• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu Gaspar

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I guess where we differ is using Chelsea as an excuse. I agree that Todd was moving like a mad man but in summer there’s going to be like five other clubs moving like mad men too. 🤣

If we can’t beat a 10th place Chelsea to players I’m genuinely worried about how he’ll do when we’re looking at players that all the big clubs are interested in. But let’s wait and see eh
City couldn't (=wouldn't) compete with Chelsea either for Cucurella for example. Wonder why City didn't sack their DoF? They got Gomez for cheap after selling Zinchenko with 2 years left.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
City couldn't compete with Chelsea either for Cucurella for example. Wonder why City didn't sack their DoF? They got Gomez for cheap after selling Zinchenko with 2 years left.

Funnily enough, the ONE city fan I know wants Guardiola sacked this season if they don’t win the champions league 😂

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I love it Edu has to defend himself to you guys for what? Not bankrupting the club we love for a guy who has scored 12 goals in Ukrainian league? The world is a bizarre place. Stupidity and irrationality is so rampant that people actually applaud as arsonists burn the club they love to the ground. Boehly is literally Football’s Trump and the dopes applauding are the fat fcks in America cheering a dope who will kill more of them than Hitler did.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I love it Edu has to defend himself to you guys for what? Not bankrupting the club we love for a guy who has scored 12 goals in Ukrainian league? The world is a bizarre place. Stupidity and irrationality is so rampant that people actually applaud as arsonists burn the club they love to the ground. Boehly is literally Football’s Trump and the dopes applauding are the fat fcks in America cheering a dope who will kill more of them than Hitler did.
Agree 100%! Many seem totally irrational in that they just want us to splash crazy cash and outbid other clubs for relatively untested players. It is such beta male, living in the parents basement nonsense. First overdose on Andrew Tate and then post on Arsenal’s transfers…

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

City couldn't (=wouldn't) compete with Chelsea either for Cucurella for example.
But City did compete with Chelsea (and everyone) when they got Haaland.

Look I’m just saying there’s always going to be a valid explanation for missing out on a big player if other clubs are involved.

But sometimes you have to just deliver, not every time, but sometimes…
Wonder why City didn't sack their DoF?
because that would be silly?

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Look I’m just saying there’s always going to be a valid explanation for missing out on a big player if other clubs are involved.

Haaland was easy to get for City because his father played there. Just like Jesus was easy for Arsenal because of Arteta. It's very simple. ;)

Watch this space next summer when Edu delivers and be in awe. This season the aim/expectation was top 4. Next season the aim goes higher again.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Sigh. That is not what I said. Follow the post I quoted… or you know. Learn to read. Etc.
1675292386621.png

I mean maybe I'm misreading. But really feels like you agree with what the trusted member is saying when you write "And I'd agree" + your writing under. Not sure how else to read it than he should be fired if he miss main targets ?

I can obviously read.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

View attachment 12839

I mean maybe I'm misreading. But really feels like you agree with what the trusted member is saying when you write "And I'd agree" + your writing under. Not sure how else to read it than he should be fired if he miss main targets ?

I can obviously read.

It’s the IF right. IF he fails to do the next phase of his job, then he should leave. He has done a great job so far. But if he hits his ceiling then Arsenal Football Club should not be limited by the same ceiling.

I’m not saying fire him now that’s crazy talk. I will be absolutely delighted if he proves that he can rise to the occasion. But I’m not going to be sentimental if he doesn’t.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

If Jesus went to some other top club (which I still feared until the official announcement came, because Arsenal had only UEL), it would have been blamed on Edu 100%. Now that he got the deal done, he gets 0% credit. It's totally ridiculous.

I do think Edu’s Brazilianness helped in the Jesus transfer. And tbh, if I was listing pros and cons, him being a native of the greatest footballing nation on earth would definitely be a pro. It’s the same reason we keep @El Duderino around.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Haaland was easy to get for City because his father played there. Just like Jesus was easy for Arsenal because of Arteta. It's very simple. ;)

Watch this space next summer when Edu delivers and be in awe. This season the aim/expectation was top 4. Next season the aim goes higher again.
What are you even arguing about?
Jesus was a massive massive transfer with big competition, even if he cost only 45 million. But that doesn't count for these people here, because Arteta had some part in the attraction.
You can keep saying this and I’ll keep telling you it’s not true. Literally till the end of time.

Massive transfer with big competition? You end up saying stuff you don’t even believe just to prove yourself right.

Haaland was a massive transfer with big competition, the guy and his family ranked every club in Europe when deciding where to go and Pep had to promise not to overplay him :lol:

Hazard had all of Europe waiting for him to announce what club he was going to. Neymar changed the way Spanish release clauses were set forever. Ronaldo’s return to United broke multiple records on Instagram.

Mbappe renewed his contract and the Spanish league literally tried to sue PSG :lol:

If Jesus is a massive massive transfer then I don’t know what the above are. Forget those, what does that make the arrivals of Özil and Sanchez?
Now that he got the deal done, he gets 0% credit. It's totally ridiculous.
I literally credited Edu’s relationship with the player as one of the reason’s why he got him but I also said that’s not a repeatable strategy. Edu doesn’t know Leao, Caicedo, Bellingham, Rice, Kravra, etc.

You sure throw out a lot of strawmen and deliberately misunderstand things for someone who claims to be paradigm of open and honest debate. 🤨

Last edited:

Tnegs

Cant really criticize Edu for what we did in this window everybody knows the January window is a tough one to navigate and we were outbid by Chelsea and turned down by Brighton for our 2 main targets not sure what Edu could have done about that. In fact looking at the window I think we’ve done better than any other club apart from Chelsea and that’s only because they paid 110m for a player who cost 10m 6 months ago. Bitcoin version of football transfers.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I do think Edu’s Brazilianness helped in the Jesus transfer. And tbh, if I was listing pros and cons, him being a native of the greatest footballing nation on earth would definitely be a pro. It’s the same reason we keep @El Duderino around.

His stint at Corinthians (second largest supporter base in Brasil) and at the NT were all forgetable. No one here really understood what he could offer us.

No one was really fighting for him to stick around.

The selling point when Ivan brought him was that he was once part of the club. Which is why Freddie was also here for a while.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
His stint at Corinthians (second largest supporter base in Brasil) and at the NT were all forgetable. No one here really understood what he could offer us.

No one was really fighting for him to stick around.

The selling point when Ivan brought him was that he was once part of the club. Which is why Freddie was also here for a while.

Poor Bobby Pires, squat outside of Colney as he might, got competely ignored.

Bless his beautiful heart.

Farzad Stoned

Agree 100%! Many seem totally irrational in that they just want us to splash crazy cash and outbid other clubs for relatively untested players. It is such beta male, living in the parents basement nonsense. First overdose on Andrew Tate and then post on Arsenal’s transfers…

It is insane go on the Chelsea fan site they are cheering this guy. Boehly and Eghbali are being twerked for on Chelsea fan sites like these guys are spending their own money lol. This isn’t their money they are p.ssing away they are leveraging the crap out of the club with hard money. Not friendly loans “wink-wink” from Stan or the sheik. You are talking about highly regulated other people’s money. You don’t show a return these Wall street mfers who would repossess their own grannies pacemaker for a bigger year end. What happens if they predictably don’t make CL? Oh yeah now they can’t service the debt and you think Clearlake capital will give them a pass?

Sheer insanity please god let me die instantly during the best orgasm of my life in Colombia I can’t take this level of stupidity. Every man has a limit i am well past the point where i will tolerate fools gladly. Honestly humans are so stupid i want to be kidnapped by aliens like Gdeep. Vicious anal probing by repitilian Aliens can’t be worse than reading the whiny Edu didn’t get his first choice posts.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

Since the change of squad direction, Edu has done a PHENOMENAL job. One can look at missed targets, scoff at the context, point to no blockbuster signings. The results speak loudest, we have the youngest starting 11 and are putting in a legitimate title challenge. This squad took how long to build? 2-3 years? It's actually incredible, people sleep pretty heavily on how massive of a turnaround this is.

It seems like there is a (general) agreement that Edu has done at least a decent job until this point.

A few things I'd say (I've skipped over a lot of the conversation, so apologies if any of this has already been combed through):

1) I'm not sure there are "easy" transfers. Think someone referenced Gabriel Jesus and posted the link about 6 other teams being interested. It's overly simplistic to say that a deal is easy because it went through, and difficult because it didn't. If you're going to be harsh on the misses, be fair with the wins.

2) Being opportunistic is absolutely a massive W. The best way to "beat the market" so to speak. This shouldn't be - and I hope isn't - in contention. Is every deal going to be a massive opportunity grab? No, but not all of our transfers have been.

3) Being first without having had to completely blow the bank on singular players is also absolutely a massive W, NOT a knock against Edu. All this talk about how he hasn't been able to get a tough massive transfer through - he clearly hasn't had to in order for us to succeed this season (although, as previously mentioned, not sure what a "difficult" transfer really is, or how anyone would care to define it). That's a fantastic sign of the great work thats been done squad building wise. Will we be able to bring in big players on massive fees and wages? Seems pretty likely, no real reason why we couldn't. Calling for his head in the meantime though is pretty wild. Especially when all things considered, we had an extremely solid January window. We needed cover on the wings, at LCB and at CM. We got all of that, perfect to keep our title push sustainable. This resoundingly negative alter-narrative seems more rooted in anxiety of the future than any real current substance. Our current reality points to a very steep upward trend.

4) I disagree that we are going to need a mythical DoF that signs every major top target in perpetuity in order for us to succeed. In fact, the strategy and pattern of our transfers seem to indicate we are due 2-3 big transfers, and then I'd expect our spending to settle down. We have a first 11 thats capable of throwing down with the best, and is incredibly young and settled. The squad is only going to get better as they mature. Keep who we have, add in a couple midfielders as needed and we really are set for the next 5 years. Additional transfers will just be dependent on outgoings at that point.

5) Regarding missed transfers - if we hadn't bid for Caciedo or Mudryk, would anyone have been crying out for Edu to try to sign them? At the fees it would take to sign them? Hardly anyone knew who they were before this transfer window, and no one thought they'd be worth the amounts they apparently currently are. But if you weren't crying out for him to sign them before, what's the issue that he tried and failed? It's net neutral if you miss out, possible net gain if you sign them and it works out (****since we still strengthened were required****). Mudryk had been twerking harder than Kiwior's wife, and Caciedo made a public instagram post about wanting to get a deal done. If these are the "difficult" negotiations you all are talking about, I think you have misled yourselves. These transfers didn't fail because of a negotiation breakdown, they failed because we didn't pay up. That is an incredibly different criticism than the one that's being posed against Edu, implying some ineptitude in "difficult" negotiations. The reality is that we simply didn't value the players the way their clubs did - what's the issue there? All Edu had to do to sign Mudryk for e.g. was drop 100M from the get-go. Not particularly difficult.

I had more to say, but I'm absolutely disgusted in myself for typing all of this. Hope it facilitates some more healthy discussion. Going to go cry in the shower now.

@Blood on the Tracks @db10_therza @Trilly @drippin tagging you lot since you guys drove this discussion and I'm posting this during off peak hours. I just wrote a novel so at least one of you better take the time to read it :lol:

Farzad Stoned

because that would be silly?

Valid explanation let me ask you a point a blank question? Would you biy a talented a winger with 12 top flight goals for 110 million? If the answer is no there is your explanation. We offered premiums, way above market value, some tosser paid beyond that number. Do you think Enzo and Murdyk are worth a quarter billion? i know here is an explanation no one is worth 10 million in transfers per goal.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom