• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Buhry

Established Member

Apparently Toni Kroos could be lookign for a move from Bayern if he doesn't get enough gametime this season.

Kroos admits he could be tempted to try his luck abroad if there are no new developments with Bayern.

"There have been no negotiations," he told Bild. "That's why I don't have an answer to it right now.
"One thing is clear, I can imagine a lot of things. Let's wait and see.
"Abroad, the estimation for German players has risen enormously. If now three, four young German players make the switch, similar fees could be paid.
"That's a sign of quality - often those are young players, who have not reached the end of their development."

Can he play a deeper role? Could he be a long term Arteta replacement?

He was really good when I watched Germany against Austria and he's been solid when I've seen him for Bayern. And he's also young. But I was kind of under the impression that he usually plays more advanced. Then again Arteta used to do that.

Floating

Established Member
A forward that can play on the left or upfront would be ideal - I think we should bid big for Reus in January or next summer. He's an Arsenal fan, and I think he'd love to play alongside Özil, Per, and Poldi.

Suarez would be incredible too, but more of a longshot.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
reus dominating this thread again, let's see how barca fare up over this season. they'll probably decide on pedro and sanchez, depending on how neymar does, i can see them deciding to get another top player for their flanks, but does reus fit their style?

certainly no space for him in madrid, even if they sell benzema he won't go there as the number 1 forward. i think we can outdo all the italians.

our only real competition is probably man utd. i hope he won't commit career **** and go to one of the oil clubs. chelsea and city are loaded with attacking talent anyway. besides, he'll want to come in a year or two before his manager does to keep his link-up with Özil on the sharp anyway :)

arsenalfan4ever

Established Member
I see some people talking about Rues as a striker. The only position I have seen him play is left-wing (although he moves in the middle and to the right sometimes). So am I missing something?

I don't think you can convert a winger into a striker at the age of 25 (Rues will be 25 next summer). It's too late in his career for such a change. He is also lightweight. Although he is strong enough to hold off a full back, don't think he can occupy two central defenders in EPL. Besides, he is a beast of a winger and very unselfish. Why would you move him from his ideal position?

trunks206

Established Member
arsenalfan4ever said:
I see some people talking about Rues as a striker. The only position I have seen him play is left-wing (although he moves in the middle and to the right sometimes). So am I missing something?

I don't think you can convert a winger into a striker at the age of 25 (Rues will be 25 next summer). It's too late in his career for such a change. He is also lightweight. Although he is strong enough to hold off a full back, don't think he can occupy two central defenders in EPL. Besides, he is a beast of a winger and very unselfish. Why would you move him from his ideal position?

No we just want Reus so bad we are looking for a way to get him into the team tbh :lol:

Özil at AM, Santi at LW and Walcott at RW only leaves the middle/CF position open.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Kroos, lovely intelligent player. Wonder whether he'd excell in the Arteta role, haven't seen him play in a while though. Would be great if his defensive capabilities are up to speed as well.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Benteke/Benzema - 2 players who with the right move i.e. here! can become elite strikers.

Ginter/Zouma/Richards - young defender who can play more than 1 role.

Ox and Podolski to hit top form after their come backs as well.

Anzac

Established Member
Dutch D said:
Kroos, lovely intelligent player. Wonder whether he'd excell in the Arteta role, haven't seen him play in a while though. Would be great if his defensive capabilities are up to speed as well.

Seems to be more in the B2B mould.
Perhaps Rambo as the eventual replacement for Arteta?
With Wilshere as cover/replacement for Cazorla was LWF playmaker?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Players/31772/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Players/31772/</a>

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Anytime I watched Kroos play for Bayern he was an attacking mid playing in front of Schweinsteiger and Gustavo/Martinez. He always seemed like a very hard working player though so dropping back deeper always looked an option. Either way though he isn't the type of player we need.

Flow

Reus would fit in perfectly, BTW I think he played as a ST in Monchengladbach. He's certainly not weak and his movement off the ball is one of his many assets that makes him a great CF or an even better LW who cuts inside.

After watching the highlights of last game again, we desperately need a very good finisher on the wing. Preferably one who cuts inside to shoot with his better foot. Just like Reus does, he's right footed but plays LW. With Giroud, Özil, Ramsey, Cazorla and Wilshere making fantastic throughballs, only Walcott seems to be fast enough to make fully use of it, but his finishing is piss poor and I really hope it improves. Podolski would fit the bill perfectly, if only he didn't have to play at LW because his right foot is so ****.

Reus would also provide depth for all front three positions: LW, CF and RW.

ST: Giroud, Reus, Podolski
LW: Reus, Podolski, Oxlade-Chamberlain
RW: Cazorla, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain

This would provide an excellent combination of strenght, technique and pace. One other big marquee signing can make our attack suddenly look very, very dangerous.

BTW, Kroos is a fantastic player, but I think there is no place for him with Wilshere, Ramsey, Özil, Cazorla and Rosicky covering the CM and AM positions very well. He destroyed us at the Emirates last year.

Shaqiri also fits the bill, would Bayern sell him, he rarely plays there...

thedon5

I don't think it's fair to call Walcott's finishing piss poor, big knee jerk, his finishing was top class last season, the best in our team.

I think Podolski could play as an RW. When he signed Wenger wanted to try him there, problem was that Walcott was keeping him out of that spot. He could definitely cut in.

If we picked up Reus and plonked him at LW, I also think that would better suit Cazorla and Özil. That would mean the two of them can truly be alternating positions at all times as Özil will always prefer drifting to the right, and he's also far more suited to playing RW if need be. Cazorla has played RW a lot more in his career as well, would probably be slightly more familiar for him.

Look at that bench though. That is genuine top class depth, having Podolski and Walcott on the bench is insane.

I think in that line-up we would still need some sort of striker. A young guy perhaps, Muriel is my preferred player there, not to keep banging the same drum though.

Flow

Sorry, poor choice of words there. His finishing yesterday was piss poor, last year it was al lot better but even in form, Theo can actually only make one type of shot, which is pretty worrying. He can't curl the ball in the corner nor can he strike it with a lot of power from just outside the sixteen, what Podolski, Reus and even Chamberlain can.

I don't think Podolski is suited to play RW, he is really very bad on his right and it will be easy to stop him as a defender. Also, it would mean that outside of shooting, he couldn't deliver those crosses he can deliver on the left wing. LW is the best for Podolski, like that he can both cross and shoot. It's far more easy to force players on their weak foot if they're playing on the opposite side. And when Theo was injured, Wenger rather opted for Gervinho or Oxlade-Chamberlain to replace him.

I think with Reus, Giroud, Walcott, the Ox, Cazorla and Podolski we have enough players for the three front positions. Muriel would be a very good alternative for Reus though. (I thought he could also play LW but I could be wrong). But like that we have two very good players for each position and still have Ryo - Bendtner - Gnabry for the Capital One Cup.

I think our priority in the winter should be this kind of player, but it's very unlikely that for example Dortmund would sell Reus in the winter, but if that fails we should look for a stop gap ST solution like Ba. That is, if Giroud keeps proving he can be our long term first striker.

thedon5

Definitely agree there about Walcott.

Yep Muriel would be a luxury, I guess we do still have Sanogo and Akpom and both could be decent enough players come next season. Especially Akpom, look at how keen he was when he came on. He looked so pissed when the ref blew the full-time whistle when he had the ball. Also let's not forget Miyaichi and Gnabry for the wing spots.

Yep no chance of Reus in the winter, or any player who is very important to their clubs. Maybe someone who is surplus. I think we need to wait till the summer to get another marquee signing unless we can pick up Suarez.

Flow

With Sagna's and Wenger's comments about moving to RB, I can indeed see Wenger moving for an RB. A Monreal-esque signing that would be, nothing too fancy.

thedon5

What first choice RBs will be available though other than Piszczek and maybe Juanfran? Danilo and Montoya maybe? Riether or Aurier?

That's not exactly a wealth of options. Unless some new RBs begin to establish themselves this season.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Marca said Juanfran rejected an offer from us in the summer which was four times his salary at A.Madrid.

thedon5

Hmm well that slims it down further. Gamez? Corchia?

Montoya's contract end this summer, he's probably our best bet. If Riether has another season like his last he'll be a decent option though at 31 next summer it'll be a very short-term one.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Ideally I'd want a young promising RB coming in or one at the peak of their powers rather than a stop gap. Corchia is a good shout, he's a wonderful attacking RB and he has an eye for goal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom