• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Week no.10: Sylvain WILTORD

bobbypires

Established Member
He leaves this summer. What do you think about his life at Highbury? Almost 200 games and 49 goals for Arsenal, but he spent a lot of time injured here. Stunning starts of the season and that goal at Old Trafford were his best moments.

Name Sylvain Wiltord
Born 10 May 1974, Neuilly-sar-Marne
Position Striker
Country France
Height 174cm / 5'9
Weight 78kg / 173lb
Joined Arsenal 29 August 2000
Arsenal Debut Premier League v Chelsea (a) 6th Sep 2000 (Drew 2-2)
Previous Club Rennes, Deportivo de La Coruña, Bordeaux

Will you miss him?

jc8gooner

Unlike most, I will have fond memories of Sylvain. He seemed a fun kinda guy, always laughing and joking and who will forget him celebrating the double in 2002?
Furthermore, I thought he was a good player too. 49 goals for a player often played out of position is pretty good. He adapted well to playing on the right when Freddie and Bobby were injured and scored some crucial goals.
His most memorable moment has to be the goal at Old Ratford, a crowning moment without doubt. Apart from that I will always remember his hot streak at the start of the 2002/2003 season, especially the goal against Brum, and all the goals he scored against Chelsea.
I think he has been given a lot of unfair stick by Arsenal fans. Up until this season, he has always given 100%, even when played out of position. He rarely lost possession and his turns, which earned him the nickname Spinner, were invariably effective.
Perhaps my only criticism is the fact that he has been unable to create a successful partnership with Henry over the last few years. On top of that, his finishing has sometimes been a bit wayward, but that was often due to the fact that he lacked confidence in front of goal due to being played out of position.
Nevertheless, I will always remember Sylvain as a player who worked hard for the team and scored several important goals for Arsenal between 2000 and 2003.

A

Anonymous

Wiltord still has the magic and I hope he was still around. He can still play alongside our greats and it's, in my reckoning, animosity from fans that is showing him the door.

I hope he continues to have a successful career upon leaving Arsenal.

A

Anonymous

jc8gooner said:
Unlike most, I will have fond memories of Sylvain. He seemed a fun kinda guy, always laughing and joking and who will forget him celebrating the double in 2002?
Furthermore, I thought he was a good player too. 49 goals for a player often played out of position is pretty good. He adapted well to playing on the right when Freddie and Bobby were injured and scored some crucial goals.
His most memorable moment has to be the goal at Old Ratford, a crowning moment without doubt. Apart from that I will always remember his hot streak at the start of the 2002/2003 season, especially the goal against Brum, and all the goals he scored against Chelsea.
I think he has been given a lot of unfair stick by Arsenal fans. Up until this season, he has always given 100%, even when played out of position. He rarely lost possession and his turns, which earned him the nickname Spinner, were invariably effective.
Perhaps my only criticism is the fact that he has been unable to create a successful partnership with Henry over the last few years. On top of that, his finishing has sometimes been a bit wayward, but that was often due to the fact that he lacked confidence in front of goal due to being played out of position.
Nevertheless, I will always remember Sylvain as a player who worked hard for the team and scored several important goals for Arsenal between 2000 and 2003.

Spot on.

It seems players in out team who dont have the star qualities ie Lauren, Gilberto and Wiltord are given so much unfair stick.

I have always liked Wiltord, although have lost a bit of respect for him over the contract situation.
But over his time here he has scored some very vital goals for us, and would have liked him to stay.

A

Anonymous

If you saw the bonus package structure at Highbury and what Wiltord was fighting for, you'd understand. Most Arsenal players leave each year with more than 2 million in their pocket.

JazzG

Established Member
Good player but in his last 2 seasons for us has struggled to be conistant, well actually in this season has had problems with injuries. Always thought he had the technical qualities to do well but was never sure about his commitment.

I have fond memories of him as well like his goal against the Mancs. However I also have some really bad ones. I don't know why but I can remember vividly remember him losing the ball to Vicente when we played Valencia and then they scored. I'd be lying if I said it still doesn't bother me.....

kanuuu

Established Member
I don't know why but I can remember vividly remember him losing the ball to Vicente when we played Valencia and then they scored. I'd be lying if I said it still doesn't bother me.....

I also remember him losing the ball against Bolton and just sticking his tongue out, in the match when they came back to draw 2-2, very irritating. Although i have always liked him as a player and he played really well at the beginning of 02/03 when Bob and Freddy were injured.

Aussie

Established Member
Could never achive consistency at Arsenal. Great some games and utter useless the next. He had his moments for us OLD TRAFFORD is what i will remember him by.

Gooner_Milton

I'm a strong supporter of Arsenal Youth.

Wiltord leaving will mean more chances for the likes of Ali, Bergy MK II etc.

He's done his part for the club and for that I salute him and wish him all the best.

Mark

Established Member
I will also miss Wiltord and get annoyed when people say he was always rubbish for us. He may not have been as amazing as Henry and Pires, but come on - who is? He was brilliant for us during our 01/02 season with lots of goals and assists and will always be a legend here for the winning goal at Old Trafford. Nothing can take that away from him. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

A

Anonymous

Aussie said:
Could never achive consistency at Arsenal. Great some games and utter useless the next. He had his moments for us OLD TRAFFORD is what i will remember him by.

He played in more games than anyone else in his first few seasons at Arsenal. In that period we won more with him than without him.

I would say consistency is "archived" and relevant. Just far too many moaners and far too many people who don't understand football, actually.

A

Anonymous

Aussie said:
Could never achive consistency at Arsenal. Great some games and utter useless the next.

You obviously don't watch many Arsenal games. CER is right. Wiltord was always consistent for us before this season and has always been a great player for us.

You just can't satisfy some people. You just can't explain good football to others. You're both.

beanz

clockendrising said:
Wiltord still has the magic and I hope he was still around. He can still play alongside our greats and it's, in my reckoning, animosity from fans that is showing him the door.

I hope he continues to have a successful career upon leaving Arsenal.
I think you're giving too much credence to the power of fans to affect (or effect, depending on your view) the way players are selected to play or not.
I like Sylvains busy and skillful style, but his results on the pitch recently have been a wee bit disappointing. :mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

beanz said:
I think you're giving too much credence to the power of fans to affect (or effect, depending on your view) the way players are selected to play or not.
I like Sylvains busy and skillful style, but his results on the pitch recently have been a wee bit disappointing. :mrgreen:

Maybe. I also always admire him.

I don't think there is any reason to giving Wiltord a bad name in any way after all he has done for the club. Can the player who plays the most games for the club really be that bad?

The man has been part and parcel of very successful Arsenal run and it all started when he arrived. He was like the missing cog for Vieira, Pires and Henry as Adams and Dixon call them, the four musketeers.

Now one of the Musketeers is leaving. I think the fans give him a bad name and many of them don't even watch many games.

Henry IV

Wiltord has been a very important part of the success at Arsenal in the past few years and he has scored many crucial goals for us, such as the 2002 title clincher at OT and the second goal at OT in the 2003 FA Cup. I hope he achieves more success wherever he ends up going.

Asterix

Established Member
Yeah, good luck to him. Even if the only goal he ever scored for us was the one at OT he'd be all right with me. I remember a funny mis-hit goal (against Everton?) as well that looped in.

Clockendrising - who is that in your picture? Is it someone I should know, or someone not known to Aussies? Whoever she is I hope she's a gooner.

A

Anonymous

The girl in the pic is Eliza Dushku. She's the lead in Tru Calling, which is an american TV Show. She used to be faith in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom