• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

I dont get this, can someone please explain why....

thegame24

Established Member
...Lampard is given the holding role in England while Gerrard is given the attacking role?

Lampard is anything but a defender and Gerrard is a far better defender then he is an attacker, It just doesnt make sence.

Ok they may change during the match but why are they placed there in the first place????

shouldnt it be

Scholes

Lampard Beckham

Gerrard

????

lewdikris

Established Member
It does seem a little odd I admit - but I think Sven's logic is that he wants his two best passers Stevie G and Beckham to be out wide supplying balls over the top for Owen and Rooney to run onto, whilst Lampard breaks through the middle occasionally to keep up with Scholes. And also they can just rotate through the positions according to what the other is doing....

thegame24

Established Member
Im watching Japan game now and Lampard is just wasted, Japan have done well in midfield, imagine what France will do to them.

kanuuu

Established Member
And also they can just rotate through the positions according to what the other is doing....

That's what's been happening so far.

Does anyone else find Scholes' crap tackling annoying? Has he ever actually tackled somebody fairly? I think he should get as far away from the ball as possible whenever the other team are in possession because he keeps giving free kicks away and was lucky not to have given Japan a penalty!

Henry IV

I'm sick of Scholes crap tackling. He'll seriously injure someone. Myles Palmer of ANR and The Professor slated him for it just before the 2002 World Cup, in one of his articles, saying that Scholes might get a red card during the competition if he went on like that. Why is he in England's starting XI all the time?

KingReyes

Established Member
lewdikris said:
It does seem a little odd I admit - but I think Sven's logic is that he wants his two best passers Stevie G and Beckham to be out wide supplying balls over the top for Owen and Rooney to run onto, whilst Lampard breaks through the middle occasionally to keep up with Scholes. And also they can just rotate through the positions according to what the other is doing....

Thats what they were doing, attacking wise they looked good but on the counter attack defensively they were poor and as i mentioned on another thread the back four were left with a Japanese midfield in front of them. Noone to protect them. Lampard was poor in that holding postion in front of the CB's

liam346

i suspect suspect Sven is trying to squeeze his best players into the midfield, but i think he may have to choose between Lampard and Stevie G.........

He's trying to squeeze square pegs into round holes with the left hand side being the problem............

My team for what its worth would be

James

Neville Terry Campbell Bridge

Becks Gerrard Hargreaves Cole

Rooney Owen

I think Cole/Bridge combo would sort out the left hand side as a unit.Hargreaves could sit and hold allowing Stevie G to do what he does best.....everything

A.Hussain

nah, havin hargreaves and gerrard in the same side may be too defensively conservative. lampard playin in the hole behind the strikers may work better. u can still have a 3 man mid with lampard in front.

Marinello

Rio is having his samples counted, but he couldn't find his first so he is raving around some wilderness looking for it.

The midfield choise for England should come down to Lampard or Scholes as Gerrard is an obvious choise. So is Lampard, and that leaves Scholes out - unless he can play left midfield....

beaney

nah, havin hargreaves and gerrard in the same side may be too defensively conservative

i would still play them both, but the formation yesterday was WRONG!!!!!
or at least the players plyaing in that formation!

back 5 fine. front 2 fine.

midfield: IMO:

hargreaves gerrard lampard beckham

or: 3 accross the middle with a player in the hole(doesnt have to be scholes)

scholes
gerrard lampard beckham

you could even put becks in the hole and put hargreaves on the right in a 3 man midfield.

becks
gerrard lampard hargreaves

beanz

beaney said:
scholes ad becks are supposed to be in the middle by the way!!!!
"in the hole"
They sure dug themselves a hole last night, hope they can get out of it before the France match! :mrgreen:

orion

Though England are not my team, I would imply the following line up;

---------------------James
-------------Terry-------- Cambell
Neville -------------------------------Cole
--------------------------Hargraves
--------------Gerrard
Beckham ------------Scholes (Lampard)
---------------------------------Rooney
----------------Owen

Hargraves would be a good match with Gerrard making the midfield more solid, allowing Cole to make those bursts upfield on the left and with Rooney also coming to pick balls from the left, Scholes (or Lampard) would be free to drift inwards, potentially making the defences confused about man marking.

GlasgowGooner

Gerrard is much better behind the two strikers, he is very limited when he has to play the Hamman and you can see the differnce in him when Hamann is actually playing.

Aussie

Established Member
Well you will need to do a lot better than that against France or they will rip you to shreds and i will :lol: :lol:

Ridge

just drop scholes and play gerrard and lampard in the midfield. it would be a great partnership. imagine them against vieira and makalele. :mrgreen:

Gooner_Milton

it won't be them against vieira and makalele.

more like vieira and zidane.

no offense to the england fans but gerrard/lampard partnership still untested compared to the vieira/zidane one. One for the future perhaps but not for this upcoming tournament.

Top Bottom