• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pennant....

asajoseph

Established Member
Will Pennant get a chance next season? Or will we look to offload him? I have a suspiscion that we might have sold him to Leeds, had they not been relegated...

JazzG

Established Member
I don't know if Wenger will give him another chance tbh. A few times he has done silly things and he has been warned in the past. Until we see him play for us we can't say if he will ever make it in our team, don't think any Leeds fan was disappointed with him and all said good things about him which is obviously a good thing. But lets be honest the players around him weren't exactly class.

Would like to give him one chance. I've lost patience with Freddie tbh, he is a good solid player but quite inconsistant which is mainly due to him being very injury prone. 3 seasons in a row he has missed large chunks due to injury.

asajoseph

Established Member
I think Pennant should definitely get a shot during the pre-season. We'll get a better idea of what he can do for Arsenal then. I think we might get a pleasant surprise from him, if Wenger shows faith.

JazzG

Established Member
I think Wenger possibly has concerns about how professional he is, a few times in his career he has been caught up in controversy when it could of been avoided.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
In a way, this may have worked out very well for JP, replacing Freddie in the side, though still difficult, would be less awkward now than at the end of 2002. Given Freddie's injury problems!

TRUE GUNNER

i hope he doesnt get a chance because hes a big headed git, who thinks he can go out every night clubbing, well that aint happening at arsenal. Until he starts acting like a professional they should just stick him in the reserves and get him to learn the hard way.

And plus hes not good enough to get into our squad, he only looked good at leeds because he was in the worst team in the league, i mean most people on here would look good playing for leeds :D

A

Anonymous

Pennant has proved numerous times that he is a Great player and professional player on and off the field, which is something that has been echoed by Wenger since then as well.

I do believe he will return and fight for a first team place next season. He is a great squad player, respected by the Arsenal players and has shown he can cut it at the highest level.

I know many people read Tabloids but they are called Tabloids for a reason so should be ignored 99% of the time. If you believe them and live your life by them you're missing the point of their publication.

Think about it. Why didn't the Times or the broadsheets publish any damning inaccurate and conjectured article about Pennant? I have them on CD-Rom here and I haven't found a damning article about Pennant in them.

So, can we talk about his footballing career now without turning into a bunch of dippy girls who like gossip?

(or am I far from being mistaken that you can't live a life far from gossip?)

A

Anonymous

I agree wholeheartedly.

Pennant was in the papers for drink-driving. Since then he has been respected by Wenger and another member of the Arsenal coaching staff.

Like anyone else he was caught and was taken in by the law and tried and sentenced. So does that give anyone reason to assassinate his character?

The self-righteous attitude of some members here is a complete and utter joke.

Adam

Established Member
We have to be convinced by his ability; his ability to score goals like Ljungberg, and assist within Arsenal's game. The crosses will not be too useful, and Lauren already does whip in a fair few with Freddie when they cannot penetrate down there. Chelsea and United have wingers like Robben and Ronaldo, and Pennant doesn't have their talent. Do we want to be weaker than our opponents in crucial wide positions? Ljungberg is at least proven to beat these guys in end product - goals. Of course, these opposions players do not affect our play - i am just giving an indication of the type of competitive quality that is out there in comparison.

Aussie

Established Member
I belive he has one more year of his contract left?

If so he will have to prove himself this year if he wants a career at the gunners. In my eyes Freddies footballing ability is far superior to JP and JP will get very limited chances this year only playing when Fred needs a rest or is injured. He will have to show something in the limited game time he gets or he may find him self at another club.

If Freddie gets a long term injury i dont belive at this stage he will be able to cover for him for half a season or so. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

va_va_voom

He's obviously a talented lad, but that isn't enough at this level. Its time he showed the application to go with that talent. If he applies himself, who knows?

A

Anonymous

i hope he doesnt get a chance because hes a big headed git, who thinks he can go out every night clubbing, well that aint happening at arsenal. Until he starts acting like a professional they should just stick him in the reserves and get him to learn the hard way.

And plus hes not good enough to get into our squad, he only looked good at leeds because he was in the worst team in the league, i mean most people on here would look good playing for leeds
Sorry, but that is total ****. Wenger has said he wants JP back at highbury next year, JP has said he wants another chance. He should get it. It is harder to look good in a **** team than it is in a good team. so your statement about him being good for leeds is ****e. if he played for us he would be even better. look at gilberto, looks alrite arouind paddy, when paddy is injured gilbert looks like a lost puppy. JP has had professional problems in the past, hes grown up and isnt as bad as people say. As for goin out clubbing, EVERY new age player is like that - cole,defoe, smith, woodgate, bramble, bowyer, bellamy, rooney too name a few. They are all over paid jack the lads who think they are above everyone and the law. So it is wrong to target JP. he is a class act, he will come back, and in a few games all these haters here - who have never ever seen him play - will soon be licking his arse.
regards

Aussie

Established Member
A question for the people who think he is ****e.

How many games did you see him play for leeds not just highlights but FULL games and not against us. Most people that re judging him have hardly seen him play this season. Give him a chance he has great talent and he deserves a chance.

The Mini

There is a chance that he will become first choice in a couple of years. Pires will retire, Freddie will move to the left, where imo he is better and he Jermaine will move into the RM position.

kanuuu

Established Member
I've only seen him play a few times, mainly for the England U21's and i have been impressed every time i've seen him play, if he can perform like that for us then Freddie isn't going to be able to keep his place playing like he has been for the last couple of seasons.

Aussie

Established Member
It may also push Freddie that extra bit further now having someone in direct compitition with him.

Isragooner

TRUE GUNNER said:
And plus hes not good enough to get into our squad, he only looked good at leeds because he was in the worst team in the league, i mean most people on here would look good playing for leeds :D

Well,by that logic,i wanna see how pires/Henry/Viera will perform with leeds current squad?

Gooner_Milton

I believe next season is his breakthrough season. He's already been on loan and from what we've all heard he's done quite well.

I actually see similarities between Pennant and Cole. Both are young and English. Both went out on loan and did quite well at their respective loanee clubs. Cole got his chance at left back due to Silvinho's injuries. A chance in which he seized and never looked back. Pennant is in that very situation right now. He's back from a whole season on loan with quite a bit of experience under his belt. Ljunberg is inconsistent and injury prone throughout the season, who else better to replace him?

Pennant will have opportunities next year to displace Freddie. It's only a matter of staying healthy, staying out of trouble and playing his arse off when the time comes. If Ash can do it, why can't Jermaine?

Pity about Freddie though. He's one of my favourite Gooners and I would like to see him stay.

1 start in the Premiership for us - 3 goals

He deserves a chance at least, i'd say he has matured a bit at Leeds and probaly realises how lucky he is too have another chance at Arsenal

KingReyes

Established Member
I think JP has doen well with Leeds. At Arsenal he will have quality players around him therefore he can become better but will ned to be given a chance to do so. For that to happen he must have impressed Wenger when with Leeds. I think Arsène's final decision on Pennant will come in pre-season.

Top Bottom