• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Rob Holding (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
We shouldn't let our 3rd best CB go. We need depth of quality and it would be a mistake to let a good consistent peformaner go.
gordon-ramsey-****-off.gif

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
This is the season you really don't want to sell Holding.

He's ideal for early stages Europa League and domestic cups and is an adequate back up for the starting CB's. Doesn't cause a fuss, on fairly low wages, HG etc.

Unless it's silly money and we have a replacement lined up ready it seems a bit of a pointless thing to do.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

He's ideal for early stages Europa League and domestic cups and is an adequate back up for the starting CB's. Doesn't cause a fuss, on fairly low wages, HG etc.

Unless it's silly money and we have a replacement lined up ready it seems a bit of a pointless thing to do.

You have to be opportunistic though. An offer might not come along again. Sure whatever we get for him probably goes on a replacement but he cost **** all and if we get £15m for him it helps balance the books.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
You have to be opportunistic though. An offer might not come along again. Sure whatever we get for him probably goes on a replacement but he cost **** all and if we get £15m for him it helps balance the books.
Exactly, this could easily turn into another Maitland-Niles situation, where you reject a 15m+ offer (was it Arteta with his fears of abandonment that pushed to keep him?) only to be stuck with him?

I think Rob Holding is fine as a defender in a deeper system where he can focus on heading the ball away, but there are countless times where I felt like he was 'pretend defending' when an attacker was actually dribbling him.

Would love to take 20m and actually get a fee for once.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Said a few weeks ago i could us signing 2 minimum and upto 4 if certain players move on. Holding was one of them. Effectively atm we've 3 centre backs with Ben White playing right back. If he leaves we need another centre back.

MikeVinna

Established Member
If he wants the move and we get good money I’m okay with this.

If he’s okay with staying I’d rather we don’t create any problems with our depth in defense. A decent replacement could be expensive after all.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We could just replace him with a right back...

We never got that LCB in as well.

No point buying a right back when Norton Cuffy will be back next season. A full season loan in the championship and he will be ready for next season. If we let him go we need to bring in a LCB.

Ndicka and Diallo are available. Gabriel needs competition.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

I do see your point but I'd prefer to see us focus our remaining budget and time on the CM problem.

Holdings got a contract till 2024 with a another years option. It's not like his value will be any lower next summer. Hopefully then we'll have CL football and that would be a good time to move Rob on and cash in.

He's decent enough that mid to lower Pl teams will always be interested in him so I don't think we need to worry about being stuck with him till the end of his contract if we reject a bid this summer.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
What are you talking about, Ben White is staying 100%

Holding is much better defensively and has much better positional awareness. White is more a ball player who is much better suited to playing RB or CM.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I do see your point but I'd prefer to see us focus our remaining budget and time on the CM problem.

Holdings got a contract till 2024 with a another years option. It's not like his value will be any lower next summer. Hopefully then we'll have CL football and that would be a good time to move Rob on and cash in.

He's decent enough that mid to lower Pl teams will always be interested in him so I don't think we need to worry about being stuck with him till the end of his contract if we reject a bid this summer.
I agree that we should not spend much money on this. But if we get a good offer for Holding this window, we should take it if we get someone cheap like Ndicka in his place, who is left-footed and can play a high-line better with his speed advantage. Depends also of course if we need Holding for his HG status. Villa is in trouble after injury to Carlos so we might not get similar offer later.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Sell sell sell. Anything over £15m and you bite Villa’s hand off. Though knowing how clubs are with us, Villa will probably offer something like £4m, to be paid in instalments over 9 years or a loan+option.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I am all for his selling at any decent price but how would his sale affect our homegrown quota?
Would we still have space to bring a non-HG player in his place?
NHG:

Turner, Tomiyasu, Cedric, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Tierney, Partey, Elneny, Ødegaard, Vieira, Xhaka, Lokonga, Pepe, Jesus (14)

HG:

Ramsdale, Bellerin, AMN, White, Holding, Nelson, ESR, Nketiah (8)

U21:

Saliba, Saka, Marquinhos, Martinelli (4)

So we can sign 3 NHG players without selling anybody, you don’t have to have 8 HG players either, the main thing is you can’t have anymore than 17 NHG. 17 NHG and 8 HG is just if you want to have the max limit of 25 players not including u21s.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
NHG:

Turner, Tomiyasu, Cedric, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Tierney, Partey, Elneny, Ødegaard, Vieira, Xhaka, Lokonga, Pepe, Jesus (14)

HG:

U21:

So we can sign 3 NHG players without selling anybody, you don’t have to have 8 HG players either, the main thing is you can’t have anymore than 17 NHG.
The thing is that after this transfer window, we m8ght be down to 5 (or 6)HG, as Bellerin AMN and Nelson could be gone (he might remain given his injury).

Then you need to make it up with nhg, but the good thing is as you say that we can still get 3 more nhg.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The thing is that after this transfer window, we m8ght be down to 5 (or 6)HG, as Bellerin AMN and Nelson could be gone (he might remain given his injury).

Then you need to make it up with nhg, but the good thing is as you say that we can still get 3 more nhg.
Yeah but then next season Saliba, Saka and Martinelli will all be HG.

You can build your squad with 0 HG. It’d just mean you’d have to have a squad of 17 + u21s.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Think Arteta will keep him this season no matter what, tbh...he probably has done enough at Arsenal, that if he wants to leave to play more, you should let him leave.

Feel he is good enough to start for a lot of teams in the Prem, can see him getting into the England squad if he does play first team football, he's better than the likes of Mings and Coady...would pick Rob over Maguire too, even in a low block formation.

That performance v Sp**s away was a disaster, but he's usually a pretty good performing in big games bar that...the only cup finals we have lost in his time here, is the 2 Holding missed through injury.

D

Deleted member 102404

Tomiyasu can also play CB. With BW looking good at RB we have two versatile players that can cover both CB and RB positions.

Right now Holding is probably 5th choice CB.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
NHG:

HG:

U21:

So we can sign 3 NHG players without selling anybody, you don’t have to have 8 HG players either, the main thing is you can’t have anymore than 17 NHG. 17 NHG and 8 HG is just if you want to have the max limit of 25 players not including u21s.
Thank you for this. We used to have HSG posting these types of breakdowns but no one has bothered recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom