• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Magalhães: O Monstro

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
I think Saliba is skewing many people perception on Gabriel. Overall since he came he has been our best defender by a mile (minus that post covid period where he really struggled with the virus).

He is more than good enough for us. Most of his mistakes come from covering other player's errors and he is the one playing the high percentage game trying to be proactive to win balls while Saliba is further behind mostly.

Of course Saliba is absolutely world class no doubts about that. We already knew that 3 years ago. But alot of good things Gabriel does always goes unnoticed, especially his passes between the lines and his positioning sense in defensive transitions. People focus on the errors and then blame the player when the entire team shape was wrong.

I have little worries about Gabriel. Him and Saliba is still our best partnership
Spot on.

No need to scapegoat a decent player. Mistakes are human and he more than makes up for it with other actions.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
He has had a mixed season so far..would it be good for us to play Tomiyasu in his position for a little while?

Tomiyasu is more than comfortable playing at LCB. It will be good for Gabriel to have a breather and just to mentally reset.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Disagree. I think Saliba would have blocked it. Thought it was reckless and unnecessary
I don’t think he would and xhakas bad touch led to this mess anyway after the ball was cleared. Gabriel is very proactive defender and gets a lot right. No way can white do as well as him imo

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
One mistake and everyone is on top on him wanting him dropped? Yet the likes Bellerin, Ramsey, Diaby and Partey can produce poor peformance after poor performance and not have a bad word said about them.

Gabriel has been brilliant so far this season up untill yesterday.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
One mistake and everyone is on top on him wanting him dropped? Yet the likes Bellerin, Ramsey, Diaby and Partey can produce poor peformance after poor performance and not have a bad word said about them.

Weren’t you saying that Holdini wasn’t a problem a few years ago when he was letting the likes of Sterling outjump him and score?

Gabriel is the weak link in this defence at the moment.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Weren’t you saying that Holdini wasn’t a problem a few years ago when he was letting the likes of Sterling outjump him and score?

Gabriel is the weak link in this defence at the moment.

So Holding produces good peformance after good peformance for years and one thing you remeber is the one mistake he made?

Imagine living through the likes of Bellerin, Luiz, Santos, Cygan, Squillaci and picking that out.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I think the way he plays proactive defenders will always have this reputation. He can do 9 good things by being reactive and stop anything be created and the 10th when he miss times it people will react. There are CBs who back off, don’t really commit unless they have to and when the team concede it doesn’t look they did much wrong. Mertesacker was perfect example of this. Rarely did he stop much before it happened and always backed off. It’s the reason I prefer him to White fall into the backing off and avoid meeting forwards further up

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I feel like our standards are higher in defence than in attack.

You’ve got people saying Gabriel isn’t a title winning CB (might be true) but nobody calls out our attack which isn’t title winning level either.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

The penalty situation was a shared mess where many had a part. Just during the incident Saliba's header was poor, Xhaka's touch awful and then Gabriel should not have gone for the ball but tried to block instead. These things do happen and nothing I would fault any of the three with particularly. It all started with Saka losing the ball and then there were many actions by us that could have helped clean up the situation.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don’t really think it was a big mistake from him yesterday, there was a combination of errors from the team. He’s a warrior and plays with his heart on his sleeve, and it suits him having a guy like Saliba who is so calm and collected next to him.

But no doubt he will cost you in too many games and if we want to be a PL/CL contender then you can’t really have that. Wonder if City would let us have Laporte…

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Don’t really think it was a big mistake from him yesterday, there was a combination of errors from the team. He’s a warrior and plays with his heart on his sleeve, and it suits him having a guy like Saliba who is so calm and collected next to him.

But no doubt he will cost you in too many games and if we want to be a PL/CL contender then you can’t really have that. Wonder if City would let us have Laporte…
A guy like saliba also needs someone who is more aggressive and he can read the game and clean behind him. The best partnership ms compliment each other. Terry/Carvallho. Ferdinand/Vidic

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko

Even Laporte makes mistakes.

In fact he said this himself

Laporte continued, “Or there’s a mistake, and people think footballers should be like on FIFA: that the pass goes there by itself, that players and the ball move, that we have time to think. Until you’ve been out there, you don’t realise how quick it is.

That top teams don’t make mistakes is an absolute myth. They do, City does, Liverpool does with it being more pronounced this season. The vast majority of goals in this league don’t just magically happen, but are off mistakes. It happens. It’s just forgotten because they still win the game.

Again, 2-3 mistakes don’t define a season. They never did. In cup games they can be costly, but that’s about it. Performances and the positives you bring to the team are MUCH more important.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's not Sergio Ramos level but style wise not too dissimilar. He made a mistake in an earlier match and atoned for it by scoring. After his error yesterday, both he and Saliba were left exposed more than once by our team shape and yet we shut Sp**s out. If we want to upgrade him, I've no idea who would replace him. All my rated CB's are at new clubs or looking poor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom