• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Dogged and Determined

G0D

Almighty
Realistically need Eddie to be coming across to support some more so the play isn’t always down the right. Jesus brought Martinelli into the game more when he was playing.

Until then Martinelli needs it be focused on his off the ball movement to make a difference.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Think he needs a rest. Easy to forget this is his first season as a permanent fixture in the starting lineup.

blrgooner

Established Member
How about just chilling down a bit? The whole team did not play well while Everton did. Martinelli struggled, but much of that was the setup and tactics we and Everton employed. And if he needs a bit of a rest and is in a bit of a stretch of poorer form, that is not unheard of.

I actually think our poor performance is more on Arteta who didn't manage to get the team up for the game and nor his tactics spot on. But mainly it was Everton that was playing lights out. Huge credit to their new manager and their team. Playing like this they will have no issue putting together a string of wins and be out of the relegation zone where they should never have been anyhow.
Exactly. I thought substituting Martinelli for Trossard was the wrong move too. The guy was getting double marked and having two players on him was creating space in the left half space (Which was one of the few areas we could get space against an otherwise compact defense). I thought we should have brought in Trossard/Vieira for Xhaka to make better use of that space because we were anyways having a lot of the ball.
Martinelli has had a few average games. I don`t think he has been as poor as AM makes him out to be. Even in his average games, he has done basics pretty well. He makes a couple of wrong decisions in terms of running into the bylane blindly but he was always doing that even in good games. He is hardly the finished product who does the right thing every time. You don`t get 21 year old inished products with overall potential like that for 170k.
He had 45 touches and attempted 3 dribbles(1 successful) in the 59 minutes he played. So lets not make it look like he screwed up every time he got the ball.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah I see Eddie being blamed, Martinelli getting double marked offered as an explanation which cool.

Ultimately though under Mikel, Martinelli will probably lose his place in the short term if his post WC form continues.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Oh my god there's literally a video of Martinelli playing with his head down.

He can see, because players tend to look at socks anyways. Planning ahead along with eye contact is optimal and is what the best creative players do to ensure team mates are on the same wavelength etc.

Mid dribble when accelerated though, it's not really realistic and as you gain experience you learn when to pick your moments. Or you may not be that way inclined at all and that's fine, depending on the manager.

I pointed this out to Arsenal-Mania the other day and people were confused when I said Martinelli wasn't a creative player even if he does create chances with his actions and dribbles like in this vid.

I hate this channel anyways, just 2 minute clips of player quirks which feeds into the ultra critical nature of modern football fandom.

There's a 2 minute one of Ødegaard playing dumb af passes which look mad stupid in isolation, but I want creative players at Arsenal to try things and not have mistakes accentuated.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He can see, because players tend to look at socks anyways. Planning ahead along with eye contact is optimal and is what the best creative players do to ensure team mates are on the same wavelength etc.

Mid dribble when accelerated though, it's not really realistic and as you gain experience you learn when to pick your moments. Or you may not be that way inclined at all and that's fine, depending on the manager.

I pointed this out to Arsenal-Mania the other day and people were confused when I said Martinelli wasn't a creative player even if he does create chances with his actions and dribbles like in this vid.

I hate this channel anyways, just 2 minute clips of player quirks which feeds into the ultra critical nature of modern football fandom.

There's a 2 minute one of Ødegaard playing dumb af passes which look mad stupid in isolation, but I want creative players at Arsenal to try things and not have mistakes accentuated.

I like the ones of every long shot attempt and stuff like that, but I don't take it too seriously, maybe others use it to form opinions.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

🎯

Head down memes aside, it's what you want your forward players to do.

The whole point of Martinelli is he never stops.

Think Mikel could do well to at least give him KT for the overlap and move Zinchenko central over Xhaka if we need a result.

At least until Jesus is back.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

🎯

Head down memes aside, it's what you want your forward players to do.

The whole point of Martinelli is he never stops.

Think Mikel could do well to at least give him KT for the overlap and move Zinchenko central over Xhaka if we need a result.

At least until Jesus is back.

This seems like such an obvious tactic to me. I'm absolutely amazed we've not tried it. I hope this tactic teams are deploying against us won't become Arteta's Achilles, to me the obvious tactic is to focus more on going wide and creating overloads but Arteta isn't someone who deviates all that much.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
This seems like such an obvious tactic to me. I'm absolutely amazed we've not tried it. I hope this tactic teams are deploying against us won't become Arteta's Achilles, to me the obvious tactic is to focus more on going wide and creating overloads but Arteta isn't someone who deviates all that much.

Yeah, if I can see, the manager certainly can.

Just don't feel he's the plan b type so far in his career.

Not like we were winning the midfield battle in this particular case anyway and we're behind a goal. As a team going for the title this is when you have to give stuff like this a go.

Hopefully Martinelli gets a breather anyway to try and reset his form.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I know what you said and it was quite frankly rubbish, you only said it to prove your wider point that Pepe failed here due to his lack of football IQ. Meanwhile Gabi’s ‘football IQ’ is pretty much non-existent yet he’s doing okay no?

So trying to backtrack now and saying “oh I wasn’t saying Gabi’s IQ was good, I’m saying it was comparable to Pepe’s” is just intellectually dishonest and still not true.

Pepe knew when to pass or shoot or when a dribble was pointless. In fact Arteta played a key part in making him safer on the ball.

Saka was also getting double teamed, he gets double teamed a lot in fact as Ødegaard doesn’t overlap him like Xhaka does on the left.
No, I didn't say that Pepe failed due to his football IQ. I said it's part of many reasons he failed. And yes, I said his football IQ is equal or better than Pepe's at a younger age. You have reading comprehesion problems like many here.

So who here is intellectually dishonest? It is you, it's very clear. I don't understand why you need to go into these kind of accusations, it's very pitiful dude. :lol:

Btw. football IQ is not only about passing or shooting instead of dribbling.

After Jesus has been injured, Martinelli has had it much more difficult. They combined very well, and Jesus drifted to the left which helped Martinelli. Not so good form too of course.

Saka had similar issues at some point, people blaming his level had dropped, but it's more to do with having more 1vs2's on the wing. Martinelli doesn't have much help currently on the left from Zinchenko, Xhaka and Nketiah.

drippin

I remember when me and @Rex Bezos called out Saka’s finishing like two years ago and got attacked for it. :lol:

Now he looks to have improved it and it’s not like we’ve picked another reason to keep going at him.
Nice avoidance of being wrong, saying Saka can't shoot, and now he can only because he has improved his technique.

With young players it is very often mental block in men's games if they can't shoot so well. Of course he has improved too, but he has always also had good shooting technique. Not very good, but good.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Probably needs a rest / breather. I'd look to start Trossard against Brentford. Give Martinelli 15 minutes off the bench up against tired legs to hopefully play himself back into a bit of form.

He's 21 years old, with his performances and numbers over the first half of the season he must be one of the top talents in his age bracket so I find it silly to be too critical of him.

Head down merchant or not ( and you could say the same for Suarez or Sanchez) Martinelli has a top mentality. Doesn't matter if he's playing poorly he's always wanting the ball again and willing to take things on. There's no quit in him. He'll find form soon enough.

Not every young wide man is going to be a consistency machine like Saka, Martinelli will have his ups and downs as he develops but he's a end product / numbers merchant in a side that doesn't really have another player in that mould. He'll be absolutely fine.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Y
Literally.

I remember when me and @Rex Bezos called out Saka’s finishing like two years ago and got attacked for it. :lol:

Now he looks to have improved it and it’s not like we’ve picked another reason to keep going at him.
yeah me too, then two years later people be like "Where are the saka cANt ShOOt people now?" Nowhere cause he has improved mf

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Man talking like some pro baller. Don’t lie you used to just charge down the wing and spam over hit crosses.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Nice avoidance of being wrong, saying Saka can't shoot, and now he can only because he has improved his technique.

With young players it is very often mental block in men's games if they can't shoot so well. Of course he has improved too, but he has always also had good shooting technique. Not very good, but good.
What the HELL are you talking about?

You really took two days to come back with this crap?
1675781074953.jpeg

drippin

What the HELL are you talking about?

You really took two days to come back with this crap?
View attachment 12990
You just said I can't admit I have been wrong, and I busted you for trying to say you were right about Saka's shooting.

I also answered another reply to you above it.

But yeah, Mourinho throwing toys out of the pram fits you very well.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Man talking like some pro baller. Don’t lie you used to just charge down the wing and spam over hit crosses.

I was in my bag with that post only for you to mock me :lol:

I was crap but always played centrally anyways. My favourite position to watch is #10 so I read their interviews a lot.

One constant a lot of the creative greats mention is eye contact, to keep it Arsenal relevant here’s Bergkamp:

I have had that relationships with a striker, a midfielder, a winger – you just need the connection. I won’t name names, but there have been players in my career too that I know haven’t got it. They receive the ball and keep their head down, control it, look up, then see the player move, then pass. That’s too late. That might be a reason that I stopped scoring at stages in my career, for the national team as well. If you don’t have that eye contact, you don’t get the service and it takes away part of my game.

Perhaps a warning for Martinelli. As for the socks to prove I’m not making it up:

In 2007/08 the Club launched a white-shirted away kit with redcurrant shorts, designed to pay tribute to the influence of Herbert Chapman on the Club, alongside a redcurrant and navy third kit which was believed to be Arsenal's first-ever striped effort. The Chapman-inspired kit sparked reminders that he first introduced white sleeves to the Gunners' shirts, and also pioneered the design of hooped socks - which he believed would help players recognise one another more easily.

Chapman's rationale for these innovations was he wanted to maximise player visibility, making it easier for his players to pick each other out on the field of play.

Successful Arsenal sides in history have had iconic distinctive socks, so it’s not over for young Martinelli.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

One constant a lot of the creative greats mention is eye contact, to keep it Arsenal relevant here’s Bergkamp:
This extends to pretty much every position tbh, and it’s not so much about eye contact as it is about spatial awareness. You need to understand where you are in relation to others to do anything effectively, shoot, pass, take a touch, defend.

Watch any top level midfielder in the world, and see how many times they turn their heads to scan while moving on the pitch over a minute. They’re constantly checking where everything is around them. This makes you both more likely to receive the ball, and more likely to do something useful with it when you do.

Mitoma (who’s popular on this forum) - studied dribbling in uni (lol) - and found that the most successful dribblers were the ones that didn’t have to look at the ball when receiving it, or something to that effect. This is because they knew where the defender was as they were receiving the ball, not after they had received it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom