• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Jesus: Will He Score Again?

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
The thing with Jesus is, it's not an either or with him in terms of contributing to the team by dropping deep, getting involved in play and actually scoring goals. Working hard for the team isn't hindering him getting goalscoring opportunities.

He's enhancing the players around him with that stuff, no doubt. He's also still getting into good goal scoring opportunities on a regular basis. He's just not converting them.

Jesus is talented enough to enhance our all round game with his workrate and put away his chances a bit more clinically.
This isn't a Laca situation where it was an either or situation as he didn't have the engine to do the graft and get into goal scoring positions regularly.

We're not going to win the PL if no-one in our side scores over 15 PL goals.

He’s nothing like Laca and people should stop mentioning the latter’s name in this thread. They’re worlds apart.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Laca outscoring Messi in France, interesting.
Laca with 9 goals and 3 assists, Messi 7 goals and 10 assists and Neymar with 11 goals and 9 assists.

Every time I've looked at Lyon this season Laca was more in the box, so it makes sense that his output is better since he's doing what he's good at. He also could have scored more given the chances he's had in some games.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Definitely think the lead up to the Brazil selection has bothered him.

Looked a lot happier on the pitch yesterday despite not scoring.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Laca with 9 goals and 3 assists, Messi 7 goals and 10 assists and Neymar with 11 goals and 9 assists.

Every time I've looked at Lyon this season Laca was more in the box, so it makes sense that his output is better since he's doing what he's good at. He also could have scored more given the chances he's had in some games.

Nailed it. His final pass or shot is still decent and he doesn't have to do the running around stuff anymore and it's reflected in the numbers.

I never understood Arteta making someone do something they clearly couldn't do. Not only was 100% of the blame on the in-capabilities of Laca like it always is with Arteta, but Eddie was also right there who has the engine and the willingness.

Luckily Jesus has come in and we don't have to worry about it, but it makes me very reluctant to write off a player under Arteta.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Laca helped The Arsenal win their record 14th FA cup, plus a cheeky little Community Shield win too...so I agree, Jesus and Alex's name don't deserve to be compared.

As until little Gabby wins some silverware here, he is firmly below Laca-bloodclaat-zette in the order of Arsenal forwards!

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Hmmm which one do you think is more necessary for us to sign in January? A wide player or a 15-20+ goal striker with Jesus being an option out wide?

I’m starting to lean towards the latter tbh since those goals could be crucial in us winning the title.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
We literally saw the coaching staff tell Laca he needs to be in the box more when he was doing a less effective version of this.
So Steve Round has Jesus in one of those one vs one meetings showing him footage of Benzema’s movement in the box.

D

Deleted member 102404

Hmmm which one do you think is more necessary for us to sign in January? A wide player or a 15-20+ goal a striker with Jesus being an option out wide?

I’m starting to lean towards the latter tbh since those goals could be crucial in us winning the title.

Niether - I think if we are going to sign someone it should be in midfield.
Lakonga looks a goner.

ESR is coming back in Jan :fcrossed:
He's very effective wide left of an attacking 3...and actually will be like a new signing :)

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Let's add some context to these numbers:

Messi: 7 goals and 10 assists in 1132 minutes. 0 penalties.

Neymar: 11 goals and 9 assists in 1085 minutes. 2 penalties.

Lacazette: 9 goals and 3 assists in 1303 minutes. 2 penalties.

Obviously if you go into the more advanced stats Laca gets crushed, but that's to be expected.

And to counter the narrative on here of Laca being more of a box striker at Lyon: Laca is currently averaging around 70% more passes per game than he did last year for Arsenal. He is creating around double the amount of chances for teammates as well.

He is on average further up the pitch than the extremes we saw last season, no denying that. But the answer to his performances lie way more in the fact that the French league is pretty damn poor compared to the Prem. He's also missed a fairly significant amount of good chances this season, something he's done his entire career tbf, never was that clinical.

This is a compilation of him from this season:

The amount of time and space compared to the Prem is always eye catching to me when I watch Ligue 1.

But to summarize, obviously he's playing better than he did last season, but this isn't some incredible transformation. He's simply gotten a bit of confidence back and is playing around his 20/21 level, which is a 10-15 goal a season PL striker now playing in a much worse league, hence the number inflation.

D

Deleted member 102404

Let's add some context to these numbers:

Messi: 7 goals and 10 assists in 1132 minutes. 0 penalties.

Neymar: 11 goals and 9 assists in 1085 minutes. 2 penalties.

Lacazette: 9 goals and 3 assists in 1303 minutes. 2 penalties.

Obviously if you go into the more advanced stats Laca gets crushed, but that's to be expected.

And to counter the narrative on here of Laca being more of a box striker at Lyon: Laca is currently averaging around 70% more passes per game than he did last year for Arsenal. He is creating around double the amount of chances for teammates as well.

He is on average further up the pitch than the extremes we saw last season, no denying that. But the answer to his performances lie way more in the fact that the French league is pretty damn poor compared to the Prem. He's also missed a fairly significant amount of good chances this season, something he's done his entire career tbf, never was that clinical.

This is a compilation of him from this season:

The amount of time and space compared to the Prem is always eye catching to me when I watch Ligue 1.

But to summarize, obviously he's playing better than he did last season, but this isn't some incredible transformation. He's simply gotten a bit of confidence back and is playing around his 20/21 level, which is a 10-15 goal a season PL striker now playing in a much worse league, hence the number inflation.

Messi and Neymar stats mean very little IMO. They play for PSG in the French league. It's like a top PL side playing in the PL U23 league.
Generally it's a waste of time comparing stats across leagues or even in some cases, like in France, within leagues. The gap in standards vs the opposition faced are just way too variable

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Hmmm which one do you think is more necessary for us to sign in January? A wide player or a 15-20+ goal a striker with Jesus being an option out wide?

Tough question this. I’d go wide player in January and then 2nd striker in the summer (assuming we’re cutting Eddie - love him but he’s not the one).

My reasoning being I don’t think the team / arteta can change our mode of attack mid season. Also not sure we “need” to - Jesus pulling out and creating chances is getting us goals and it’s very hard to defend against.

In the summer Tets can get a new striker in and actually get the team to work on a plan B. It’s clear to me that he’s a very “systems” manager and needs time with the players to drill patterns into them. The revolution over last summer was mind boggling.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
It’s not one or the other :lol: we clearly need at least 2 signings to challenge for the title. I think a CF transforms this side and gives us a different dimension.
If we’re serious about this title charge we need a minimum of 2 signings in Jan… attacker and midfielder. Anything less is unacceptable.

D

Deleted member 102404

It’s not one or the other :lol: we clearly need at least 2 signings to challenge for the title. I think a CF transforms this side and gives us a different dimension.

You're assuming though that the existing players can not continue to do what they are doing - i.e. be 5pts clear over 14 games. Why can't they be 10 points clear after 28 games?
I struggle to see what different dimension we need given the results.

I get that it's perhaps prudent to try and cover all the bases - but nothing is really ever assured. We could sign a new striker and be worse off. Look at City. They have a brilliant striker who has scored 18 goals in 14 games, yet they are on course to finish with less points than they did last year. I don't think the changes they made have really helped them at all, but they certainly have another dimension to their game!

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Hmmm which one do you think is more necessary for us to sign in January? A wide player or a 15-20+ goal striker with Jesus being an option out wide?

To me it’s still a wide player. The way we play is so reliant on having pace and 1v1 threat out wide, the whole makeup of the team is geared to getting Saka and Martinelli on the ball high up the pitch, if one of those goes down we are not the same team.

Top Bottom