• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Dogged and Determined

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He can’t beat players anymore. Doesn’t even try to take on fullbacks. What he is doing is taking no risks and hope a goal hides his lack of doing anything else. When he doesn’t score it becomes obvious he adds very little

TornadoTed

Established Member
Still don't think we've really figured out how to utilise him best. Really think he'd be best as a narrow wing forward but too often he's far out in the wing
I think he would be better narrower but not going to happen with Zinchenko so often tucking into midfield. Saka and Martinelli need to have chalk on their boots with the way we play.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Penalty always down to luck and experience Martinelli never took Penalty in these kind of situation before i had feelings he'll miss.

He shouldn't worry he should get focused again and try get 15+ league goals.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

@Trilly spare him today imo.
I don't need to say anything :lol:

Most people are aware of the flaws in his game that at times it felt like only myself and Rex could see. Now that's out there there's no need for me to stick the knife in.

On a slightly separate note, people were clowning R10 for scoring goals against European 'farmers', what does that say about our forwards then, we've been impotent in Europe.
You guys do remember how the only goal we scored today came about? And remember how many times he bailed out our defence with a tackle to stop dangerous counters?

He did fine ffs. Jesus and Trossard literally did no better. In fact I’d say they were both worse. Saka didn’t do much after coming on. But hey, agenda mania etc etc. Lets all indulge @Rex Bezos wild fantasies and shovel on Martinelli.
Would have expected a better penalty from someone whose 'monster' mentality is always praised. Was really poor.

But...that's nitpicking tbh. Ramsdale was horrible. Big question marks for Arteta's cup performances as well.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Would have expected a better penalty from someone whose 'monster' mentality is always praised. Was really poor.

DB10 had the nickname Iceman for his mentality. Also famous for missing a clutch penalty. It’s a stupid yardstick to judge a player against…

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Has he? I think his goals are papering over some cracks. I think his all-round game better before the World Cup.
He can’t beat players anymore. Doesn’t even try to take on fullbacks. What he is doing is taking no risks and hope a goal hides his lack of doing anything else. When he doesn’t score it becomes obvious he adds very little
Reminds me of when Auba was scoring goals but the general play wasn't benefitting the team. I stood up for Auba but A-M beat me into acknowledging that just scoring isn't good enough, in hindsight I have to admit that A-M was right, but now with Martinelli it's apparently fine again.

A-M playing favourites again :lol:

His goalscoring run has heavily been based on the good play of others...but he kind of sticks out as as the one in the front three who doesn't really enable others. I don't have an issue with a guy who just finishes his chances but our attack isn't set up for that kind of player (as we saw with Auba).

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

DB10 had the nickname Iceman for his mentality. Also famous for missing a clutch penalty. It’s a stupid yardstick to judge a player against…
I don't think it is? You don't need to have monster mentality to be a top player tbh but scoring a clutch penalty is one of the clearest ways to demonstrate it.

It's not the fact he didn't score btw, it's how bad the penalty was. What else is that but the pressure getting to him?

This is me playing devil's advocate anyway, you already know my issues with him. I don't care about him missing a penalty.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
His goalscoring run has heavily been based on the good play of others...but he kind of sticks out as as the one in the front three who doesn't really enable others. I don't have an issue with a guy who just finishes his chances but our attack isn't set up for that kind of player (as we saw with Auba).

And there's nothing wrong with that, which is why I find it odd when people point out that he is an end product guy/vertical player and others think is a demerit.

He's not a Trossard/Gabi Jesus type that brings people into play and make others around him better so far in his career.

Said it before, he's a battering ram and should be played as such. That run in behind that led to the Xhaka goal, his last headed goal where he snuck up in the box, that's what you want him doing.

That's why having the option of an overlap is important to him when we're not playing Jesus. It allows him to drift in and out of central areas.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
One good thing I'll point out is that he's been much more inteligent with his pressing. Just needs to stop overthinking a couple of decisions he's making on the pitch.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Reminds me of when Auba was scoring goals but the general play wasn't benefitting the team. I stood up for Auba but A-M beat me into acknowledging that just scoring isn't good enough, in hindsight I have to admit that A-M was right, but now with Martinelli it's apparently fine again.

A-M playing favourites again :lol:

It was obvious he was gonna miss last night. If the 4 shooters we had he is a level below them technically

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I don't think it is? You don't need to have monster mentality to be a top player tbh but scoring a clutch penalty is one of the clearest ways to demonstrate it.

It's not the fact he didn't score btw, it's how bad the penalty was. What else is that but the pressure getting to him?

This is me playing devil's advocate anyway, you already know my issues with him. I don't care about him missing a penalty.

What I’m saying is that the sample size is too small… IMO Martinelli is our best finisher in 1v1 situations, and that’s based on a big sample size.

Tbf, you do have a point in that when it comes to finishing I think he’s at his best when he’s not thinking about it. Bit like Walcott, which is a comparison that has been made before as well. Penalty is pretty much the exact opposite of that.

Top Bottom