• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Magalhães: O Monstro

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I feel like our standards are higher in defence than in attack.

You’ve got people saying Gabriel isn’t a title winning CB (might be true) but nobody calls out our attack which isn’t title winning level either.

It's easily the best bit about the team. You can only fault it for keeper cover maybe and an alternative for Gabriel who I rate highly but rotation might help him maybe.

The RB's this season are a bit stiff and overly calculated about bombing foward too. This is more of a Ben observation, but that's a nitpick.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

You’ve got people saying Gabriel isn’t a title winning CB (might be true) but nobody calls out our attack which isn’t title winning level either.

The attack would have looked completely different had we signed Raphinha. Honestly think we could have pushed City for the title if we signed him during the summer.

Still think we can if we remain in and around there come January then we go for 2 players in that window + shift Tomiyasu to CB alongside Saliba but I can’t see it happening. The club should seriously consider moving our summer 2023 business forward to January as we’ve got a decent chance.

Got to take advantage of this current crop whilst Saliba is still around and not waste it just on top 4. Liverpool’s decline should be an eye opener as these cycles don’t last for long.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Well, yeah. After over a decade of calamitous defending we have been traumatized and can tell when a player is turning into a donkey from a mile away. Rarely has our defending been sorted out and it more relied on patch work, if you ask me.

On the other hand, there was almost never a shortage of chances created up front. It was just the finishing that was off, so excluding our attack in the first 2 years with Arteta on the bench, we've been at least successful at creating chances.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Looking at the incident, what should Gabriel have done? He gambled and tried to win the ball when Richarlison had space in our box. In those situations you either make an attempt or hope that Richarlison doesn't score/find Son who was free and unmarked. He has so little time to react to Xhaka's initial error, if you look when he makes the tackle Richarlison has a free shot on goal basically if Gabriel doesn't do anything.

This isn't to say Gabriel isn't prone to mistakes or hasn't done this quite a few times, just this specific incident I'd love to know what people think Gabriel should've done. Especially given he has a literal nanosecond to react.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Looking at the incident, what should Gabriel have done? He gambled and tried to win the ball when Richarlison had space in our box. In those situations you either make an attempt or hope that Richarlison doesn't score/find Son who was free and unmarked. He has so little time to react to Xhaka's initial error, if you look when he makes the tackle Richarlison has a free shot on goal basically if Gabriel doesn't do anything.

This isn't to say Gabriel isn't prone to mistakes or hasn't done this quite a few times, just this specific incident I'd love to know what people think Gabriel should've done. Especially given he has a literal nanosecond to react.
He should have just tried to block the shot instead of winning the ball.

Difficult when you’re not set, don’t know where your teammates are and are just trying to react to a scramble in the box. Maybe the very very best defenders come out of that situation positively but I’m sure a lot of good ones would struggle in the same scenario.

GunnerShy

One mistake and everyone is on top on him wanting him dropped? Yet the likes Bellerin, Ramsey, Diaby and Partey can produce poor peformance after poor performance and not have a bad word said about them.

Gabriel has been brilliant so far this season up untill yesterday.
What was the Mitrovic one if not a mistake? Not suggesting he gets dropped. But his clangers are coming too often!!

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Yet the likes Bellerin, Ramsey, Diaby and Partey can produce poor peformance after poor performance and not have a bad word said about them.
Do you have Alzheimer? All those players were criticized while they were here, especially Bellerin and Ramsey.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Feel like CBs (except for black swan anomaly talents like Saliba) are the hardest to predict in terms of evolution and potential, so much of the position is mental and hard to judge a players mental qualities without a massive sample size and even harder to project their evolution (so many examples here…Koulibaly, van Dijk, Stones, etc etc).

So don’t really have an opinion on Gabriel, can see him becoming world class and I can also see him not being good enough.

But if we are opposed to using White or Tomi as LCB, then yeah, I would buy someone as competition for him in case the latter is the case.

Badiashile (this one seems the most interesting to me, seems to have nice natural composure about him) and Lacroix would seem to be interesting options. Wonder if there will be too much competition though.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
He should have just tried to block the shot instead of winning the ball.

Difficult when you’re not set, don’t know where your teammates are and are just trying to react to a scramble in the box. Maybe the very very best defenders come out of that situation positively but I’m sure a lot of good ones would struggle in the same scenario.

Nah, what he did was correct. Seems like people wanted him to stop Richarlison getting a great shot with his aura or whatever.

He proactively tried to fix the mess his teammates did. Maybe if he stayed there doing nothing Xhaka or Saliba would get more of the blame but so what? The objective here is to stop the opponent, not to avoid blame.

TheGreatWright8

Player:Jesus
Nah, what he did was correct. Seems like people wanted him to stop Richarlison getting a great shot with his aura or whatever.

He proactively tried to fix the mess his teammates did. Maybe if he stayed there doing nothing Xhaka or Saliba would get more of the blame but so what? The objective here is to stop the opponent, not to avoid blame.
I disagree you never go to ground in the penalty box otherwise you are asking for trouble don't give the ref ammunition to utilize against you

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Feel like CBs (except for black swan anomaly talents like Saliba) are the hardest to predict in terms of evolution and potential, so much of the position is mental and hard to judge a players mental qualities without a massive sample size and even harder to project their evolution (so many examples here…Koulibaly, van Dijk, Stones, etc etc).

So don’t really have an opinion on Gabriel, can see him becoming world class and I can also see him not being good enough.

But if we are opposed to using White or Tomi as LCB, then yeah, I would buy someone as competition for him in case the latter is the case.

Badiashile (this one seems the most interesting to me, seems to have nice natural composure about him) and Lacroix would seem to be interesting options. Wonder if there will be too much competition though.
Pretty sure when Norton-Cuffy comes back next season, then Tomiyasu will be 2nd LCB.

Arteta has mentioned he can play there or even LB. And has said how you can't really see which is his stronger foot.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He's had a few shaky moments, but has been mainly good imo...bounced back well in the second half v Sp**s.

Can't drop him, no other defender we have (bar Rob) is vocal.

Saliba is a better defender than Gabby, but seems very quiet, you need them both together as they bring the best out of eachother...Gabby is the Mertesacker to William's Koscienly.

Melquiades

Man, is this place bipolar.

He's been a rock this season and his mistakes are way down from the last two years - as you'd expect as he moves into his mid-20s.

Every CB on the planet gives away a penalty once in a while. If that number starts increasing and he gives away 3 or 4 or 5, then we have a problem. But these kinds of hot takes to a singular event against a strong offensive team are just ridiculous.

Outside of that one play, we've given our last two opponents absolutely nothing to work with.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
The attack would have looked completely different had we signed Raphinha. Honestly think we could have pushed City for the title if we signed him during the summer.

Still think we can if we remain in and around there come January then we go for 2 players in that window + shift Tomiyasu to CB alongside Saliba but I can’t see it happening. The club should seriously consider moving our summer 2023 business forward to January as we’ve got a decent chance.

Got to take advantage of this current crop whilst Saliba is still around and not waste it just on top 4. Liverpool’s decline should be an eye opener as these cycles don’t last for long.

Liverpool's dominance was clearly based on a hard working team + 4 absolutely world class players which, as soon as they declined, so did the performances. Think our squad is better rounded. We don't have the outright insane output of a prime Salah/Mane yet but we're not far off having a VVD equivalent in Saliba and I think our midfield is better than the Henderson/Milner/Fabinho trio with this season's Partey/Xhaka/Ødegaard imo having inferior but close to similar workrate, with better tekkers on the ball.

I never rated Firmino tbh, think Jesus is levels above him.

All of that said, these guys need to prove it at the top level like Pool did before any of what I just said can be validated.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad
Again and again and again 😭

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
we should definitely replace him this summer. just look at Saliba and realize the huge gap between them

Latest posts+

Top Bottom