• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu Gaspar

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Main reason that Edu gets hate on here is that he backed Arteta against the AM brain trust.

Sad.
If you genuinely think that’s the case then that’s what’s sad.

You’ve gone full agenda, seeing them where they don’t exist. Next stage is seeing them in real life and I hope you don’t get there 🙏🏾

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

What has the Willian transfer got to do with this? Them playing for the same team before is of no importance or consequence. Luckily there isn't a magic rule that means that ex chelsea players won't play well if they transfer to Arsenal.
Yep.

EebE0wWXsAINmvq

blrgooner

Established Member
Thought we were in for Rice also? I do wonder how many candidates a team should have for midfield when looking? 3 seems alright, 5?10? And they should be available during winter transfer? Winter transfer window is always weird.

Ødegaard, ramsdale, ben white and Tomi was great last season also.
Well the number itself doesn't matter. We could have gone in with 20 players in mind but if all of them are "unattainable" , there is an issue.
Rice for example never seemed to be an option in this window.
Agree with ode, ramsdale and Tomi but there was not much of competition there from other top teams. I think that's there point @db10_therza is making when he says what we need to reach the top and what we need once we are there are not the same things. Having said that, Man City seem to never get into bidding wars but have done quite well.

drippin

Having said that, Man City seem to never get into bidding wars but have done quite well.
Exactly. FFP is real, so if you don't overpay non-stop, you will be able to build a better squad. With the trajectory Arsenal has had, it can finally start to have that attraction for top players, UCL qualification is a big influence on that.

Edu has worked with UEL "attraction", or even no European football, for his whole time here. People don't seem to understand these circumstances. It's a bit similar when people wanted to sack Arteta, while I tried to tell them that the squad is mediocre for modern football, it will take time especially because of FFP limits.

Frankly I find these "fire Edu in the summer" suggestions totally ridiculous. I can't even explain how ridiculous it looks, I bet there would be some gif that can explain the feeling, but can't bother to search it. You don't break a team like Edu & Arteta, who has got Arsenal where they are now, just because your panties got twisted that in January window they don't do totally un-Arsenal like thing and pay a record fee for like 30 million over the last record. And they almost even did that with Mudryk, and Chelsea with their insane spending got in between (mostly because they got long-term injuries to two important wingers).

Also I remember all those bashing Edu about sales in a covid market, from a team in crisis. Now look at Tottenham canceling Doherty's contract and giving him for free to Atletico. Boehly will have the same problems next summer especially for all their worst deadwood. Again, people don't seem to understand the circumstances.

Next summer there are huge amount of options for midfield with short contracts and other good possibilities. That's very likely the reason they extended Elneny for this season, to go full blast in the next summer's midfield market. It's totally different than trying to get a long-term target from Brighton in January, who are having a great season and might get to Europe first time ever.

People are going to be surprised what Edu will do next summer, especially if Arsenal wins the league. But I bet it will be put down to luck, "easy deals", or because Arsenal has now UCL so it's easy as hell and he is bad in his job anyway.

Last edited:

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Exactly. FFP is real, so if you don't overpay non-stop, you will be able to build a better squad. With the trajectory Arsenal has had, it can finally start to have that attraction for top players, UCL qualification is a big influence on that.

Edu has worked with UEL "attraction", or even no European football, for his whole time here. People don't seem to understand these circumstances. It's a bit similar when people wanted to sack Arteta, while I tried to tell them that the squad is mediocre for modern football, it will take time especially because of FFP limits.

Frankly I find these "fire Edu in the summer" suggestions totally ridiculous. I can't even explain how ridiculous it looks, I bet there would be some gif that can explain the feeling, but can't bother to search it. You don't break a team like Edu & Arteta, who has got Arsenal where they are now, just because your panties got twisted that in January window they don't do totally un-Arsenal like thing and pay a record fee for like 30 million over the last record. And they almost even did that with Mudryk, and Chelsea with their insane spending got in between (mostly because they got long-term injuries to two important wingers).

Also I remember all those bashing Edu about sales in a covid market, from a team in crisis. Now look at Tottenham canceling Doherty's contract and giving him for free to Atletico. Boehly will have the same problems next summer especially for all their worst deadwood. Again, people don't seem to understand the circumstances.

Next summer there are huge amount of options for midfield with short contracts and other good possibilities. That's very likely the reason they extended Elneny for this season, to go full blast in the next summer's midfield market. It's totally different than trying to get a long-term target from Brighton in January, who are having a great season and might get to Europe first time ever.

People are going to be surprised what Edu will do next summer, especially if Arsenal wins the league. But I bet it will be put down to luck, "easy deals", or because Arsenal has now UCL so it's easy as hell and he is bad in his job anyway.

Nice 👌

I think peoples main concerns with Edu is the ability to get deals across the line, esp where there is competition from other clubs for real top talent - see Mydryk. Thankfully we had the Trossard situation literally fall into our laps. What if he didnt throw a strop at Brighton. We might just have Martinelli still. The flipside is we are savvy enough to pounce on those situations.

Moving forward & on the basis we will be in CL & competitive in the league, we will be able to attract a higher calibre of player & this will inevitably mean competing with other top clubs. This is where Edu will earn his money & I think a lot of us have doubts about his ability to get deals done.

We have been slow & ponderous in the market for season upon season & DoF at Shakhtar has said we offered same money as Chelsea but their structure was a lot better. We just have to learn from these mistakes.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli

Idk what other people think and whether people actually “want him gone in the summer” or it’s just bluster for effect. I suspect it’s the latter.

On my part, I need Edu to show me that he can pull off a complex deal. It’s a pretty important part of his job description. If, this summer, he pulls it off, then great. My fears will be allayed and all will be well. Where we’re at right now is that someone us have fears because he’s never pulled off a complex deal, and others don’t share those fears. Telling us those fears are irrational though? When they’re very much grounded in the reality that he is like what 3 for 0? Bit much no?

If he doesn’t pull it off this summer though, then heads should roll. I don’t give a toss about excuses and mitigating circumstances. Because those ALWAYS exist. Again, dealing with them is part of his job description.

Know what happens to people who can’t deliver on their job description?

drippin

Idk what other people think and whether people actually “want him gone in the summer” or it’s just bluster for effect. I suspect it’s the latter.

On my part, I need Edu to show me that he can pull off a complex deal. It’s a pretty important part of his job description. If, this summer, he pulls it off, then great. My fears will be allayed and all will be well. Where we’re at right now is that someone us have fears because he’s never pulled off a complex deal, and others don’t share those fears. Telling us those fears are irrational though? When they’re very much grounded in the reality that he is like what 3 for 0? Bit much no?

If he doesn’t pull it off this summer though, then heads should roll. I don’t give a toss about excuses and mitigating circumstances. Because those ALWAYS exist. Again, dealing with them is part of his job description.

Know what happens to people who can’t deliver on their job description?
Can't pull complex deals? What was Jesus with a year in contract? Many top clubs were after him which was totally expected, and UEL Arsenal got him for 45 million. One of the best deals this year. But I'm sure you find excuses why you can't give Edu any credit for it.

Funny you say Edu hasn't delivered on his job description. Take a look around where Arsenal is and how the squad is rebuilt, only needing a couple top players, which they already tried to get this January which is a difficult market as anyone should know.

Yes if he botches next summer, I join you, but you don't care about circumstances, so you can't see why his earlier business has been what it has. So there's no use even to explain those to you. You will be surprised in the summer.

"Six clubs approached agents of Gabriel Jesus but his priority has always been Arsenal - director Edu and Mikel Arteta, key to complete the deal."

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

View attachment 12831
Two dislikes and one just straight up laughing off my post 🤣🤣
@WhatAFC let's hear it then?!

Went and found them and threw some dislikes on there too, great idea.

I think you and Blood constantly talking greazy about the director just because he didn't sign 21 year olds for record fees in the middle of Jan is poo poo behaviour.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Can't pull complex deals? What was Jesus with a year in contract? Many top clubs were after him which was totally expected, and UEL Arsenal got him for 45 million. One of the best deals this year. But I'm sure you find excuses why you can't give Edu any credit for it.

Funny you say Edu hasn't delivered on his job description. Take a look around where Arsenal is and how the squad is rebuilt, only needing a couple top players, which they already tried to get this January which is a difficult market as anyone should know.

Yes if he botches next summer, I join you, but you don't care about circumstances, so you can't see why his earlier business has been what it has. So there's no use even to explain those to you. You will be surprised in the summer.

"Six clubs approached agents of Gabriel Jesus but his priority has always been Arsenal - director Edu and Mikel Arteta, key to complete the deal."

I'm glad you brought this up because

Not every player will have a year left on their deal, had a relationship with Edu, have worked with Arteta in the past and have a year left on their contract. Everything I said is true yet...you're going to say that wasn't an easy transfer to pull off? That all falls in the 'easy deal' side of things.

Having multiple clubs interested in him is a weak, weak opposing argument and pretty much the only thing in the 'it was an easy deal' camp.

But forget all that, you think after the season we're having now we're going to get any favours from Man City? Do you think Chelsea would have sold us Jorginho if they were 2nd instead of 10th?

The majority of the deals we've pulled off in the past are simply not going to be good enough anymore. Staying at the top is a completely different ball game.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Judge Edu in September. I think judging him on the Jan windows is harsh.
I'm not making any definitive statements on him but for a while now I've thought he's a guy just doing what you'd expect really. Playing it safe, signing guys nobody's fighting for for fees that selling clubs are happy to accept.

It being a January window is another in the long list of valid (key word: valid!) excuses that he's had made for him. But as db10 said, when are things ever plain sailing?

Let's see what he pulls off in summer. I'm just not expecting much unless the stars align.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli

Fine. He’s 1 for 4. Happy?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Playing it safe, signing guys nobody's fighting for for fees that selling clubs are happy to accept.

A club not in Europe or in the Europa at best probably has to sign nobodies for a while. It's not excuses it's just context. 1st place for 6 months I guess expectations grew, but the budget did not.

It being a January window is another in the long list of valid excuses that he's had made for him. But as db10 said, when are things ever plain sailing?

Excuses or factors? January was never a good window to begin with but throw in a very recent world cup bumping up the prices into the mix and a wildcard named Boehly it really was unprecedented.

Who really killed it this Jan? Arsenal and Chelsea were the busiest clubs.

Let's see what he pulls off in summer. I'm just not expecting much unless the stars align.

Arsenal's best work in the transfer market is usually done in the summer. Signing hype names isn't a proper criteria just a preference. If the player works, they work but lets see.

drippin

I'm glad you brought this up because

Not every player will have a year left on their deal, had a relationship with Edu, have worked with Arteta in the past and have a year left on their contract. Everything I said is true yet...you're going to say that wasn't an easy transfer to pull off? That all falls in the 'easy deal' side of things.

Having multiple clubs interested in him is a weak, weak opposing argument and pretty much the only thing in the 'it was an easy deal' camp.

But forget all that, you think after the season we're having now we're going to get any favours from Man City? Do you think Chelsea would have sold us Jorginho if they were 2nd instead of 10th?

The majority of the deals we've pulled off in the past are simply not going to be good enough anymore. Staying at the top is a completely different ball game.
Yeah, just like I assumed, no credit to Edu at all. Naturally UEL Arsenal is a top draw for one of the most sought after players in the world.

Players don't necessarily give a damn about some certain manager when big clubs come, or someone pays much more money. Even Chelsea wanted him, and we know they pay over the top.

Btw. Edu planned the whole deal in January, by not getting an expensive stop-gap striker and trusting Nketiah.

You will be surprised too. You have never seen Edu manage a club who has UCL.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom