.

In this sense buying a top prospect could make more sense than a ready-made older player whose value will only drop.

Pino also looks like very hard working winger who can help us this season already. Seems like he can defend well also.

There is no contest between an academy player with no senior football and Pino. Or Nelson. World of difference. LaLiga is 2nd toughest league in the world.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Arnautovic?

We finally got rid of a senior forward who couldn't score to save his life, and there is another senior CM who is likely the worst player in our starting 11, yet we are still into this seniority thing...

We should either get quality players or nothing, patching the squad with seniors who are just there to take their final big check is a definition of a decline in football
Senior is usually associated with being able to deliver right now.

Young players that can deliver right now aren’t coming to Arsenal so we settle for older ones. I’d rather sign Mbappe but I’ll settle for Zaha.

Top Bottom