• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pires in Euro 2000

namliam

I know ppl are really interested in whether reyes will get in the spanish side and all..but im just wondering if Pire swill even start at all...I remember Santini said zidane and pires cant play together..but on current form I would seriously play Pires instead..Zidane has had a shocking run of form..and even he has admitted so....it would really be a travesty to justice if Pires does not start for France as he has been in such great form and although he is apprecaited in the EPL I think he is yet to gain recognition on the world stage due to his unlucky injury in WC 2002 tho he was player of the tournament in the confederations cup.
I really hope Pires does start and makes a big impact together with Titi and Vieira ... Pires is so underrated in my view and he really needs this chance to shine and show everyone just how good he is.

SANTINI better start him..(if wiltord starts but pires dosent......i dont know wat to say..)

JazzG

Established Member
Damn here is me thinking someone was gonna do a right up on how Pires played in Euro 2000 ;)

namliam said:
SANTINI better start him..(if wiltord starts but pires dosent......i dont know wat to say..)

Not quite as simple as that. Santini seems to use his brain more often than not which is something that can't be said about certain other managers. He plays players in their proper position, you can not leave Zidane in his current form out of the french side. For over 5 years now he has been easily their most influential player so Santini would be mad to drop him, he is still playing at the highest level and still looking damn good. Unfortunately for Bobby he plays in the same position as Zidane. Upto around March my god was he good for R.Madrid, however seeing as they can't defend to save their life the attacking players good work is usually going to waste. I somehow doubt Santini would play Pires on the right hand side as he just isn't as good there and doesn't play there for his club. However Wiltord does play on the right for us and Giuly has done well on the right for France as well.

It is real tough of Bobby because he would probably get in near enough every other national teams first XI

Aussie

Established Member
You have to feel for Bobby he is world class but there is someone who is slightly better than him form his own country. He would start in just about every other nations starting 11.

If you want Bobby you could get become an Aussie im pretty sure you would start in our side. :wink:

Andrew

Why not:

Pires - Zidane - Vieira - some right midfielder

That's a great midfield and each player is playing in there prefered position. Put someone half decent on the right, even Wiltord would do, and it's a fine midfield. Can't see why Pires and Zidane can't play together. Pires should definitely play on the left though so he can link up with Henry like he does at Arsenal. If that happens we will most likely see Henry and Pires perform for France like they do regularly for us. Or has Zidane all of a sudden become a left midfielder?

Shirley

I cannot think of any reason why Pires will not start.

Pires + Zidane...

France is very strong.

KingReyes

Established Member
BrianFrance could maybe tell us the france formation more than anyone I guess. However I do assume that Vieira, Zidane, Henry, Makelele, Trezeguet willl play in this kind of formation maybe..

Trez

Henry Zidane Pires??

Vieira Makelele

namliam

Well apparently Santini has claimed that Zidane and Pires are incompatible and that he cant play both at the same time..I dont think it has anything to do about positions..and thats why I cant understand why Santini's stance

Sammer

Established Member
namliam said:
Well apparently Santini has claimed that Zidane and Pires are incompatible and that he cant play both at the same time..I dont think it has anything to do about positions..and thats why I cant understand why Santini's stance

That´s a bogus statement. I have seen Zidane & Pires rip the german team apartin Gelsenkirchen in November, so that Santini-statement is nothing but a bad excuse.

What it comes down to is: does Santini want a more defensive or offensive orientated midfield.

Adam

Established Member
Zidane and Pires link up beautifully. Not to mention the Pires-Lizerazu-Henry link up. France's problem is the right, where Giuly/Wiltord will play.

In the middle i hope it is Zidane and Vieira. Not Makelele and Vieira, because that means Zidane will be on the left. Pires will not be played on the right.

JazzG

Established Member
I remember reading a while back Santini saying his middle will always have Vieira + Makelele. Reason is because defensively it is very solid and with Paddy there they can attack through the centre as well.

Gurgen

Established Member
KingReyes said:
BrianFrance could maybe tell us the france formation more than anyone I guess. However I do assume that Vieira, Zidane, Henry, Makelele, Trezeguet willl play in this kind of formation maybe..

Trez

Henry Zidane Pires??

Vieira Makelele

Henry always plays second striker next to Trez, not behind him.

If I were the France manager, I'd do this:

-------Henry-----Trezeguet------

--Pires-----Zidane----Giuly-----

------------Vieira-----------------

DL----Thuram-----Gallas---DR--

------------GK--------------------

But, unfortunatly, I'm not :(

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom