• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Jesus: "Goals are not my strong point"

D

Deleted member 102404

True, but If we buy's someone and he plays very good, I think it's wrong to call the player a failure. It would suggest that the rest of the team are not putting in good performances.

Fair enough.
We can have different views.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I added Laca because football is a team sport. After signing Auba we actually lost 6 of the 13 PL games we played to end that season and ended up outside the top 4. Don't tell me he had any major impact on us after signing in January. We'd lost 7 in 25 before that. If we sign a striker and he scores 20 in 20, but we end up losing half our games and finishing 4th or 5th, would you tell me that player helped us win a title? No.

I did not say Bentancour and and Kulusevksi could not be factored in - I am saying that it is actually very rare for a player signed in January to have much of an impact on the team. Exceptions to the rule can always be listed.

Same answer with Arshavin. How did we progress as a team? We didn't win anything, nor did we do better than we had the season before when he came in. Didn't really change anything about us. In fact I don't think we won a single trophy with him? The signing of Arshavin was a 'meh' - big expectation , nothing delivered. Great player for sure, but certainly will not go down as any kind of catalyst for progress.

That’s an invalid point as you can’t assess a signing based on another players form. It’s like me saying Jesus has been an underwhelming signing because of Nketiah not producing the goods, what link do the two have together? Have never seen that sort of thinking 🤣

You have to break down the way you’re judging these January signings it seems as if you’re confusing yourself, so nothing is clear:

- Are you basing it on instant impact? Because the players I listed hit the ground running.

- If not, are you basing a signing on the impact they had on the complete team or as an individual? If it’s as a team then it’s quite harsh as if there are gaps in other areas of the team then what can a striker do? Aubameyang scored 10 goals in 14 games in 17/18, is it his fault if bums like Kolasinac, Mustafi, Cech etc are leaking in goals?

- I suspect you’re judging this on long term effect of a team but please clarify this? Because if that’s the territory you’re going for then Suarez, Vidic, Evra, Matic, Ivanovic, Adebayor, Dzeko, Laporte, Tielemans were all signed in the January window. What impact did they have long term to the teams they were playing for?

tenor.gif

D

Deleted member 102404

That’s an invalid point as you can’t assess a signing based on another players form. It’s like me saying Jesus has been an underwhelming signing because of Nketiah not producing the goods, what link do the two have together? Have never seen that sort of thinking 🤣

You have to break down the way you’re judging these January signings it seems as if you’re confusing yourself, so nothing is clear:

- Are you basing it on instant impact? Because the players I listed hit the ground running.

- If not, are you basing a signing on the impact they had on the complete team or as an individual? If it’s as a team then it’s quite harsh as if there are gaps in other areas of the team then what can a striker do? Aubameyang scored 10 goals in 14 games in 17/18, is it his fault if bums like Kolasinac, Mustafi, Cech etc are leaking in goals?

- I suspect you’re judging this on long term effect of a team but please clarify this? Because if that’s the territory you’re going for then Suarez, Vidic, Evra, Matic, Ivanovic, Adebayor, Dzeko, Laporte, Tielemans were all signed in the January window. What impact did they have long term to the teams they were playing for?

tenor.gif

Your anology was not the same at all.

Anyway, the point is If you make signings in January and the team doesn’t improve it’s not a successful window that influenced that season.
Simple as that.
Don’t think that’s controversial or debatable.

I couldn’t care less about individual achievements in team sport.
In the majority of cases January signings don’t improve a teams fortunes in the following few months.

As for this Jan, don’t think we need any signings other than perhaps a midfielder.
Certainly don’t think we’re doomed if we don’t make signings.
/shrugs

Last edited by a moderator:

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
My player of the season so far. After Xhaka. And Saka. And prob Saliba.

Sorry my boy Gabi, no medla for u

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service

The way he gets the nudge off before the sky-pluck touch is just incredible, seen this a few times from him this season.

Sometimes I think Arsenal have three target men

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The way he gets the nudge off before the sky-pluck touch is just incredible, seen this a few times from him this season.

Sometimes I think Arsenal have three target men
Most talented player we’ve had since the days of Santi, Alexis, Özil.

Crazy that we used to have three players like that in the same lineup.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Most talented player we’ve had since the days of Santi, Alexis, Özil.

Crazy that we used to have three players like that in the same lineup.
Can’t say I totally agree with you, but I’m glad we can come together over our love for Gabi 😍

Top Bottom