• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Loss FA Cup 4th Round: Manchester City 1 - 0 Arsenal | Friday 27th, January | KO: 20:00 GMT | ITV

Status
Not open for further replies.

0_cityarsenalblog.jpg

Play the kids and bin this. Don't show our hand until we play them Feb 15th.

Screenshot-20230123-130238.png

3473fff4-f2b9-43c2-9b4f-0cf508ac3666.png

Prediction

Man city 2-1 Arsenal

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Isn't it bad to rest players for 2 weeks when they are playing once a week? Seems unneccesary and bad, they should be focused and playing imo
An ocassional rest shouldn't kill all momentum. I think Saka has looked somewhat tired before in latter stages of the match. He's been relied on so much for a youngster, which is why I think a mini break wouldn't do him harm. For Partey it's not so much rest as it is injured, of course it's not a guarantee he won't get injured, but with City's 'tactical foul' playstyle I can imagine he'll get a few knocks.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Feel like a narrow defeat here (can't be too heavy like AG says, could have a knock on effect like in 2008) and us beating Everton next weekend with Sp**s getting something v City, are key for us...if those results happen, I think we will win the title.

We still have the Europa anyway, so it's not like we only have the league if we lose this...a small rest here and there, will help our small squad.

Love the FA cup, but with our squad size we could do with going out here.

arsmntfooty

Player:Partey
FA cup is a great traditional trophy that deserves more respect. Arsenal holds the record number of cups and that should be more celebrated than it is. That being said, I do understand the fans that think that the FA cup fades compared to the league. If Arsenal were winning the league like in the prime Wenger days I think the FA cup would be held in greater regard. Unfortunately it has been so long since the last PL title that the league is all the fans care about.

And to be honest, I cant blame them. There is nothing more in this world I want than to see Arsenal winning that league title yet again. Looking back at those years with Arsenal and United competing about the title and remembering how it felt seeing the players lift that trophy brings a tear to my eye. As much as the FA Cup is a better trophy than it gets respect for, that league title is literally the number one title. FA, league cup, hell even CL... Nothing screams proper elite team more than the PL trophy
In 2006, with no soccer team, after college class, went to Irish pub to watch CL Final with Barca fan. Those were my first emotions of soccer at club level. Game ended, depressed for a couple of weeks. That’s when I came a supporter, and The Arsenal grabbed my heart. This year is feels like 07/08 all over again. ‘We’ve got super Mik Arteta, he knows exactly what we need’. He’ll make the right choice. COYG!

arsmntfooty

Trossard in for Martinelli and Turner in for Ramsdale. Big game for Matty Turner as I feel more secure with him in goal than Ramsdale tbf. I think he can already start at a bunch of PL clubs. Had a great WC. Hope to see him get that clean sheet and put himself in contention for a PL start.
Maybe post for different thread, but how much longer will we keep him until he’s sold?His form good enough to start prem between the sticks.

arsmntfooty

Anytime we had an injury under Arteta he has managed to raise the team and players during it. Eddie's improvement started with injury to Lacazette during the run in last season. When Saka went off against Nottingham forest, Nelson came in and scored two goals. I am certain, if we lose Partey, someone will step in. It might make it difficult for us for a few games. But eventually someone will step up.
Just like last year, when we lost champions league due to Partey’s injury? Sure Arteta is very tactically adept, but there’s no one in squad to replace partey. No Partey = no PL title. Also tell me when Partey’s injuries have only lasted a few games? And not months.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Love the FA cup, but with our squad size we could do with going out here.

You don’t post as much as you used to, and now you’re letting good sense prevail over your nostalgic fetishising over the FA Cup? You ok hun?

Dont care about the Fa cup, won it enough times but I want us to put on a good show so the players believe we can compete with city in the run in. Rest Partey, and I want to see Trossard start. That’s about it.

arsmntfooty

Honestly, it's a bit of a small club mentality think we can only compete in one competition. Players can play once a week without getting injured, it's normal practice. You can't assume people are getting injured as soon as they don't play in the PL ffs :lol:. Would be different if it was already in the bag like in CL. Imagine being thomas partey and your coach says "m8 you can't play once a week, you'll get injured". :lol:
Usually, managers keep a similar mindset in these competitions, until semis or final. Super Arteta kept Partey out from 3rd round fixture against Oxford. That was same situation as Man City match no other match until following week. Tell me why he would change philosophy in 4th round of this cup game? You say it’s small club mindset, I’d say Mikel told something else to Partey during week before match day. Save ego for PL. with that said, I think he plays lineup similar to 3rd round lineup below, even though I’d wish he goes youth and 2nd string like Wenger:

ESR NKETIAH SAKA
Lokonga Neny Viera
Tierney Gabriel Holding Tomi
Turner

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
You don’t post as much as you used to, and now you’re letting good sense prevail over your nostalgic fetishising over the FA Cup? You ok hun?

Dont care about the Fa cup, won it enough times but I want us to put on a good show so the players believe we can compete with city in the run in. Rest Partey, and I want to see Trossard start. That’s about it.

All our back up players are fine for a team getting Top 4 but since we are ahead of schedule and in a title challenge now, I am skeptical if they are good enough to win the league.

So we have to keep as many first team players (the midfield and centre backs especially) as fit to start as many league game as possible.

The FA cup is the greatest domestic cup in the world, but it can be a bit of a poisoned chalice if you are going for the two major trophies, especially with your depth.

It cost us getting a Premier and Champions league double in 2004, and we had a better and more experienced squad back then.

We really have to prioritise here, imo.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

All our back up players are fine for a team getting Top 4 but since we are ahead of schedule and in a title challenge now, I am skeptical if they are good enough to win the league.

So we have to keep as many first team players (the midfield and centre backs especially) as fit to start as many league game as possible.

Ufff too much sense. You’re just trolling me now.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

It will be a tough decision to make whether we start a few of our general sub players over our PL starters or still the majority of our top team.

Turner
Tomiyasu Holding/White Gabriel/Kiwior Tierney
El Neny Lokonga
Viera
Saka/Martinelli Trossard ESR.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

An ocassional rest shouldn't kill all momentum. I think Saka has looked somewhat tired before in latter stages of the match. He's been relied on so much for a youngster, which is why I think a mini break wouldn't do him harm. For Partey it's not so much rest as it is injured, of course it's not a guarantee he won't get injured, but with City's 'tactical foul' playstyle I can imagine he'll get a few knocks.
You can say that, but his best game of the season was arguably last game. There will be 3 games against them, if we lose this one hard because partey ain't playing it's very bad for morale.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Usually, managers keep a similar mindset in these competitions, until semis or final. Super Arteta kept Partey out from 3rd round fixture against Oxford. That was same situation as Man City match no other match until following week. Tell me why he would change philosophy in 4th round of this cup game? You say it’s small club mindset, I’d say Mikel told something else to Partey during week before match day. Save ego for PL. with that said, I think he plays lineup similar to 3rd round lineup below, even though I’d wish he goes youth and 2nd string like Wenger:

ESR NKETIAH SAKA
Lokonga Neny Viera
Tierney Gabriel Holding Tomi
Turner
Surely you are not comparing city to Oxford? It's obviously reasonable to rest players versus clearly inferior teams. It's more of a team than competition mindset imo. It's different to rotate vs our league-race opponent. Giving city a win to rest key players is so weak minded imo. It could also be devastating to morale.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

On the other hand if we lose Partey for any length of time, regardless of the result, we lose the chance to win the Premier League. I know which I prefer.
Are you sure we should play him vs city at all then? What if he gets injured? Should we lose all competitions always and create a "we can only play in the premier league" mentality? What's its saying to the players that we cant compete in both a cup and premier league? What happens next year when cl is around? Are we screwed?

I prefer we beat the **** out of city in the cup and then beat them in the pl. No injuries.

I'm sure Arteta will play the strongest team, because thats what he should do. Clear different understanding of the game by Managers and fans fortunately.

Tom Mix

Are you sure we should play him vs city at all then? What if he gets injured? Should we lose all competitions always and create a "we can only play in the premier league" mentality? What's its saying to the players that we cant compete in both a cup and premier league? What happens next year when cl is around? Are we screwed?

I prefer we beat the **** out of city in the cup and then beat them in the pl. No injuries.

I'm sure Arteta will play the strongest team, because thats what he should do. Clear different understanding of the game by Managers and fans fortunately.
We have to play him in the league because that's our main target. I wouldn't risk him in the FA Cup unless/until we're still in it and the league is lost.

It's a squad game and you should be rotating/resting players anyway. So it makes sense to rest our key players in the most dispensable competition ie the FA Cup.

Artemis

We need a "managed defeat".

I'm simply not interested in this FA cup tie. I'll be spending all game praying that we don't get an injury to a key player. We need our first XI fit & ready for the PL game against City so we can roast them.

We don't have the squad depth to fight on multiple fronts.

The funny thing is, if we really wanted to win the FA cup this year, we could do it confortably. All we really would need to concentrate on is getting past City because I would be confident we could steamroll the rest and lift the trophy. Probably the easiest year to win it actually (if we got past City).

But not worth going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom