• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2023

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,523
  • Views 723,969
Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I’m really confused about what we’re doing in the CM position.

We are actually quite stacked at DM since we signed Jorginho.

It means we’re going for an advanced CM. Rice could be an option of doing some things Xhaka adds while being a potential long term successor to Partey.

In an ideal scenario we sign a 6/8 hybrid like Rice and a proper no.8/10 ala Kudus. But then we would be very stacked there, with for eg Xhaka, Rice and Kudus for one position (not counting ESR Vieira etc who can potentially play there).

The AM experts will have their opinions and their definite solutions but I am very intrigued as to what we do. I think we will only go for 1 player there if I had to guess, unless we have a departure or loan.
Yes I'm intrigued too. I can't see us signing a DM, Mikel is a big admirer or Jorginho and he's only been here 6 months.

I think we will only sign one midfielder this summer, probably go big on Rice or Caceido to upgrade/compete with Xhaka. That gives us 12 months to judge if they are what Mikel is looking for in an 8.

If not they drop back to 6 when Jorginhos contract expires and we buy a longer term 8. If they work out at 8 we buy a 6 to replace Jorginho.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yes I'm intrigued too. I can't see us signing a DM, Mikel is a big admirer or Jorginho and he's only been here 6 months.

I think we will only sign one midfielder this summer, probably go big on Rice or Caceido to upgrade/compete with Xhaka. That gives us 12 months to judge if they are what Mikel is looking for in an 8.

If not they drop back to 6 when Jorginhos contract expires and we buy a longer term 8. If they work out at 8 we buy a 6 to replace Jorginho.
I think we see Rice as someone who can cover both 6 and 8, depending on our needs.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Massive hopes. I wanted him to replace Partey.
In 2-3 years maybe. If Southampton stays up which I don’t see I think he will stay. But if they go down. I think he will be 3/4 choice for many teams if they can’t get Rice/ Caicedo

ChefMan21

I wonder if Xhaka will leave if we win the title?

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Anyone else think we’ll move Jorginho on in the summer? We gave him a short contract and at his age I doubt he’ll want to stay as a backup. Rice, Caicedo or Lavia will push him further back on the bench.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Anyone else think we’ll move Jorginho on in the summer? We gave him a short contract and at his age I doubt he’ll want to stay as a backup. Rice, Caicedo or Lavia will push him further back on the bench.

I mean we need to play a competitive team twice a week next season. We'll need higher quality squad depth to rotate, otherwise we'll burn out. If we get a midfielder I'd imagine he'd rotate with Xhaka.

Legend14

Established Member
Arteta wants his CBs and FBs to play tica taca. There's no chance he's buying a clogger as a DM IMO
Generally agree. So why the interest from Arsenal though? Arteta must see something in the player that works for his system thats not so obvious to the rest of us.

Wouldn’t mind having Rice on the team since Partey only plays half of the matches, I just prefer we have a similar player to Partey, but that may not be possible.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Nope. We can do with another midfielder. If Jorginho leaves then 2. Personally I would keep him sign 2 midfielders and loan vieira out

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Generally agree. So why the interest from Arsenal though? Arteta must see something in the player that works for his system thats not so obvious to the rest of us.

Wouldn’t mind having Rice on the team since Partey only plays half of the matches, I just prefer we have a similar player to Partey, but that may not be possible.

For me, it's either:

A) He's technically better than the stats suggest as Caceido doesn't have great offensive stats but is very comfortable on the ball, evading the press and playing on the half turn (none of which isn't really measured)
B) It's clickbait

TornadoTed

Established Member
No chance in my opinion. Mikel is a big admirer and he has only been here a few months. Any midfielder will be bought in to compete with Xhaka.

Kuroske

I am always confused when analyst on tv saying about playing time from youngsters needs to play every game to improve to established players want to play every game.

At what age is it acceptable that they accept to sit on the bench?

Jason Jace

Agreed on the long term plan but I feel we struck gold on Bukayo Saka + Saliba whilst also getting Ødegaard under his value and Martinelli making big strides simultaneously as all the above. Everything has been falling into place for in the recruitment department/academy especially the Plan B options in the market that we’ve had unreal success with. From Vlahovic to Jesus then Lisandro to Zinchenko and lastly Mudryk to Trossard.

Would love it if this team develops even further next season but realistically I think we need a star quality signing to go for the CL next season imo. Just my opinion.
Moussa Diaby and Declan rice/Caicedo it is then.

Diaby is really Rapid, can play on ether wings as well..
Won't also be a bad idea if we sign fresneda as right back cover

Nelson is out, sell Nketiah, Jorgihno, lokonga, Tavares and maybe even Smith Rowe and bring back bàlogun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom