• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I've watched some games at the beginning of the season where he was really bad. I've also watched the last couple of games, where Leicester as a whole played much better, with Tielemans higher on the pitch (more as a 10).

I've watched every game for Belgium, as I'm Belgian :p He'll probably be paired with Witsel in midfield, and my guess is it will be painfull to watch since neither of them is running into spaces.

It's funny you say that because that's Youri by definition: altering performances. I agree with you though he's probably better than Vieira and certainly more ready. I am curious what Arteta could do with this man, but at this point he would not start for Arsenal.

I think we agree. He's a steal at that price point. But he will be backup IF we get him.
There is no need to think in terms of "backup". It's about getting quality depth. In this case we could rest Ødegaard or Xhaka, and the level doesn't drop much, or maybe at all.

That's not the case with Vieira, Elneny or Sambi. ESR is a total question mark regarding staying fit or being able to play CMF at this point.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I've watched some games at the beginning of the season where he was really bad. I've also watched the last couple of games, where Leicester as a whole played much better, with Tielemans higher on the pitch (more as a 10).

I've watched every game for Belgium, as I'm Belgian :p He'll probably be paired with Witsel in midfield, and my guess is it will be painfull to watch since neither of them is running into spaces.

It's funny you say that because that's Youri by definition: altering performances. I agree with you though he's probably better than Vieira and certainly more ready. I am curious what Arteta could do with this man, but at this point he would not start for Arsenal.

I think we agree. He's a steal at that price point. But he will be backup IF we get him.
This is why I’m not fan. He operates in small area and yes tidy on the ball. Even at Leicester when playing further up you don’t see him run much into space or create space with his running. He relies on others to run for him and he didn’t have that in Monaco hence why he flopped so hard in France

drippin

This is why I’m not fan. He operates in small area and yes tidy on the ball. Even at Leicester when playing further up you don’t see him run much into space or create space with his running. He relies on others to run for him and he didn’t have that in Monaco hence why he flopped so hard in France
Who would you buy for 15-20 million in January if not Tielemans? Or would you depend on Vieira, Elneny, Sambi and ESR?

GDeep™

League is very weak
This guy has been poor to average for two years. Im sure he’ll be the greatest thing since sliced bread when we sign him though and no bad word will be allowed to say.

drippin

The player would rather leave on a free too, financially better for him.
He will surely still benefit from having that short contract, in getting better wages or bonuses in signing. Not as much maybe as in summer. But coming to Arsenal he also has a chance to win EPL and UEL this season, especially as he improves our depth so much.

Last edited:

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

That's certainly a possibility, if they think the risk to relegate is too big and they can't buy any proper replacement.
As @GDeep™ said it’s also unlikely the player wants a move now. 1st of Han he can speak to any club outside pl and 3 months later with pl clubs. He is go on free and make boatload of money on signing on fee

TornadoTed

Established Member
I think this is one of those cases where stats aren’t telling you the full picture. Tielemens would be a horror show in DM because his positioning is awful. Idk what stats there are that would back this up. It’s one of (if not THE) most important aspects of being a DM. Gilberto Silva is the best example. He wasn’t really elite at anything but his positioning was WC. Tielemens don’t got it. Would much rather have ElNeny in DM. Tielemens is fine as a Xhaka replacement.

But then so is Vieira. Potentially ESR. I’m not sold on this transfer. I do agree that it’s a great opportunity to get a good player for cheap. But he will eat in to our wage bill, which we’ve worked very very hard to sort out. He doesn’t start for me. Idk. I’m not against it, I’m just not frothing at the idea.
This is the issue for me. He is a good player and obviously much better than Lokonga but he isn't as good as Partey, Xhaka and Ødegaard for me. That means he will be largely a rotation player, which is fine on say £80-100k per week tops but I think he is going to want far more than that. Especially as he can get a nice fat signing on bonus in the Summer when he is a free agent.

drippin

This is the issue for me. He is a good player and obviously much better than Lokonga but he isn't as good as Partey, Xhaka and Ødegaard for me. That means he will be largely a rotation player, which is fine on say £80-100k per week tops but I think he is going to want far more than that. Especially as he can get a nice fat signing on bonus in the Summer when he is a free agent.
Here is a comparison of Xhaka vs Tielemans in their whole EPL career. Take into account that Tielemans came to EPL 1,5 younger than Xhaka, which is quite much for a midfielder. Their age difference is almost 5 years so Tielemans is only coming to his prime.

You can look at possession, and see that overall Tielemans has had a bit more attacking touches than Xhaka, of course this season evens it out.

Defensively you can see that Tielemans is dribbled past 1.60 vs 1.04 per 90. Otherwise only in clearances Xhaka has better stats basically. Recoveries and aerial percentage are almost same. Xhaka has been better passer thus far with about 85% vs 80% in whole EPL career. But I assume Tielemans has gotten better there as he gets older.

Tielemans has somewhat better attacking stats and shot creating actions.

I'm not sure where this comes from that Tielemans can't be as good as Xhaka or Ødegaard. It's the level we need. He was very highly rated before last year when he lost motivation as he hasn't got his move. Pretty sure he would have better stats playing for Arsenal than Leicester, Leicester has been bad for a while which affects his stats.

Arsenal is at a point where we need quality rotation, and with 80-100k per week you can't get that. Maybe someone like Seko Fofana from Ligue 1, but then you have to pay much bigger transfer fee, especially as Lens is fighting for UCL spots so that move likely isn't possible in January. They're currently 2nd after PSG, with a 5 point lead to the next club. And Fofana is 2 years older and not EPL proven.

Press "toggle per 90" for all.

Last edited:

maxxspeed

Here is a comparison of Xhaka vs Tielemans in their whole EPL career. Take into account that Tielemans came to EPL 1,5 younger than Xhaka, which is quite much for a midfielder. Their age difference is almost 5 years so Tielemans is only coming to his prime.

You can look at possession, and see that overall Tielemans has had a bit more attacking touches than Xhaka, of course this season evens it out.

Defensively you can see that Tielemans is dribbled past 1.60 vs 1.04 per 90. Otherwise only in clearances Xhaka has better stats basically. Recoveries and aerial percentage are almost same. Xhaka has been better passer thus far with about 85% vs 80% in whole EPL career. But I assume Tielemans has gotten better there as he gets older.

Tielemans has somewhat better attacking stats and shot creating actions.

I'm not sure where this comes from that Tielemans can't be as good as Xhaka or Ødegaard. It's the level we need. He was very highly rated before last year when he lost motivation as he hasn't got his move. Pretty sure he would have better stats playing for Arsenal than Leicester, Leicester has been bad for a while which affects his stats.

Arsenal is at a point where we need quality rotation, and with 80-100k per week you can't get that. Maybe someone like Seko Fofana from Ligue 1, but then you have to pay much bigger transfer fee, especially as Lens is fighting for UCL spots so that move likely isn't possible in January. They're currently 2nd after PSG, with a 5 point lead to the next club. And Fofana is 2 years older and not EPL proven.

Press "toggle per 90" for all.

That's all good, but the eye test stats show he's slow and has low stamina.

drippin

You do get the gut feeling that if Arteta was really interested, we would have moved in the summer.
Arteta isn't going to pay 40+ million for a player with a year in contract. Luiz wasn't sold for 25 million with a year in contract, and Tielemans is clearly the superior player and worth very much to Leicester even with a year in contract.

drippin

That's all good, but the eye test stats show he's slow and has low stamina.
Xhaka is slow too. Not the best stamina maybe, but he is an ambitious player, long time professional, who likely finds new flame when he gets his transfer finally.

In any case, he would be coming for a rotational role, so no need to play full 90 minutes non-stop.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Arteta isn't going to pay 40+ million for a player with a year in contract. Luiz wasn't sold for 25 million with a year in contract, and Tielemans is clearly the superior player and worth very much to Leicester even with a year in contract.
Not sure that would have been the price. We will see how this pans out this window. Foxestalk seems convinced that they will sell if they get a bid in the £15m range. I don't expect any movement until Belgium is knocked out.

drippin

Not sure that would have been the price. We will see how this pans out this window. Foxestalk seems convinced that they will sell if they get a bid in the £15m range. I don't expect any movement until Belgium is knocked out.
Villa had some cover for Luiz and still didn't sell him for 25 million pounds with a year in contract. Clubs value players in similar ways, and Leicester & Villa are similar level clubs. Leicester paid 28 million euros more for Tielemans than Villa for Luiz.

So you can be certain that the price wasn't 25 million pounds. Tielemans is much more rated player (Luiz is pretty average), so because the transfer didn't happen, I assume they asked for too much, and it's likely they wanted their money back which was 45 million euros.

Romano says they wanted 35-40 million euros, which would surely be too much for Arteta for a player with a year in contract. But this is quite similar amount to what I assume Villa wanted for Luiz who is worse.

Now Arsenal has a chance for the title, so I assume they're willing to spend 15-20 million for Tielemans.

"Leicester City are holding out for between 35 and 40 million euros for midfield man Youri Tielemans, according to transfer journalist Fabrizio Romano."

maxxspeed

Xhaka is slow too. Not the best stamina maybe, but he is an ambitious player, long time professional, who likely finds new flame when he gets his transfer finally.

In any case, he would be coming for a rotational role, so no need to play full 90 minutes non-stop.
That's a big misconception that Xhaka is slow, he isn't he's just not nimble.

drippin

That's a big misconception that Xhaka is slow, he isn't he's just not nimble.
Well I watched Xhaka try to catch Xavi Simons with Sambi in the middle agains PSV, and both very equally slow in that run at least.

So you would then suggest that Sambi isn't slow either.

Btw. they didn't catch him at all even with Simons having the ball in his feet and looking for options to pass while running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom