• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey: Body Falling Apartey

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Ndidi is class on this position though. Should go for him instead of Youri.

I don't think he ticks some of the boxes like press evasion, certainly not to the degree Partey does. He's better defensively but I think Mik is prioritising the on the ball part of the job for his 6.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Partey was making impressive turns which wooed the crowd but followed it up with poor passes. The ability to turn under pressure is kind of overrated, espescially when it’s such a risky manoeuvre and not every attempt succeeds. Does Rodri turn like that? I’m not so sure. I much prefer players comfortable on the ball who can pass their way out of pressure, but of course, it needs the help of your teammates movement to provide options, it’s not about going solo.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Partey was making impressive turns which wooed the crowd but followed it up with poor passes. The ability to turn under pressure is kind of overrated, espescially when it’s such a risky manoeuvre and not every attempt succeeds. Does Rodri turn like that? I’m not so sure. I much prefer players comfortable on the ball who can pass their way out of pressure, but of course, it needs the help of your teammates movement to provide options, it’s not about going solo.

How do you rate Xhaka's ability to turn under pressure?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He doesn’t do it, he’s a passer. The Rodri, Jorginho etc type. At other times he will try to win a foul, which is very helpful too.
He can’t pass for **** under pressure. I can show you evidence of that but there is no better evidence than to point to where Arteta has dumped the pointy shouty cheerleader. We don’t have to worry about that nearly as much now because we’ve got Partey. Over the stretch though, as was proven last season, Xhaka won’t give you anywhere near enough and that’s firmly on the shoulders of Mikel.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
He can’t pass for **** under pressure. I can show you evidence of that but there is no better evidence than to point to where Arteta has dumped the pointy shouty cheerleader. We don’t have to worry about that nearly as much now because we’ve got Partey. Over the stretch though, as was proven last season, Xhaka won’t give you anywhere near enough and that’s firmly on the shoulders of Mikel.

Should be in the Xhaka thread but if you insist:

That’s a small sample of his great passing ability as a 6.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
How do you rate Xhaka's ability to turn under pressure?

He cant consistently turn under pressure, that's why he has been a target for the press if he is played alone in that role, without any passing options.

But that isnt really a problem anymore.

The question you should be asking yourself is why Xhaka doesnt get caught out like that anymore, in fact when was the last time we saw that happen to him. Now, you could answer it by saying that he plays further up the field, but that's not always the case.. because he does drop deep to assist with build up, or goes into the space left by Zinchenko/Tierney for time and space to distribute.

The answer to why Xhaka isnt seen as a danger anymore is because of the compact, well spaced, system which provides players all around the ball now, during almost every phase of possessional play.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

He cant consistently turn under pressure, that's why he has been a target for the press if he is played alone in that role, without any passing options.

But that isnt really a problem anymore.

The question you should be asking yourself is why Xhaka doesnt get caught out like that anymore, in fact when was the last time we saw that happen to him. Now, you could answer it by saying that he plays further up the field, but that's not always the case.. because he does drop deep to assist with build up, or goes into the space left by Zinchenko/Tierney for time and space to distribute.

The answer to why Xhaka isnt seen as a danger anymore is because of the compact, well spaced, system which provides players all around the ball now, during almost every phase of possessional play.

Tbh it wasn't really a serious question to @BergMan I was just having fun with him since he's a world class fanboy.

I do agree with a lot of what you posted tho FWIW.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Tbh it wasn't really a serious question to @BergMan I was just having fun with him since he's a world class fanboy.

I do agree with a lot of what you posted tho FWIW.

I got you bud ;)

He's not perfect of course, I myself have pulled my hair out at times as a result of him being caught out and us suffering in the process.

And Im sure he'll be the reason I curse at my TV again this season :lol:

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Partey is an excellent player who’s key for us. I love his agility in his deeper role, he can wriggle out of challenges nicely and he’s a fairly skilful player.

What I don’t like is his lapses in concentration when passing. It happens too often. He needs to utilise the safe option when needed, I like the way he can feed the ball through the lines but sometimes he ends up giving away possession needlessly.

Cut down on the shooting and be more conservative with passing- then we get the star we know we have on a consistent basis.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Partey is an excellent player who’s key for us. I love his agility in his deeper role, he can wriggle out of challenges nicely and he’s a fairly skilful player.

What I don’t like is his lapses in concentration when passing. It happens too often. He needs to utilise the safe option when needed, I like the way he can feed the ball through the lines but sometimes he ends up giving away possession needlessly.

Cut down on the shooting and be more conservative with passing- then we get the star we know we have on a consistent basis.

Completely agree. He was criticised for moving the ball too quickly vs Palace (perhaps because of the booing, dunno) but this is actually what I want from him. He isn't a distributor, so just tick it along and keep easy possession.

blrgooner

Established Member
Completely agree with this. The traits like "press resistance" and "ability to turn under pressure" are kind overblown to some extent. They are great traits to have for sure but like "dribbles completed" and "key passes", they are actually attacking traits. When Partey is able to implement a quick turn or when he evades press using his physique, he opens up space in front of him which an opposition player has to fill and this leads to our attacking players having more space to attack.
Having said that, these are not really "must have" traits. Just like in the case of dribbles your number of dribbles is a small fraction of the number of touches, the number of times you actually evade the opposition press and turn under pressure is maybe 2-3 times in a game even for the best players. This is not a sustainable mode for a team to use to advance play all the time. Rodri,Jorginho etc are players who don`t really do this but manage to advance play using passing and movement which is a far more sustainable way to keep control and possession. This is where we are weak in the midfield. We need a player who can see the pitch and take good decisions to keep control of the game.

Just to add some stats to this perspective, Rodri has 103 touches per 90 in the first 2 games, The number itself may be more a function of the way the team plays, but what is important to consider is that it is very close to the number of touches defenders had and in a few cases more than them (Dias-104, Ake-105,Walker 98.4 and Cancelo 116). The attacking players in front for Rodri had much fewer touches (Gundogan 71,KDB 69, Foden 69). This is a clear template of a team which has control over the game.

If we look at Arsenal stats for the same 2 games, Partey had 59 touches per game, its kinda close to the defenders to some extent (Gabriel 65, Zinchenko 69 and White 60) but its also very close to the attacking players (Xhaka 58, Ødegaard 51,Saka 48, Jesus 49). For me , this indicates that there is not enough interpassing among the lone 6 and the defenders which could help us in moving the game to the opposition half which would in turn help us keep control of the game. Instead we try to move the ball to the attacking players quickly far too often and this leads them to be isolated and results in more turnovers and less possession.
That is pretty much what my eye test says too, We need a player in the midfield who can just pass and move into space and use this to control the tempo of the game.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Completely agree with this. The traits like "press resistance" and "ability to turn under pressure" are kind overblown to some extent. They are great traits to have for sure but like "dribbles completed" and "key passes", they are actually attacking traits. When Partey is able to implement a quick turn or when he evades press using his physique, he opens up space in front of him which an opposition player has to fill and this leads to our attacking players having more space to attack.
Having said that, these are not really "must have" traits. Just like in the case of dribbles your number of dribbles is a small fraction of the number of touches, the number of times you actually evade the opposition press and turn under pressure is maybe 2-3 times in a game even for the best players. This is not a sustainable mode for a team to use to advance play all the time. Rodri,Jorginho etc are players who don`t really do this but manage to advance play using passing and movement which is a far more sustainable way to keep control and possession. This is where we are weak in the midfield. We need a player who can see the pitch and take good decisions to keep control of the game.

Just to add some stats to this perspective, Rodri has 103 touches per 90 in the first 2 games, The number itself may be more a function of the way the team plays, but what is important to consider is that it is very close to the number of touches defenders had and in a few cases more than them (Dias-104, Ake-105,Walker 98.4 and Cancelo 116). The attacking players in front for Rodri had much fewer touches (Gundogan 71,KDB 69, Foden 69). This is a clear template of a team which has control over the game.

If we look at Arsenal stats for the same 2 games, Partey had 59 touches per game, its kinda close to the defenders to some extent (Gabriel 65, Zinchenko 69 and White 60) but its also very close to the attacking players (Xhaka 58, Ødegaard 51,Saka 48, Jesus 49). For me , this indicates that there is not enough interpassing among the lone 6 and the defenders which could help us in moving the game to the opposition half which would in turn help us keep control of the game. Instead we try to move the ball to the attacking players quickly far too often and this leads them to be isolated and results in more turnovers and less possession.
That is pretty much what my eye test says too, We need a player in the midfield who can just pass and move into space and use this to control the tempo of the game.

Good post. Although I’d say that the player you’re looking for must also be strong physically, on the ground and in the air.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think there is an element to where we want to control the game, but I don't think it is in the manner of City. City retain the ball and are very precise and controlled in what they do.

I think we take more risks and are happy to create more transitions and opportunities to counter press.

Moving the ball through the thirds quickly allows wingers to isolate their fullbacks.

Arteta clearly is influenced by Pep, but I am seeing more Wenger in the manner we attack around the box. Players have freedom to express themselves. They don't under Pep. We have a similar structure in terms of positional build up, but that's as far as it goes.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka

Man if Patino was 23 years old and fully developed physically and tactically, he would fit the role you described perfectly. He is more mobile than Xhaka and always on the move looking to control tempo. Patino's already one of the best passers on the team in terms of technique.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Shartey has been s-h-i-t-e for us.

Fair enough you think Partey is sh!t but atleast keep the same consistent energy in calling him sh!t in this thread when he's performing well 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom