• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
You saying Tierney and Laca couldn't play that role so he preferred to play a different system where Tierney was a more traditional full back and Laca a deep lying CF. Interesting take.

Pretty much. I think you have to make the most of the players you have at your disposal. Something admittedly Arteta hasn't been great with at times.

Laca just wasn't physically capable of playing the role Jesus does. He tried really hard but he just didn't have the stamina or the scoring boots at the end. So you have to work around it as best you can.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Arteta seems to start Zinchenko over KT either. He's more suitable to the role Arteta ideally wants his FB to have even if KT is the better 'Traditional FB'

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Pretty much. I think you have to make the most of the players you have at your disposal. Something admittedly Arteta hasn't been great with at times.

Laca just wasn't physically capable of playing the role Jesus does. He tried really hard but he just didn't have the stamina or the scoring boots at the end. So you have to work around it as best you can.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Arteta seems to start Zinchenko over KT either. He's more suitable to the role Arteta ideally wants his FB to have even if KT is the better 'Traditional FB'
Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if eddy had been brought into the fold earlier

Looking at Iwobi's form in his new number 6 role for Everton, I'd actually try and bid for him again. Rather than a Douglas Luiz for example.

Get in Iwobi, to replace Elneny, get in a replacement for TP5 and keep Lokonga to continue his development.

I said on this forum that if we didn't get 40 million offer for Iwobi I wanted to see him tried out in midfield. Got laughed off because of it. Like always. Then when I gloat a little bit because I'm always right about things people get offended and call me a troll

I'm not sure Iwobi is on the level we require to compete for titles but I'm very glad he is doing well in a position I knew he could!

Need CL to be within a shot of Bellingham, but he does feel like a Pep signing don't he?

Is Bellingham Arteta or Pep signing? I feel like Arteta ball would benefit more from signing like Tonali. Given their profiles. Not that I think Pep and Tetz would refuse to sign a player like Bellingham. Could very well use him.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

I can see Bellingham ending up at Liverpool next summer if they don't flop in the league this season tbh.

There's been quite a lot of smoke in the English press over the last year or so, about him ending up there.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

If this a real thing, we must be about the only club in the world to appoint a manager who is so inflexible that he can only succeed by buying a unique set of players to suit the one system he has in mind. Most managers would probably grab your hand off for players as good as Tierney or Auba.

samspade

If this a real thing, we must be about the only club in the world to appoint a manager who is so inflexible that he can only succeed by buying a unique set of players to suit the one system he has in mind. Most managers would probably grab your hand off for players as good as Tierney or Auba.
Would you still trade him for potter? Feel I’ve heard you say this in the past

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Injury prone, I’d leave him alone I think

How has he been at City anyway?

Not a lot of players we could go for right now. I would try and keep it in league if possible, but I'll admit I can't name any names we could go for other than a sort-of-chelsea-bound Rice.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

But this is the thing, Auba and KT are my two favourite players of this era along with Saka. They are very good at certain things, Auba in particular WC at some but they are both quite limited all around footballers.

You build a side around Auba, he will score you goals, no question.
You get KT playing as a traditional FB and he stays fit, he's one of the best in the league.

You can't build a side to get the best out of a 33 year old Auba or a pretty injury prone KT though. It doesn't make sense.

We can say that Auba was / is a great goalscorer and KT's a really good FB but their limitations don't fit well with the system that Arteta wants to play clearly.

I'd say even now Jesus isn't as good a goalscorer as Auba. But his all round game fits the system much better and compliments his teammates more than Auba's would.

I don't think anyone would switch Jesus for Auba now when you see what Jesus brings that Auba just doesn't have in his game.

theHotHead

Looking at Iwobi's form in his new number 6 role for Everton, I'd actually try and bid for him again. Rather than a Douglas Luiz for example.

Get in Iwobi, to replace Elneny, get in a replacement for TP5 and keep Lokonga to continue his development.
Nah, Iwobi is so limited, got terrible tekkers and not enough end product. I have never seen him strike the ball with "check/fade" - its all basic ball striking. He has no vision and is basic, best thing we did was get rid of him.

samspade

How has he been at City anyway?

Not a lot of players we could go for right now. I would try and keep it in league if possible, but I'll admit I can't name any names we could go for other than a sort-of-chelsea-bound Rice.
Haven’t seen him play a single minute for them tbh, good player don’t get me wrong. Guess you’re looking at Caicedo (who I’ve seen nothing of), Nevez etc. maybe iwobi

theHotHead

Would you still trade him for potter? Feel I’ve heard you say this in the past
Arteta is not even the best manager in North London, let alone London. I place Potter, Conte and Vieira higher than I do Arteta. Arteta is a chequebook manager. As MakingTrax said, he has only been able to look like a competent manager by changing the squad, thats kack, anyone can do that. Throw enough darts at a dart board blindfolded and you will inevitably hit the board !!

Look what Potter came in and did with Brighton with limited resources. Look what Vieira did with Crystal Palace largely with the same players Hodgson had ! They are difficult to beat and play fantastic football now. Conte is Conte, nuff said. He came in after the season started made great decisions that ended up taking 4th place away from us. Any manager can replace an entire squad and get results, Arteta hasn't even come close to making any of our squads play to their potential - Potter did with Brighton, Vieira did with Crystal Palace - and both with vastly inferior players.

samspade

Arteta is not even the best manager in North London, let alone London. I place Potter, Conte and Vieira higher than I do Arteta. Arteta is a chequebook manager. As MakingTrax said, he has only been able to look like a competent manager by changing the squad, thats kack, anyone can do that. Throw enough darts at a dart board blindfolded and you will inevitably hit the board !!

Look what Potter came in and did with Brighton with limited resources. Look what Vieira did with Crystal Palace largely with the same players Hodgson had ! They are difficult to beat and play fantastic football now. Conte is Conte, nuff said. He came in after the season started made great decisions that ended up taking 4th place away from us. Any manager can replace an entire squad and get results, Arteta hasn't even come close to making any of our squads play to their potential - Potter did with Brighton, Vieira did with Crystal Palace - and both with vastly inferior players.
Would you trade them all in then?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
But this is the thing, Auba and KT are my two favourite players of this era along with Saka. They are very good at certain things, Auba in particular WC at some but they are both quite limited all around footballers.

You build a side around Auba, he will score you goals, no question.
You get KT playing as a traditional FB and he stays fit, he's one of the best in the league.

You can't build a side to get the best out of a 33 year old Auba or a pretty injury prone KT though. It doesn't make sense.

We can say that Auba was / is a great goalscorer and KT's a really good FB but their limitations don't fit well with the system that Arteta wants to play clearly.

I'd say even now Jesus isn't as good a goalscorer as Auba. But his all round game fits the system much better and compliments his teammates more than Auba's would.

I don't think anyone would switch Jesus for Auba now when you see what Jesus brings that Auba just doesn't have in his game.
I agree with this, but I’m still not totally convinced that a manager only has one system that can succeed and needs to buy players of a profile that will suit that system. It seems crazy. I’ve never seen that happen at any other club. Even Pep who has bought a more traditional goal hanger, old fashioned style CF, has adapted his system to suit the player because he’s so good at what he does. They’re now banging in more crosses to get the goals instead of the more intricate stuff that Jesus and Sterling provided.

D

Deleted member 102404

Here's our 6 game rolling form under Arteta since he took over...
Notable is the lowest period - I don't think even Arteta's biggest fan could argue that he should not have been sacked at that point.
The trend upwards (red dotted line) is quite clear though - but it's punctuated by significant dips in form.
To get top 4 - staying above that solid red line, the main thing we need to do is bounce back after a loss. Too often last year we followed up a loss with another and another. That can't happen 3 or 4 times in a season for a top 4 side.
It's one of the big things I will look out for this season - when we lose a game, how do we play in the next? First example is the Utd game and we passed, but there will be more over the course of the season. Losses are ok, will happen over a season, 2 or 3 in a row are generally not.

form.png

Top Bottom