• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Jesus: Will He Score Again?

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

To say he has given up and was hiding was definitely harsh, as quite frankly he is doing the opposite.

I'm saying he shouldn't give up which the more he gets patted on the back for running around could happen.

I think some of you guys should look back to when Lacazette came into the fold and offered something different to Auba, the same people praising him then ended up chatting sh*t tbh, that's why I find it difficult to read some of this stuff from some of you.

I think he could be in the box a bit more and stay there, be a bit more ruthless. A nitpick, yes - harsh? I read what many of you say about players you don't like so no, I'm actually a Jesus fan and think he could score. Agree to disagree anyways.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
I think he could be in the box a bit more and stay there, be a bit more ruthless. A nitpick, yes - harsh? I read what many of you say about players you don't like so no, I'm actually a Jesus fan and think he could score. Agree to disagree anyways.

Not sure why this thread has descended into anarchy tbh, no one has really said anything outrageous (yet). It’s not that deep - Jesus can score more goals and would be nice if he did, but he’s doing great regardless.

Just on this above quoted point @Nacho - the way Arteta has drilled us to score goals is through overloads on certain areas of the pitch. The reason Jesus comes out so much is to create those overloads and cause chaos because we scare the absolute sh*t out of teams and they park Nimitz class aircraft carriers down in front of goal.

There’s still obviously times where he stays as the focal point but you’ll notice he comes out after the 10th sideways pass during the probing phase to help create an overload.

You might ask why we don’t try lower percentage balls into Jesus and he stays up - the way we commit bodies forward we can’t afford to keep turning over possession. It all adds up.

He needs to score more of the chances he does get though…

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Just to add to the above - it’s also very different to when lacazette dropped deep. He would just come out vertically. Jesus pulls out to the sides to create overloads. There is a clarity and purpose to what Jesus does and it comes from our system.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Just to add to the above - it’s also very different to when lacazette dropped deep. He would just come out vertically. Jesus pulls out to the sides to create overloads. There is a clarity and purpose to what Jesus does and it comes from our system.

I get the system, but none of you can convince me going 10 games without a goal was part of the plan.

In any case, I'd say give him the season before wish listing Toney. Arteta has surprised us with some of his squad decisions and it might happen again here, plus there's enough there to point at his lack of goals being bad luck.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
I get the system, but none of you can convince me going 10 games without a goal was part of the plan.
Ofc it’s not part of the plan. He keeps getting chances, part of the system’s design is to make a lot of chances for him. The plan would be for him to finish said chances. It just shows we can go up another level.

Anyway, not sure why you’d want him to camp the box against a block as low as Wolve’s yesterday. We needed to move and rotate to disrupt them, shift men around. Pretty sure he stays higher against teams who give us the space to work

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I'm saying he shouldn't give up which the more he gets patted on the back for running around could happen.

I think some of you guys should look back to when Lacazette came into the fold and offered something different to Auba, the same people praising him then ended up chatting sh*t tbh, that's why I find it difficult to read some of this stuff from some of you.

But wouldn't you only say that unless he was showing signs that this might be the case? And as I mentioned I think it's the opposite.

As for the other nonsense you've wrote, I have skimmed it and completely agree with you.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

In any case, I'd say give him the season before wish listing Toney. Arteta has surprised us with some of his squad decisions and it might happen again here, plus there's enough there to point at his lack of goals being bad luck.

Funny thing is you look at city and start to wonder if “upgrading” Jesus for a killer gets you more points over a season. I’m sure it gets you more goals over a season but points? Debateable.

I hope Arteta doesn’t try upgrade him for a killer type. Jesus is fkn rare man. I’m all for a Toney type but to throw up alongside Jesus late in games when we’re chasing goals.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
The thing with Jesus is, it's not an either or with him in terms of contributing to the team by dropping deep, getting involved in play and actually scoring goals. Working hard for the team isn't hindering him getting goalscoring opportunities.

He's enhancing the players around him with that stuff, no doubt. He's also still getting into good goal scoring opportunities on a regular basis. He's just not converting them.

Jesus is talented enough to enhance our all round game with his workrate and put away his chances a bit more clinically.
This isn't a Laca situation where it was an either or situation as he didn't have the engine to do the graft and get into goal scoring positions regularly.

We're not going to win the PL if no-one in our side scores over 15 PL goals.

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

we have the 2nd most goals scored in the league and Jesus is a key factor in that. I don't understand people looking at this system and thinking we need a striker who bags in loads of goals over one who takes the entire attack to another level. How is spreading your goals out evenly amongst the team a bad thing? If anything City kind of regressed by making them completely dependable on that freak doing all the scoring for them, because if Haaland gets injured for a period or hits a slump they're f*cked. With us, Jesus can hit a slump in the goal scoring but it just means our other players will keep taking turns in scoring them in his stead. That said Jesus has been phenomenally unlucky in front of goal lately and it will only be a matter of time until he starts scoring again.

D

Deleted member 102404

we have the 2nd most goals scored in the league and Jesus is a key factor in that. I don't understand people looking at this system and thinking we need a striker who bags in loads of goals over one who takes the entire attack to another level. How is spreading your goals out evenly amongst the team a bad thing? If anything City kind of regressed by making them completely dependable on that freak doing all the scoring for them, because if Haaland gets injured for a period or hits a slump they're f*cked. With us, Jesus can hit a slump in the goal scoring but it just means our other players will keep taking turns in scoring them in his stead. That said Jesus has been phenomenally unlucky in front of goal lately and it will only be a matter of time until he starts scoring again.

100% agree - the reason City will drop points this year (mores than last) is precisely because they've made the striker too important to their system. Haaland has scored about 50% of all their goals, but it only takes a game here and a game there where he's off and City struggle to win.

City are on a run rate of 86 points for the season - 7 points LESS than they got last season...but Haaland is on a run rate to get nearly 50 PL goals! Don't care how many Haaland scores, if the team is not as good, it's a poor addition to their team. Jesus has made a far far bigger impact to Arsenal than Haaland has to City.

Last edited by a moderator:

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Yeah the effect on “the system” is pronounced. City has become much more one dimensional and paradoxically in some ways simpler (not necessarily easier) to defend against even with Haaland.

They also now try more of those low percentage balls into Haaland as that’s their primary route to goal and as a result are conceding more chances on the counter and more goals as a result. They’re defence hasn’t suddenly gone worse, it’s the change in approach that exposes them more.

if anything all this does is further elevate Aguero. Guy was incredible. Haaland is a freak but Aguero was something else.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Slippin' Jimmy just copying AM as everyone does.

When we get back after the World Cup, I expect him to be criticizing Saka's shooting technique next!
Wouldn’t be surprised if these pundits using A-M for notes.

I swear I would :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

@Riou just watching the highlights now and it kind of irks me when people say he’s hit the bar as being lucky, when he should have just hit the target? I also remember most on here being convinced he would improve his goalscoring but now he’s not it isn’t a problem, it’s just kind of how it was meant to be the whole time? :lol:

Anyway I’m not going to speak on it anymore, will just see how things go before I get accused of being negative.

D

Deleted member 102404

@Riou just watching the highlights now and it kind of irks me when people say he’s hit the bar as being lucky, when he should have just hit the target? I also remember most on here being convinced he would improve his goalscoring but now he’s not it isn’t a problem, it’s just kind of how it was meant to be the whole time? :lol:

Anyway I’m not going to speak on it anymore, will just see how things go before I get accused of being negative.

Look on the positive side, if he does start to score more we'll be even better because right now he's missing chances (it's not like him starting scoring will take away goals from others).

I agree he should have lashed that chance in with his left foot. Just shows a lack of confidence.
The only reason it's not a problem right now at all is because we are top of the league and winning games. As long as that continues it's a non issue.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom