• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2023

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,523
  • Views 723,933
Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Rice probably signs for us and stays his whole career.
That's one additional point that is not totally obvious in relation to the cost you pay for a certain player.

If the player is more likely to want to stay in England or London (or they are Arsenal fans, which Rice isn't), the cost will be much more efficient over the years.
Nothing is guaranteed of course, but player like Rice is much more likely to stay at a London club of the size of Arsenal if he comes, than someone from abroad for example.

Wenger predicted it correctly that more players will leave for free after their contracts end. And if a player won't renew, you don't get a full price with less that 2 years left in contract. So you lose money there, but if the player is likely to renew, you don't have to buy a new player which also brings more stability to the squad.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

That's one additional point that is not totally obvious in relation to the cost you pay for a certain player.

If the player is more likely to want to stay in England or London (or they are Arsenal fans, which Rice isn't), the cost will be much more efficient over the years.
Nothing is guaranteed of course, but player like Rice is much more likely to stay at a London club of the size of Arsenal if he comes, than someone from abroad for example.

Wenger predicted it correctly that more players will leave for free after their contracts end. And if a player won't renew, you don't get a full price with less that 2 years left in contract. So you lose money there, but if the player is likely to renew, you don't have to buy a new player which also brings more stability to the squad.
You don’t buy a player assuming he will want to stay with you for a decade because no one knows that. You just assuming he is English from London that he want to stay in London forever.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
You don’t buy a player assuming he will want to stay with you for a decade because no one knows that. You just assuming he is English from London that he want to stay in London forever.
You definitely do factor in the possibility of a good player renewing his contract with you as opposed to leaving and you having to resign another.

If Rice signs for us it's very difficult for him to move to another PL club. Not impossible but unlikely. So you'd get maybe 8-9 years out of Rice if he performs and we also maintain a level he is satisfied with.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

You definitely do factor in the possibility of a good player renewing his contract with you as opposed to leaving and you having to resign another.

If Rice signs for us it's very difficult for him to move to another PL club. Not impossible but unlikely. So you'd get maybe 8-9 years out of Rice if he performs and we also maintain a level he is satisfied with.

We have sold several top players to other pl clubs. If he sign with us and doesn’t renew he will be sold and the player has control over where he goes. Rice has no connection to Arsenal. If we not successful and he has options he would leave just like any player

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
We have sold several top players to other pl clubs. If he sign with us and doesn’t renew he will be sold and the player has control over where he goes. Rice has no connection to Arsenal. If we not successful and he has options he would leave just like any player
Yes....we sold them when we couldn't offer them what they wanted. Success.

Hence why I said if we meet his expectations and he meets ours.

Chelsea/City/United need to be head and shoulders above us for him to want to move there in 2 or 3 years. Which would take a drastic downturn from us and a huge upturn from them.

He isn't leaving say 3rd place Arsenal to play in 2nd place Chelsea or United. We would need to drop out of CL and he would need to be joining a team winning titles.

It's much more likely that Rice stays at us for his entire career than say Zubamendi. Or even Caicedo. Rice is a London lad, his family live there, he will probably have or meet his future wife there, his kids will go to school there etc.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Yes....we sold them when we couldn't offer them what they wanted. Success.

Hence why I said if we meet his expectations and he meets ours.

Chelsea/City/United need to be head and shoulders above us for him to want to move there in 2 or 3 years. Which would take a drastic downturn from us and a huge upturn from them.

He isn't leaving say 3rd place Arsenal to play in 2nd place Chelsea or United.

It's much more likely that Rice stays at us for his entire career than say Zubamendi. Or even Caicedo. Rice is a London lad, his family live there, he will probably have or meet his future wife there, his kids will go to school there etc.
We having 1 good season in over a decade. And we could still end empty handed. Let’s calm down. 10 games to go with much harder fixture list. I would scrubbed surprised if we even won the league from this position

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
We having 1 good season in over a decade. And we could still end empty handed. Let’s calm down. 10 games to go with much harder fixture list. I would scrubbed surprised if we even won the league from this position
And there's been many reasons for 1 successful season in 10. Those reasons are little by little being reduced.

Just because we don't win the league doesn't mean we can't sign Rice and maintain being a top 4 team over the next 4 or 5 years.

ChefMan21

While 22-25 year old players sound great, I don't think you should discount 1) the life experience and footballing experience of older players and 2) the winning mentality a player like Jesus has brought to the club. We particularly need the latter in general, while the former will definitely help, especially if they have Champions League experience, which a not insignificant amount of our team lacks. By all means sign young players but age is only part of the equation imo

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
While 22-25 year old players sound great, I don't think you should discount 1) the life experience and footballing experience of older players and 2) the winning mentality a player like Jesus has brought to the club. We particularly need the latter in general, while the former will definitely help, especially if they have Champions League experience, which a not insignificant amount of our team lacks. By all means sign young players but age is only part of the equation imo
Jesus is 25. Plenty of players have winning experience, life experience etc around that age.

I think most are hitting around that age group as we've seen how signing players 28-29 in the past hasn't worked as effectively as we would like.

It also compliments the team as the average age is 24 something.

There is also almost 0 resale value when you sign a 28+ player. They are seeing out their contract with you and leaving on a free. That's not ideal in this current climate in football. It's OK if it's RVP-esque to United who was the last piece and Fergie didn't care what happened 2 or 3 years down the line.

ChefMan21

Jesus is 25. Plenty of players have winning experience, life experience etc around that age.

I think most are hitting around that age group as we've seen how signing players 28-29 in the past hasn't worked as effectively as we would like.

It also compliments the team as the average age is 24 something.

There is also almost 0 resale value when you sign a 28+ player. They are seeing out their contract with you and leaving on a free. That's not ideal in this current climate in football. It's OK if it's RVP-esque to United who was the last piece and Fergie didn't care what happened 2 or 3 years down the line.
Everyone will retire at once...

It'll be like when the Waugh brothers, Gilly, McGrath, Langer, Hayden, Warnie, Martyn, etc all retired within 5 years of each other or so - and the wilderness years thereafter.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think we will go back to recruiting in 21-25 age bracket in the summer. We recruited two "old" players in January. I don't see us doing that again in the summer.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Spotted any worthwhile talent in the streets of Bogota?

A-M is patiently waiting for a scout report.
Medellin amigo, if i was getting paid for it is a cake job. fly to various South American matches flash the Arsenal card, wine and dine a few agents and never pay that social media trollop Bloom another penny. Did we buy Martinelli and Gabriel from Shylock Bloom at 100 million?

Farzad Stoned

Ps Brighton doesn’t find these players the South American agents bring them for them by brighton just showing up with money. Stupid to buy retail when you have virtually zero start up cost to buy wholesale

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Medellin amigo, if i was getting paid for it is a cake job. fly to various South American matches flash the Arsenal card, wine and dine a few agents and never pay that social media trollop Bloom another penny. Did we buy Martinelli and Gabriel from Shylock Bloom at 100 million?

Yesterday’s price is not today’s price 📈

Anyways, I don’t think our fans would be ready if we plucked some nobody from the Ecuadorian Serie A and mapped out a 2 year plan to integrate him into the team as a first teamer. We’re not at the stage anymore for long term projects as you can see from the lack of patience from our fanbase with Fabio Vieira, Lokonga, Kiwior etc although I’m a fan of these gambles. 2m for Mitoma from the J League would have been a really low risk gamble tbf.

Phase 4/5 is probably bringing in certified star quality which I’m also not against depending on who we get.

Farzad Stoned

Yesterday’s price is not today’s price 📈

Anyways, I don’t think our fans would be ready if we plucked some nobody from the Ecuadorian Serie A and mapped out a 2 year plan to integrate him into the team as a first teamer. We’re not at the stage anymore for long term projects as you can see from the lack of patience from our fanbase with Fabio Vieira, Lokonga, Kiwior etc although I’m a fan of these gambles. 2m for Mitoma from the J League would have been a really low risk gamble tbf.

Phase 4/5 is probably bringing in certified star quality which I’m also not against depending on who we get.
Bro it is a pipeline you build it for long term. The academy if we win league will have won it for us. I don’t want to buy at exorbitant prices and that is what Bloom represents. We did the very thing i want us to do again before we canned all our scouts. Those scouts in South America are gold you should sell the seats and make everyone stand before you fire a good scout in Africa or South America. The players we sign will be for pennies we develop over time. We still have the money and should buy finished products like Jesus or Trossard but not trendy Boehly buys it is bad strategy.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Bro it is a pipeline you build it for long term. The academy if we win league will have won it for us. I don’t want to buy at exorbitant prices and that is what Bloom represents. We did the very thing i want us to do again before we canned all our scouts. Those scouts in South America are gold you should sell the seats and make everyone stand before you fire a good scout in Africa or South America. The players we sign will be for pennies we develop over time. We still have the money and should buy finished products like Jesus or Trossard but not trendy Boehly buys it is bad strategy.

Agreed on the long term plan but I feel we struck gold on Bukayo Saka + Saliba whilst also getting Ødegaard under his value and Martinelli making big strides simultaneously as all the above. Everything has been falling into place for in the recruitment department/academy especially the Plan B options in the market that we’ve had unreal success with. From Vlahovic to Jesus then Lisandro to Zinchenko and lastly Mudryk to Trossard.

Would love it if this team develops even further next season but realistically I think we need a star quality signing to go for the CL next season imo. Just my opinion.

Farzad Stoned

Agreed on the long term plan but I feel we struck gold on Bukayo Saka + Saliba whilst also getting Ødegaard under his value and Martinelli making big strides simultaneously as all the above. Everything has been falling into place for in the recruitment department/academy especially the Plan B options in the market that we’ve had unreal success with. From Vlahovic to Jesus then Lisandro to Zinchenko and lastly Mudryk to Trossard.

Would love it if this team develops even further next season but realistically I think we need a star quality signing to go for the CL next season imo. Just my opinion.
Your logic is sound we do need experienced world class players but not the big trendy buy. That has never been the Arsenal formula. Yes we buy an Auba or Jesus here and there but we are always a value buyer. I don’t want us becoming Mercenary United Lite chasing the buys Boehly and United want. That is not being a big club that is being stupid. And we don’t need Bloom or Brighton there is nothing that tosser Bloom can do in South America that Arsenal can’t do better. Buy direct mate cut out the middleman just like any business if you want to control acquisition costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom