• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dennis Bergkamp and His Fear Of Flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLC

I was having a debate with a mate today over Dennis Bergkamp. He believes our European chances have been adversly affected in previous years by Dennis' fear of flying. I agree that we often had to change our style as a result but should we try techniques such as hypnotism or sedation to get him on a plane?

He has his reasons for his fear and perhaps we should respect that. However, modern techniques have improved and i know someone that has overcome her fear of flying. So should we let him be or try and help him?

Vote now!

AFCG7

Established Member
I'm not sure one way or the other .. but someone must have tried to convince him to get over it, obviously it hasnt worked so far.
I dont know anyone personally who has a fear of flying so i really dont know how bad it is with Dennis.. but his situation was very traumatic because he had a scare himself while on a flight and then the entire under 23 team died in a plane crash, some of those on the team were close friends.
Some people never recover from that kind of trauma and maybe even thinking of flying affects him that much mentally that it would be better for him to stay away.
But , if there was a chance that he could be 'cured' and he agrees to trying it then i think he should go ahead.

The Mini

This is more than someone having a fear of spiders because they're icky... his dad died on one, it's quite distressing.

lewdikris

Established Member
I think it's a bit late now to be honest...

Dennis' fear isn't so much an irrational phobia, which can be treated - more that he took a decision not to fly again after two horrible incidents.

5 years ago i'd of said yes, but in his last season it's a waste of time.

melto

Maybe it has in the past effected us but what is the problem, we have just finished top of our group without him being at the away games so we did not need him anyway??

also agree with an earlier comment he might not even be there to travel next season

beaney

let him be i say, a fear of flying is something hard to overcome and if he can live with without flying thats up to him.

va_va_voom

You'd bet ya mortgage on him driving to Germany for the final of the Champs League though if we got there wouldn't you!!!!!

Adam

Established Member
va_va_voom said:
You'd bet ya mortgage on him driving to Germany for the final of the Champs League though if we got there wouldn't you!!!!!

I remember there was a chance he was going to drive to the Dortmund away game last season. Wenger drew the line. I don't think he'd do that to Dennis in his last season if we did get to the final.

A

Anonymous

bergkamp is a massive burden on the team. Does not travel and score .

You guys might say he provides, i say Henry is the assist king now!

he is old and should have retired last year

Players like him stop talent like Ali to flurish and he should realise that

melto

bit harsh on Bergkamp that aint it mate??? how can you say he is too old when outrun the brummie defence from the half way line,

and

who sets up henry for most of his goals, Bergy certainly set him up enough against loco, so lay off Dennis!!!!

SF Gooner

You can' get on Bergkamp. He has done so much for this club, and while he's not what he used to be, he still makes an impact on the field when he's out there. He's one of the best players ever to me and the sole reason why I started to watch Arsenal.

Alexone234

The thing with treatment for a phobia is that you know that once the treatment is over, you are going to put yourself in a position near whatever the phobia is.

Example. DB is scared of flying. DB knows if he has treatment, he will get on a plane. Therefore DB doesn't want treatment because he doesn't want to get on the plane.

koivu

I agree, you cannot talk smack about Bergy after all he has done...He is also my favourite player of all-time, and the main reason I started supporting Arsenal. He's still capable of doing great things.

MancunianGunner

henry_14 said:
bergkamp is a massive burden on the team. Does not travel and score .

You guys might say he provides, i say Henry is the assist king now!

he is old and should have retired last year

Players like him stop talent like Ali to flurish and he should realise that
still waitin for the bugger to flourish.

i'll be well annoyed if bergkamp starts taking flying lessons now that he's retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom