• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
MutableEarth said:
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
MutableEarth said:
Agree with Jones. I'd like to expand on the point about "names". I've alluded to this before (funny as this is the wishlist thread :lol:) but often people don't really think about the kinds of players they want the club to bring in outside of "well, they're WC so lets get them" and that's it. It's clearly not as simple as that, and we can't just go by the name.

For example, lots of people wishlisted Pogba - hell, I would have been excited at signing him - but in reality, the kind of player he is just isn't what we absolutely need. I'm not in the Diego Costa camp either, but he makes much more sense so I can understand why people want him. He does link up very well, has good athleticism, and is performing as a spearhead in an exemplary fashion for Athletico. Something that we need. But I wonder how many people want Costa because of that, or just because "he's good and scores goals"?

Forget the names for a second and look at their overall play. This is why I'm personally not insistent on this whole "They have to be WORLD CLASS and over-25". I guess I'm not burned by players with "potential", but I'm happy for players who are not only very good and on the cusp of brilliance, but who have specific traits that we need in this team - and they don't have to be popular names for that to happen.

With regards to 'what we need', who thinks we would of done better with Higuain instead of Özil? I do because we're creative enough but massively lack clinical finishing. I like Costa because he can finish, create his own goals aswell as contributing to overall play. Not my ideal striker mind you and he maybe too rich for us and not want to come to a 4th place cold EPL team.

Nah, we needed Özil IMO. We really didn't create the kind of chances we needed to create the season before. Everyone wanks over how brilliant Cazorla was as an AM (and he really was excellent over a period of time), but once he was figured out, they locked him down and doubled up on him. After that, Wenger moved him wide to shift his threat. Wilshere manfully tried to replace him with his driving runs after returning from injury but he didn't have the final ball. Ramsey didn't fare too well either and moved further back where he improved. It was down to Rosicky, who lacked the final ball like Wilshere, but did very well to carry the attack forward with more impetus than Wilshere was doing.

Özil doesn't dominate games on the ball, but he's the perfect #10 that we needed. We don't need someone who dominates the ball - we needed someone who is decisive when he does have it. It is where Özil puts the ball, what he does when he doesn't have the ball, and the kind of chances that he creates, that made his signing a good one.

Basically we needed Özil AND Higuain :lol:. We were flattering to deceive in the creative department and Özil ramped that up. Of course, we failed to sharpen the sword adequately. We have a chance to finally put that right.

Diego Costa is a good choice - he links up well, is athletic and changes games not through guile, but by force. As you say though, he isn't my ideal choice. I like Cavani because he's a counter-attacking forward. He is deceptively effective off the ball and when he plays deeper too. Napoli attacked with such venom and so quickly in Serie A when he was upfront. For an Italian team anyway :lol:.

Higuain hasn't exactly been as prolific as I thought he would be though. I really wanted us to get him, and thought he'd be a more accomplished finisher than Giroud. I still think he is, but now maybe see that we could do better than £33m on him.

People will not agree with me, but I think the way forward is a younger CF close to exploding.

I think Cazorla is as good a CAM, but even if he's not my reasoning was mainly Cazorla+Higuain>Özil+Giroud.

I too think we go for younger forwards, but I'm not sure it pays dividends anytime soon.

mo50

Established Member
-------Szczesny
Coleman--Per--Kos--Gibbs
----Ramsey--Bender
Theo----Özil---Chamberlain
-------Costa

An 80-90m+ outlay is needed if we're to win the league. The money is in the bank, the revenue streams are coming in and we're swimming with money. No excuse not to spend big this summer. None at all.

Let's just rape teams with pace, power and movement. We aren't winning the league with 5 midfielders + a big target man up top. We've already got some key tools for a dynamic attack, time to bring in the finishing pieces.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Agree with most of you on this page, especially @playmaker on his reasoning about backup CBS, because we have been extremely lucky with injuries to mert and kos.

@mutable really like your posts too. It's unbelievable how anyone can turn their nose up at a signing like Özil, you'd think we were a money laundering vehicle for oil barons or something :p

Anzac

Established Member
MutableEarth said:
Agree with Jones. I'd like to expand on the point about "names". I've alluded to this before (funny as this is the wishlist thread :lol:) but often people don't really think about the kinds of players they want the club to bring in outside of "well, they're WC so lets get them" and that's it. It's clearly not as simple as that, and we can't just go by the name.

For example, lots of people wishlisted Pogba - hell, I would have been excited at signing him - but in reality, the kind of player he is just isn't what we absolutely need. I'm not in the Diego Costa camp either, but he makes much more sense so I can understand why people want him. He does link up very well, has good athleticism, and is performing as a spearhead in an exemplary fashion for Athletico. Something that we need. But I wonder how many people want Costa because of that, or just because "he's good and scores goals"?

Forget the names for a second and look at their overall play. This is why I'm personally not insistent on this whole "They have to be WORLD CLASS and over-25". I guess I'm not burned by players with "potential", but I'm happy for players who are not only very good and on the cusp of brilliance, but who have specific traits that we need in this team - and they don't have to be popular names for that to happen.

Another expansion on this is that the types of players signed should also fit your patterns/design/style of play so as to provide the right balance to the team - horses for courses.

There is no point in having attacking roles for your WFs, FBs as well as a B2B role from CM, and then playing your CAM as advanced as your CF & SS.
By all means have the players capable of doing so, but don't play them all at once.

We lack balance across the team - not just in regards to the CMs, but also down the flanks.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
mavelous said:
Agree with most of you on this page, especially @playmaker on his reasoning about backup CBS, because we have been extremely lucky with injuries to mert and kos.

@mutable really like your posts too. It's unbelievable how anyone can turn their nose up at a signing like Özil, you'd think we were a money laundering vehicle for oil barons or something :p

Never turned my nose up at Özil, I said we'd be better getting a striker like Higuain than Özil given how badly we lack up front and how stacked we are with number 10s.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Just as our back 5 has got it's ship in order (bar a couple of freak results) we are faced with an Arsenal team who struggles to keep possession, can get out powered and most sadly of all doesn't look like scoring in big games. Wenger needs to decide which type of team that he is trying to build.

Personally I am happy that we have stopped this foolish high line defence but the drawback is that there is a bigger gap between defence, midfield and attack now which hinders our possession. Arteta is technically good but takes too many touches so has become a target for teams, Flamini is average in possession, Ramsey isn't bad but can get caught dawdling at times, Wilshere, Ox, Diaby (who) and even Rosicky can be guilty of losing the ball quite a lot - so why we try to play a possession game in midfield I have no idea!

Whilst being no pushovers we are hardly a physical force in midfield - any three from Arteta (bar his speed), Flamini, Ramsey, Diaby (who) and Ox can stand up to most in a physical battle but the reality is Özil is a nailed in starter as one of the midfield 3 and rightly so, so physicality will not be a focus of our midfield, add in Cazorla as well. SO why not build a counter attacking team????? Our defence has been brilliant, we have arguably the worlds best playmaker in Özil, arguably the worlds quickest player in Theo and probably the leagues form player before injury in Ramsey all we need is a ball winning midfielder who can turn defence into attack quickly and pace/directness in attack.

This makes Arteta redundant in our team, Diaby doesn't exist, Flamini is only good enough for the bench so we clearly need a ball winner in midfield who can playmake from deep or quickly turn the ball forward ala Vieira - think there are quite a few options here. Vidal, Bender, Khedeira are the clear choices but I am sure there are others. Get a player like this in our midfield paired with Ramsey and one of Özil/Cazorla in front and we are solid.

Okay pace and directness in attack this already negates the need for Giroud and Bendtner so bye, bye. Theo becomes critical so we bring in a wideman and use Theo as our number 2 striker in Girouds absence (could work) i.e. El Shawaary/Reus, Di Maria, Lavezzi, Pedro etc or we keep Theo wide and bring in a top class CF i.e. Costa, Benzema, Balotelli plus an up and coming young striker.

Counter attack is the way forward.Wenger can be trusted to do this.

Anzac

Established Member
And yet AW has talked about our playing higher in the last week against both CFC & Citeh.

In the game H v Swansea our line was as high as it's ever been.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720764/MatchReport/England-Premier-League-2013-2014-Arsenal-Swansea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720764 ... al-Swansea</a>

ArseGod

Ok so my dream summer:

Out: park, diaby, frimpong, bendy

Sell:
Coq 3
Miquel 1
Verm 15
Giroud 12
Campbell 7

38 made

In:

Costa: 34 (clause)
Srnic 5
Bender 22
Schneiderlein 16
Ginter 10

87 spent

87-38= 49 spent

We have additional transfer budget that goes to wages. Resign Sagna.

Starting line up of

Scez
Sagna mert kos Gibbs

Schneiderlein Ramsey
Özil

Walcott costa wilshere

Bench: Monreal, gk, ginter, bender, Ox, srnic, cazorla

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Balotelli and Morata look like the only realistic central strikers to me.

Bender/Schneiderlein/Khedira 18-28M
Two of Balo/Morata/Reus/El Shawaary 43-60M

Out
Giroud 10M
Podolski 10M

Maybe add a few young players in aswell but if we set the team up properly we really don't need a massive overhaul like some suggest. This summer is all about quality.

Charisma

We should have a look at Adam Lallana, he has really impressed me this season though Southampton will probably overprice him.

squallkid

Established Member
Tim Howard- Compete with chesney

Bender

Drmic

Cavani- swap deal for giroud + cash

Griezmann

That young German cb, Ginter

Out
Giroud
Bendnter
One of Arteta/Flamini since it makes little sense buying bender and having two over thirtys on high wages backing him up.
Podolski

Keep Sagna and vermaelen

The only thing on my list that is really out there is a giroud-cavani swap but if we give Psg say 50 million plus giroud, they get a back up striker who just happens to be French, recoup some of the money they spent on cavani, cavani gets to play first team football and we get the top striker we need, everybody wins.

truth_hurts

Charisma said:
We should have a look at Adam Lallana, he has really impressed me this season though Southampton will probably overprice him.[/quote
Not quite wishlist material but he wouldn't be a bad signing at all. Young but experienced, proven in the league, still room to develop and most of all hungry to succeed.

Would cost 15-20 million which is fair. Would prefer Reus or El Shawaary/Draxler but Llallana, Theo, Ox, Gnabry, Cazorla, Wilshere, Campbell is a very strong nucleus of wide forwards - i'd even somewhat enjoy seeing our 'weakest' 2 of Campbell and Gnabry line up on the wings. Bring in a top striker and use Theo as back up and all of a sudden our attack looks potent.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
As much as I like Lallana, I think we have enough attacking midfielders. Would rather Jay Rodriguez from Southampton.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Lallana is brilliant, should be at a Top 4 side I think. Mind you, he'll probably do something stupid and end up at Sp**s.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I think he's made for Liverpool tbh.

Seen Mario was on target for Milan yet again, the more I think of him coming here the more in makes sense to me. It just seems to make sense, despite his explosive personality at times he's unbelievably talented and would do an unbelievable job leading the line for us. I also think Wenger could get the best out of him, the guys a winner... like Suarez, for all his faults he wants to win and is potentially world class when give service and under the right conditions.

truth_hurts

As a AC fan am not sure if Mario would leave? particularly if Seedorf stayed, would love him here though as he is everything that an Arsenal striker should be.

Honestly don't think and front 4 in the league could match Theo, Özil, Mario + Santi/Ox/New signing for all round class and attacking threat not united, not city, not liverpool or Chelsea.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom